Notices

realization

Old 10-31-2005, 04:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

realization

So lately I have been thinking about alot of things and I have had some major changes in my life this past week and I would like to thank my higher power and AA for making it all happen. I know that I have had my challenges especially when it comes to AA but the thing that I lost was my open-mind. I will have 3 years on the 17th and I almost took a drink about a month ago. This past year has been real challenging for me and that is only because I made it that. The AA program worked so well for me for the first 2 years of my sobriety and so I make this brilliant decision that I can do it on my own, WRONG. I still went to to a few meetings but my heart wasnt in it. At those meetings I would share against my own will, only shared because that was what I was taught in the beginning, and leave every meeting with an instant resentment. THen I guess you could say I was at that jumping off point again. So I made the decision to throw my self back into AA and working with others. Can you believe that it worked? Haha.....Well it did and I know that I need to keep my program above everything else or I will lose all. Thanks for listening
Lauren
Old 10-31-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Hi Lauren. Waving from just a few miles north of ya!

Been through the same experience, perhaps more than once...hard-headed, twit, I am. My early lessons in recovery included: don't drink, go to meetings, pray, service work, service work and hey, how about some more service work?!?!

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! Maybe I'll run into ya at a meeting....(though I tend to stick to Lenawee County meetings).
Jen
Old 10-31-2005, 06:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lauren,
I was at an AA meeting one night with one of my pigeons. When the meeting was over and we were leaving he said, "lousy meeting. Didn't get anything out of it." I asked him, "so what did you give to the meeting?" I never go to a meeting thinking about what I'm going to get out of it. I go to give anything I'm able to give, even if it's just a handshake or a hug. When I get to sit down and really talk to another drunk, I'm really thrilled. When I can give something away, I'm never disappointed. And, the funny thing is that when I give, I always get something in return. Peoople shake back, hug back, and share back.