Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

If Alchoholism was a matter of will power there would not be any Alcoholics.

Notices

Old 10-27-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Abel

Iam new to the program here i mean the whole forum thing i just got back from a ten day treatment in san diego. I learned alot of good stuff about my problem and was not wanting to let myself forget about my problem so i thought i might give this forum stuff a try. I guess i will say a little about myself. Iam in the Coast Guard in Kodiak Alaska and i have been sober for a month now but i had a relaspe a month ago and before that i was 4 months sober. thats why i went to treatment. i will be gald to share my teachings or just talk about the coast guard. Just let me know. Have a great night

Abel
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alconaut

Welcome to SR, Abel.

Dig in!
Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi

and Welcome to SR!

Thank you for your service to our country,
All gave some...some gave all.

Glad you are here....looking for support.
This is a great place!

Are you going to AA meetings too?
I find them vital to my sobriety.

Blessings...
Old 10-28-2005, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome!!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome! Boy alkies in Alaska! Who would'a thunk it! *LOL*... glad your here!
Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Michael

Abel
Welcome to SR.
If it were not for my willpower I would be drinking right now. For many years I was drunk from early Friday afternoon until I found my way to bed. I stopped through willpower alone. I am sober this Friday afternoon because I choose to be.
Now I am a great believer in the notion of free will and the accountability / responsibilty that goes with it. I drank because I wanted to and I alone was responsible for my actions and the consequences of them.
Many people need regimes and treatments based on group therapy, recognition of a higher power, reconstruction of their world-view and so on. All of these techniques are worthwhile and perfectly valid to those who benefit from them, but (and it's a big but) many others quit through simple willpower.
I hope that whatever way you choose to attain sobriety works for you but the only way to start that process is by deciding, for yourself, to go for it.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 10-28-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Michael,
By what criteria do you qualify yourself as an alcoholic? Simply curious.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Abel

Thank you all for your replies. The reason I believe Iam an alcoholic is becauseI cannot control my drinking. I have set limitations on my drinking and have relapsed everytime. Alcohol has caused me hardship with my wife and it has recently interfeared with my work. My life was in a definitive change. Also my thread title says that If Alcoholism was a matter of will power then there would not be any alchoholics. What I ment by that was simply Alcoholism is the only diease that tells you it isnt a diease.and i firmly believe that it is an illness. There are two types of alcohol avoidness. There is a life of abstinance and a life of sobriety. a life of abstinance is the denile that you are helpless agianst alcohol. And just avoiding alcohol. A life of sobriety is a complete lifestyle change.

abel
Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Abel

Just so everybody knows this is just my opinion

Abel
Old 10-29-2005, 12:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey
Old 10-29-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Abel; I like the what you have to say; simple and straight.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Welcome Abel!
I am looking forward to hearing your experience, strength, and hope.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I, too believe that alcoholism is a disease. I drnk for over thirty years without beng able to stop and stay stop until I was forcibly put into a rehab. In the rehab, I learned about Alcoholic Anonymous and the Promises. The requirment ro join is a desire to stop drinking. The fellowship has many tools to help you maintain sobriety and a program such as; 12 Steps, Sponsorship and developing a network of AA based friends to support your process.

Being powerless over a drink and then being out of control because of the drink is not a pretty sight. I have evidence that recovery is a process and not an event. Keep coming back.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

MichaelJ

Time to clean out the ol' pm box!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad to meet you Abel, Coast Guard cool.Nuff respect to you guys.

You are right about the "willpower" thing.

Funny thing though, I had enough willpower to drag myself out of bed every morning wipe the puke off my chin, stagger to the bathroom to throw up again, get dressed, TIE MY SHOELACES and jump on a bus to work with a cracking headache and yet I had not one grain of resolve to say no to another drink.....
Old 10-29-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Abel

At some point this are going to happen some, people admit they are powerless and then thats it. Some people think they have everyting under control and then boom relapse. Then there are people who have the hardships. You see you are only deemed an alcoholic if you get in trouble. So if you never get in trouble you are a resoncible drinker which is B.S. becasue by definition a respncible drinker is a social drinker, which a social drinker is sombodu who has 2 drinks in a 4 hour sitting. Sorry got off of track. Anyways the people who expeince hardships learn they have a problem then come to the realiazation and react. You see what Iam interesed in is the reason behind everything, why Iam am powerless over alcohol, why I even desire it at times, why Iam not normal. Thats why now why I study Alcoholism. Who better to study Alcoholism than an Alcoholic right. I would be glad to share my learnings. Just be advised I do not sugarcoat anything, but Iam tastfull. Thank you.

Abel
Old 10-30-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abelrangel
At some point this are going to happen some, people admit they are powerless and then thats it. Some people think they have everyting under control and then boom relapse. Then there are people who have the hardships. You see you are only deemed an alcoholic if you get in trouble. So if you never get in trouble you are a resoncible drinker which is B.S. becasue by definition a respncible drinker is a social drinker, which a social drinker is sombodu who has 2 drinks in a 4 hour sitting. Sorry got off of track. Anyways the people who expeince hardships learn they have a problem then come to the realiazation and react. You see what Iam interesed in is the reason behind everything, why Iam am powerless over alcohol, why I even desire it at times, why Iam not normal. Thats why now why I study Alcoholism. Who better to study Alcoholism than an Alcoholic right. I would be glad to share my learnings. Just be advised I do not sugarcoat anything, but Iam tastfull. Thank you.

Abel

I understand....I curious about things,too. I like to know, just for the sake of knowing ( in this case,not as an excuse or justificatioin to OK continuing this madness! ha)

For what you seem to be interested in, may I suggest (again!) a wonderful little book: "Under the Influence" by Dr. James Milam and Kathy Ketcham. There is a newer book by K.Ketcham (Beyond the Influence)that is good, but I think the the older one is much more direct and to the point. You can order it online if you can't find it in a book store. A little $6.99 paperback that is worth it's weight in gold,IMHO.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by Peter
Funny thing though, I had enough willpower to drag myself out of bed every morning wipe the puke off my chin, stagger to the bathroom to throw up again, get dressed, TIE MY SHOELACES and jump on a bus to work with a cracking headache and yet I had not one grain of resolve to say no to another drink.....
Very good point Peter I think that most us showed amazing amounts of willpower when it came to keeping our drinking going no matter what the cost, but when it came to stopping....

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 10-30-2005, 06:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Great thread ((Abel)) welcome to SR!! Lots of experience, strength, and hope here!!

I too believe that quiting drinking has nothing to do with will power. Alcoholics are very strong willed people. It wasn't until I surrendered that will that I became sober, one day at a time.

Thanks for your service as a member of the Coast Guard. I just watch a show about it on TV the other day. Can you take pepper spray in the face!?! Was that part of your training? That's what it showed on there. Just curious!!

Glad you're here!! Stick around!!
Missy
Old 10-30-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Abel

((Little Missy)) It is funy you should mention the pepper spray. Iam currently going through the Coast Guard L.E. prgram and will be getting pepper sprayed on tuesday. the cost guard is structured just like the NAVY, they have rates or a person job specialty iam whats called a Boatswainsmate, basically they are everything seamanship. every evoulution that takes place they are in charge of. from the LE program to the Firefighting programs, on top of other collateral duties. My personl favortie is driving the small boats you know the ones you see rolling over. I love my job its somthing different evry day. Plus we are the only part of the military who trains to save lives not take them.

abel