Notices

DUI's and Job Applications

Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

celticfire78....
I did not reply on this old thread because I've never
had a DUI.
I have no experience to share about them.

Since I got into AA recovery...I've not lied to get a job.
I've changed job directions 3 times during my sober years.

I do hope others will have current info for you...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't had one either but I think the advice here - to be honest - is great
D
Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

considering these are legal jobs you are applying for, i would just say "yeah, i had a couple of 'em" no-big-deal-like, and then imply you still drink heavily. That'll give you the "s/he will definitely be one of the guys" benefit.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would check your state laws. If your dui's are old enough leave them off, it's the law. If your state never forgets them put them on. Follow the law.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

MNGirlyGirl,

I had been convicted of a misdemeanor (non-DUI) prior to my job search into the legal field.

I ended up paying a lawyer to expunge the conviction and as a result, I never had to put it on a job application.

It has never come up and although I didn't enter the legal field, I have been gainfully employed ever since.

I'm not an attorney and your circumstances may be different but it wouldn't hurt to consult an attorney as I did.

Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a dui but I qualified for ARD, which once completed they wiped the charge from my criminal background, so mine is clear now. If you don't get this program then it will be on your criminal history, at least in PA.

Even though it's been wiped it's not been forgot in reality. If I get another dui within I think it's 10 years of the first it will then be my second which I will not be able to qualify for ARD.

Also my motor vehicle record of the dui stay on file regardless of ARD here.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A work in progress

CF,

You might want to start a new thread on this question. The one you posted on is five years old, and, as you can see, people are responding to the OP's situation, not yours.

Obviously, any job requiring driving is out. Any sensitive (security/law-enforcement) jobs are probably out for the moment. Employers will be primarily concerned that you won't be drunk on the job, that any alcohol use off the job won't cause excessive absenteeism or poor performance, and that you will be honest and not steal from them.

My own suggestion is to check out the temp agencies. Often those jobs are low-risk for the employer because if you don't work out you are easy to get rid of. OTOH, it gives them a chance to "try you on for size" and can lead to a regular job offer. A lot of companies do that these days. I got a regular full-time job that way several years ago, by starting out with an agency.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I always tell people just to tell the truth. People ask me this question often regarding apps to law school and the bar exam. If you are honest, it often will not keep you from getting the job, in to school or admitted to the bar. But if you lie, and it is later discovered, you are completely out of luck.

You always have the chance to explain. And yours were long ago. A note, as suggested, that you are living a sober life and have learned from it will probably suffice.

If not, so be it. You have a clear conscience.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
I always tell people just to tell the truth. People ask me this question often regarding apps to law school and the bar exam. If you are honest, it often will not keep you from getting the job, in to school or admitted to the bar. But if you lie, and it is later discovered, you are completely out of luck.

You always have the chance to explain. And yours were long ago. A note, as suggested, that you are living a sober life and have learned from it will probably suffice.

If not, so be it. You have a clear conscience.
Really long ago like the Op posted in 2005.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Let me tell you that I put a heavy emphasis on integrity and honesty! However, my honesty is really not helping right now and its becoming so FRUSTRATING! I was arrested and convicted of a DUI 4 years ago. I have been in my current position for about the same time, but its now time to seek new challenges and endeavors. I had no idea how the DUI conviction would affect my Job Hunt until now! Lets put it this way, I have been turned down by 3 potential employers, all because of that DAMN DUI. Unfortunately, in Florida there is no way to expunge a DUI conviction. So, when they do a background checks it will come up. And as I mentioned before, I am honest and have no problems disclosing it on any job application. But guess what, if the job application doesn't ask, I do not put it down. If the application does ask for misdemeanors, I do put it down, but never get a call back. I only get call and interviews from employers who do not ask for misdemeanors on their application. Here is the frustrating part...One employer did not ask for misdemeanors; hence didn't volunteer the DUI conviction. I got all the way up to the offer stage, the HR dept called me to inform me that they cannot hire me due to the 4 year old DUI. It wasn't even a driving job or a requirement to drive a company vehicle. I am in Information Technology...not a driver! They said they had a unwritten policy that prevents hiring anyone with a DUI lesser than 5 years...GO FIGURE!:rotfxko

Another potential employer plan flat out and told me that a DUI will disqualify me from employment and cannot continue with my candidacy. I mean, thank god I have a job right now, because If I didn't my family and I would be in some serious financial trouble! There are laws and rules prohibiting the employer from asking the applicant any questions about arrest records to those restricting the employer's use of conviction data in making an employment decision...however, it depends on the state. Unfortunately for those who live in a "No Fault State like Florida" those regulations don't apply

The past 4 yr old DUI is an unfortunate and embarrassing problem that I’ve had to deal with and already paid for. It shouldn't be used to judge to discriminate you from any employment opportunities. It was a mistake, in which I’ve learned a valuable lesson from. I have also taken steps to make sure that something like this does not happen ever again! I have successfully completed all state requirements back in 2006-2007, and was able to get my license back in good standing. This incident has also given me the chance to educate others to not get behind the wheel, even if they had only a “few” drinks. We all make mistakes in our past; but, if we can learn from our mistakes and take the steps to rectify them then it will make us better as professionals and individuals.

This "TRUTH" is really hurting my career..right now. And this is not fair to anyone who has been denied the opportunity of employment because of a DUI! Especially if the job doesn't require you to drive "company" vehicles. Totally wrong

Thanks for letting me vent...
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't trust the Honest Abe System either.I always worry that I will be passed over before I even get to sit down and defend myself. Adding junk on an app always makes me feel violated like I am a shot foot and down a notch. Not fair to say the least.

That said, I have always added it when they asked for a background check. My convictions are old enough that I figure to get the interview and hope they haven't dug that far yet as most haven't. If they were to ask later I would tell them that I believed it was expunged after x amount of years and fess up then hoping it doesn't bite me now.

You know it's a lie when they say it won't be held against you because subliminal perceptions of you are formed before they know any more about you.

If Addicts need to be disadvantaged like this shouldn't all medical problems have to be included on Apps?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR jj2010
I hope you'll find employment soon

D
Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks. I certainly hope so, Dee! But... as I continue my search, i am realizing that a DUI conviction does put a big fence up for potential opportunities! I might have to just sit and wait it out until my DUI offense becomes 5yrs or older

Hey members...anyone else going through this? Is there anyone out there that knows florida laws and statues that can give a little insight on how to push new laws that protect perfectly employable people from being discriminated against due to a DUI conviction. I have even found this on the the EEOC eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_arrest_conviction.cfm. This basically stated that employers cannot do this to potential candidates, but it continues to happen. I even called EEOC and they told me that unfortunately " No Fault" States" have the right to Hire or Fire when ever they want to. You can only do a discrimination charge if you can prove that the potential employer hired someone in the past with the same charge or similar situation as you. This totally sucks!!!! We definitely need some type of protection out there for these reason. Anyone with some legal background, please chime in
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
High on Life

I may be going through the same thing you are going through since I live in Florida and have a DUI pending, will just have to face it when it comes up......

Wish you all the luck and yeah it really is bull sh*t that they would disqualify you for job that has nothing to do with driving.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I listened to an open talk by Sandy B from Florida. In the talk, he described how he basically GOT a job.......working in the White House.....because he admitted to being drummed out of the Marines for being a drunk. They hired him for the sole reason they thought it'd be nice to work with someone SOOO honest.

Ya know MN.... I told enough lies my whole life prior to getting sober to last a city a lifetime. While my drinking hurt me.......think thinking and my actions were killing me. I just could NOT stand "me" anymore. When I got sober, my AA sponsor talked a lot about this being an honest program, telling the truth, and so on. He'd say, if you want to get better you have to change.....and start not changing all your old bad habits.

I can still lie today......quite easily in fact.....I got darn good at it over 30+ years of practice. The problem comes later that day, or the next day, or the next week when my conscience is gnawing at me. As if that's not enough, everytime I hear my name called out by the person I lied to.....I freak out and figure "they finally caught me." I just don't want to live that way anymore. I've had good times (economically speaking) but been utterly miserable inside. Those times were far worse than being spiritually fit, truly joyous inside, and had little money at all to my name. Broke and happy is > wealthy and miserable.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Wow, sounds like I won't be looking for any jobs in florida!

I own a consulting company, and I have to fill out all manner of applications and background check forms and stuff for every client. It's a little different in my case, of course, because by the time I fill one of these out it's a formality.

I answer *exactly the question that is asked* and no more. If they say "except traffic misdemeanors" than I don't list my DUIs. If they ask for all offenses, then I do list the DUIs.

I have never, ever had a problem.

Which brings me to my advice:

The only good way to find a job is through contacts and networking. You gotta keep up your rolodex Keep in touch with all your contacts. Get on LinkedIn, send connection requests to ALL your former co-irkers and and talk to those guys regularly. If all your contacts know you're looking, then one of them is bound to have an opportunity for you.

Once I started looking for jobs this way, I would never go back. It is SO much easier and more profitable. I get to work while sitting on my comfy couch with my cat next to me, and I never have to worry about the DUIs.

-Goat
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
I listened to an open talk by Sandy B from Florida. In the talk, he described how he basically GOT a job.......working in the White House.....because he admitted to being drummed out of the Marines for being a drunk. They hired him for the sole reason they thought it'd be nice to work with someone SOOO honest.

Ya know MN.... I told enough lies my whole life prior to getting sober to last a city a lifetime. While my drinking hurt me.......think thinking and my actions were killing me. I just could NOT stand "me" anymore. When I got sober, my AA sponsor talked a lot about this being an honest program, telling the truth, and so on. He'd say, if you want to get better you have to change.....and start not changing all your old bad habits.

I can still lie today......quite easily in fact.....I got darn good at it over 30+ years of practice. The problem comes later that day, or the next day, or the next week when my conscience is gnawing at me. As if that's not enough, everytime I hear my name called out by the person I lied to.....I freak out and figure "they finally caught me." I just don't want to live that way anymore. I've had good times (economically speaking) but been utterly miserable inside. Those times were far worse than being spiritually fit, truly joyous inside, and had little money at all to my name. Broke and happy is > wealthy and miserable.

Wow, typos all over that.....must be tired. ....and the magical 15minutes to edit are gone...

Cliff notes version: don't lie anymore....unless you like how it used to make you feel. I try and tell the truth all the time and when I catch myself having just lied.....I go right back and admit it. It's working for me and whatever penalties I've had because of it, I haven't even noticed them.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
Wow, sounds like I won't be looking for any jobs in florida!

I own a consulting company, and I have to fill out all manner of applications and background check forms and stuff for every client. It's a little different in my case, of course, because by the time I fill one of these out it's a formality.

I answer *exactly the question that is asked* and no more. If they say "except traffic misdemeanors" than I don't list my DUIs. If they ask for all offenses, then I do list the DUIs.

I have never, ever had a problem.

Which brings me to my advice:

The only good way to find a job is through contacts and networking. You gotta keep up your rolodex Keep in touch with all your contacts. Get on LinkedIn, send connection requests to ALL your former co-irkers and and talk to those guys regularly. If all your contacts know you're looking, then one of them is bound to have an opportunity for you.

Once I started looking for jobs this way, I would never go back. It is SO much easier and more profitable. I get to work while sitting on my comfy couch with my cat next to me, and I never have to worry about the DUIs.

-Goat
Goat..thanks for your reply! It looks like that is what I am going to have to rely on for now. I have created a profile in Linkedin and have called up former Co-workers. But, the Job market is a bit flooded for my field and the competition is harsh. I have been getting calls and interviews and on two occasions I was the leading candidate until the DUI comes up. They flat out and tell me that they cannot hire me because of it. This is where knowing somebody on the inside would help me. Even though the DUI comes up, the inside person can vouch for me giving me a better chance. Unfortunately, being with my current company for a few years hasn't helped me fill-up my Rolodex of contacts. Kinda starting from scratch...time to become a social butterfly!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Sometimes the decisions you make in life can affect you for the rest of your life.
Being accountable for your actions is part of being an adult.
You got DUIs, you have to deal with the consequences of your actions, even if they mean you can't get a job in the field you want. This is life.
Lying, i.e. getting a job under false presences can get you into more trouble, and block even more job opportunities.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phineas View Post
Sometimes the decisions you make in life can affect you for the rest of your life.
Being accountable for your actions is part of being an adult.
You got DUIs, you have to deal with the consequences of your actions, even if they mean you can't get a job in the field you want. This is life.
Lying, i.e. getting a job under false presences can get you into more trouble, and block even more job opportunities.
Thanks for your reply Phineas. Just want to clarify I am not trying to justify to lie on a job application. I just don't put it down if it is not asked. I do however, list it when they ask specifically for any DUI or Misdemeanor. All I am saying is that I have paid for my mistake and there should be laws and regulations to stop employers from basing and discriminating any hiring decisions based on a 4 year old DUI. Especially, when the job has nothing to do with driving. The "truth", whether it comes from you or in a background check doesn't really help much. I mean... I get a "thank you" for being honest and upfront about my "past situation," but, then I get the "I'm sorry, we cannot continue with the hiring process due to your past DUI." I have paid my debt back to society by completing all the requirements to get my License back; therefore we should not be paying for the "rest of our lives!"