Notices

New drug called sober

Old 11-07-2005, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New drug called sober

Hi everyone,

Okay so it's only day 4, but this new drug called being sober is pretty awesome.

sleep: i don't sleep soundly yet, but i didn't sleep soundly when i pretty much passed out by 9:00 pm and woke up at 3:00 am, then fell back to sleep by 6:00 am, then got up at 6:30 to get my daughter off to school. i was always in a sleepless kind of hangover fog. so the sleep i am getting is a better caliber of sleep i think. i know others have posted this perception also.

energy: i've always been a high energy person even when drinking, but much more so when not drinking. (thinking back to when i was 27). actually, i could almost feel myself launch into orbit sometimes. maybe part of using alcohol was to calm myself??? whatever it is, i'll take the super high energy without alcohol and find other ways to calm myself.

no lack of things to do: actually there is much i put off doing because of time wasted drinking and always a "sometimes a little, sometimes alot" of a hangover (plus the poor sleep quality). with 1 daughter, 5 acres, 2 horses, a dog and cat, a house i'm renovating, a full time job, and an ex-partner who never helped out, i was always busy. but now i am getting to the little things. plus i make quilts, so i have that too. maybe won't have to rip out so many seams now for lack of poor attention.

i was a highly functioning drinker, even on my worst days i got alot accomplished, but in a bit of a fog and looking forward to 5:30 to have a drink. this is much, much better.

thanks for listening. wishing everyone a great, brand new sober day.

linda
Old 11-07-2005, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are sounding super Linda!

I am so pleased for you. Blessings
Old 11-07-2005, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey thanks you two. one day at a time, but i'm very motivated to do this. and the biggest help was my ex-partner moving out (thus moving out 6.5 years of emotional abuse) and calling me at night when he's into his 6th or 7th beer (he's cordial, but i'm not falling into his "take me back, see how nice i am?" trap again). we are not enemies, there are many things i love about him, but he has serious issues that i can't live with. not drinking is giving me my sense of self back.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Hey rider! Congrats on your 4th day. It does get even better if you can believe it Your very right. Sobriety can be a new high for us all. I can't speak for everyone else here but I know I am SO Much happier and do have more energy. I feel just plain GOOD. You're feelin' it too. Enjoy it, Revel in it and keep it going.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for the encouragement Chy and 4Health.

i'm having a "moment" right now though. i stacked a whole cord of wood today and feel now that i want a "reward" for my hard work. my daughter made me a hot chocolate which tastes pretty darn good. maybe my blood sugar is just low, i tend not to eat much (which used to give alcohol a huge impact on me, i always had an empty stomach when i drank). . .
Old 11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats Linda, you sound wonderful!

It only gets better !
HUGX
Lee
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lee, i feel darn good. thanx for hugx!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you are on the right track

best
fraankie
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Michael

Linda,
The ability to sleep well and the quality of sleep that I get now that I am sober are a constant source of delight to me. That sentence may sound a bit weird but in drink I had become accustomed to a sleep pattern very much like the one you described. I would go to bed at about 11 pm and sleep until perhaps 3 am. When I woke it was with such a suddenness and a complete return to consciousness that I knew I would not fall back to sleep again. I would lie in bed for those hours with my mind racing, trying to fill in the black-outs, wondering who I had offended or hurt. I would get up at about 7 am and feel like death warmed up and start planning my next drink.
Now that I sleep well I constantly remind myself of this enormous benefit of sobriety. I try hard to not take it for granted and use it to oppose any desire to drink.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning rider

Hows things with you today ? Hope you are feeling good
HUGX
Lee
Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[U]"new drug called sober'[/U]
that is so cool