Notices

Caffeine and Nicotine.. way ^

Old 11-04-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Caffeine and Nicotine.. way ^

One thing I have noticed since i stopped drinking and drugging is my caffeine intake has skyrocketed and im chewing a lot more. I also have picked up the habit of smoking as well. I guess i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. thanx, Matt
Old 11-04-2005, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I gave up smoking three months after getting sober, but my caffine intake definately skyrocketed. That is until three years ago when I developed heart palpitations, then I quit that too. Like a true addict though, when they finally stopped, I was right back in line at Starbucks.....

Old 11-05-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I drink coffee way more than I used to. I already smoked before getting sober but can't really tell that that has increased much except I do tend to smoke more at meetings.

For me it is first things first. I know that nicotine and caffeine are not good for us but alcohol was deadly for me and is my primary enemy. I have also gained weight since getting sober. I will address these things (weight and smoking) but my first and foremost priority is and will continue to be sobriety if I wish to continue living (which I do today by the way!)

Just my .02,
Kellye
Old 11-05-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Totally

Yes Matt, I am addicted to caffine in a big way. I drink Diet Pepsi similar to the way I used to drink beer, and I am 7 years sober. I used to chew 1 tin per day of Coppenhagen, and I smoked 1 pack a day of Newports. I quit chewing after 3 years into my sobriety, and I quit smoking 2 years after that. It was damn hard though. Next on my list is the caffine, but I am not quite ready yet. I am very proud that I have remained sober and I have become such a better person that I am willing to forgive myself for the other stuff. Addicts are addicts I have learned. I just wish I would get addicted to Carrots or something like that for a change!!!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yup
Caffeine is top of my list too. I drink Diet Pepsi like crazy, but better than Miller Lite by the case full like the "good old days".
JMHS
Old 11-05-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Kelly,

You can still smoke in meetings? I can't believe it! There's not one smoking meeting anywhere around me. I wish I could...but understand that some people don't like it. Besides, the "smoking area" outside is a great place to meet people!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, jusme,
We in California are lucky. In other states they can even still smoke in restaurants! As a nonsmoker, this always amazes me when I travel.
Most of the tools you all used to quit drinking can be used to quit smoking: managing urges, behavioral approaches, etc. I've heard it's harder, though.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the meetings i go to kinda vary, theres a few smoking meetings, but then there are some in churches and those are definetly no-no's. but thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jusme
Hey Kelly,

You can still smoke in meetings? I can't believe it! There's not one smoking meeting anywhere around me. I wish I could...but understand that some people don't like it. Besides, the "smoking area" outside is a great place to meet people!
Group 3 doesn't allow smoking anymore??? God, they must have lost half their members!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Michael

I love my caffeine and I always have done. Since becoming sober I definitely drink more coffee and I thoroughly enjoy it. I bought a new espresso machine a few weeks ago and it's my pride and joy.
If I thought it was doing me any harm I would drop it as quick as I could but I am certain that it isn't a problem. For most of the week I drink water or weak coffee only and I don't miss the espresso.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 11-05-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I started drinking coffee after I quit drinking. Now, that is my only vice. Hey...I don't want to blind anyone with my halo. I figure one vice will take the glow down a notch. It sure beats drinking booze.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I make coffee so strong, you can feel your hair grow.

Darned if I didn't make a stout pot the other night when, I opened up my home group.

Up all night and when, I finally fell asleep had the strangest dreams.

Try going to half and half. I've been reading a lot of good things about tea of late. You might try that instead of coffee
Old 11-05-2005, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

jusme,

Yes you can still smoke in meetings, at least here in Texas. My home group is full of smokers. The subject of non-smoking has come up at group conscience numerous times and it's never voted in. They FINALLY got one non-smoking on Sundays.

Now, I spend the weekends in a different part of town with my SO. Some of the groups we go to allow smoking and some don't. It doesn't bother me either way, if it is non-smoking I can go for an hour, geesh!!! Some get really resentful about it though. I know that some don't like the smoke and we usually keep the doors open for ventilation. I also try not to sit next to a known non-smoker if I can help it so as not to subject them to it. If I do find myself next to one, my smoking for that hour goes way down!!

As for the coffee, I make mine strong too and my sponsor informed me that was one of the ways I am selfish and self-centered when I make the coffee at group to suit "my" tastes. God, I about died. Here I thought I was doing service work and get told I'm being selfish. Needless to say, I am very aware of how much I put in when I make my pots there these days LOL!

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-05-2005, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just for the record...
Deaths annually attributable to alcohol in the US: 75,000
Deaths annually attributable to smoking in the US: >400,000.

Cigarettes are by far the single leading preventable cause of death.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Point taken.

For me, alcohol is a more immediate cause of death for me to drink is to die. I hope to quit at some point but right now my primary focus is on staying sober one day at a time. Not to say that you can't do both but I'm just not there yet.

Thanks,
Kellye
Old 11-05-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

By the way, to add one more thought. I don't want to give the impression that I was glorifying smoking in my groups. It is a nasty habit and one I wish to hell I'd never picked up. I started smoking when I started drinking (about 5 years ago).

Thanks again,
Kellye
Old 11-05-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The amount of coffee I drink since becoming sober has increased A LOT. I used to drink 1 or 2 cups a day and I'm now up to 5 or 6, plus a couple bottles of iced tea a day. I've smoked since I was 15, am now 34. I know I MUST quit smoking next....and soon. I know (acquaintances) 2 people who've been diagnosed with lung cancer in the past 3 months. One of them has been told she will be lucky if she lives to see Christmas this year. Very sad
Old 11-05-2005, 04:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi Kellye

I think many people feel exactly the same way you do.
I don't know anyone who thinks smoking is just the greatest, we all
know it's terrible,, but alot of people also feel the same way you do, at the
moment their primary focus is to stay clean and sober, and in time, tackle
smoking,, and caffiene..

The place I have went to detox many times, and also to treatment in,,
required no smoking, but they also required NO Caffeine,, so they put a cig patch
on you when you walk in the door if you are a smoker, but they also start you on
caffiene taper. You would not believe the people that were just sick with out their coffee,,, there were an awful lot of people "sneaking" down to the cafeteria for
a cup of coffee during free time.. I believe most of the nurses turned their heads
when they knew what people were doing. Same with the people that were sneaing out for a smoke..
I also went to a treamtent center last year, for detox only and they alloed smoking outside, and they also allowed caffiene..
The first center believed a drug is a drug is a drug.. Whether it was alcohol, drugs, caffiene or nicotine, or anything else addicting.

By the way,, I have never tried to quit smoking,, and I have been smoking since I was in my teens,, and 2 years ago I had pnemonia 2 times in 1 winter and I was 35,, and I have it most winters once,, well, I finally decided I HAVE to quit, I have wanted to on and off for a long time, just was never brae enough to try. I think it takes alot of bravery, as silly as that sounds,, to quit smoking,, it's changing something I have done since I was very young,, and change is hard, but change is necessary, and defianately where this is concerned,, it's time for me to put my health and my family first, instead of my selfish, self.. LOL.. I am going to quit this year for the smooke-out,, that is this month, does anyone know when it is exactly? I thought it used to be around Nov. 17th..???
Thanks.
Love ya ll,
Becky
Old 11-06-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Becky,
The date is on the quit smoking board - down near the bottom.

I've been trying to actively quit the past month - month and a half. I've had 4 complete abstinent days. I have managed to drop from 2 packs/day down to averaging 1/2 pack/day. Some days more, some days less. Started taking Wellbutrin a couple of weeks ago - which has really helped me cut down. Trying to take my time on dwindling down so when I do stop - it won't be so drastic.

I too, have been smoking a long time, bout 16 years now. I've tried nearly everything and just can't seem to kick it. I do have hypnosis and acupuncture left. Hopefully this time I can kick it. I'm hoping that by January, I'll be done smoking. Figure it'll be a nice birthday present for myself and everyone around me.

As for the caffeine. Yep, I use to drink a whole bunch of MD, Jolt, anything with copious amounts of caffeine and sugar. Even a few years ago, I use to drink 1-2 2-liters a day of pop. Now I may have 1 or 2 caffeinated beverages a day (or less).

It all evens out with time...
Jen
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I find that when I cut off alcohol my brain craved some kind of boost, some kind of high, no matter what kind. Yes for me caffeine, nicotine, and sugar all can do the trick.

Caffeine is a problem. I like the lift and need it in the morning. Trouble is I find that when I drink coffee it increases my cravings for booze. Remember we shake in detox mode and caffeine also makes one shake, so....

I find it harder to stay sober after a lot of coffee.