Notices

30 day report

Old 10-23-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile 30 day report

Hello SR people!!

Today is day 30 for me. When I first quit drinking, I thought I was going to try to just have a "dry" weekend. Later, I decided to try and go for 30 days. Well, after this taste of sobriety, if God is willing, I'd like to stay sober for life!!!!!

Up untill 30 days ago, I was drinking every day for almost 8 years. Before that 8 years of steady binge-ing and constant drinking, I was a heavy binge drinker for 6 years. This 30 day peroid is the longest I've gone without drinking since 1991!!!! A year ago, I couldn't imagine what it would be like to quit.

Right now, I can't imagine going back to my old ways. I feel very happy about my decision, and I'm thankful for each sober day I have.

Here's my current plan:
-take it day by day, hour by hour if need be.
-pray to God to relieve me of my addiction each day, and thank God each night.
-read and study the Big Book.
-attend as many AA meetings as possible.
-continue to particpate on SR
-avoid situations where I would feel pressure to drink.....with the exception of business related things. When at these functions, keep myself in check, and plan ahead about how I will not drink.
-keep in contact with my sponser, and continue to seek spirtitual advice.
-keep myself busy at home wtih "projects".

thanks folks for reading this, and thanks SR for being here for me. I'll be around.....
God Bless,
chip
Old 10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Michael

Chip,
Many congratulations on 30 days of sobriety. What is most impressive is that you kind of fell into it. First a weekend, then a month, I think this unusual approach has worked because you haven't put pressure on yourself. Clearly you are now thinking long-term and have a plan to handle that too.
I take my hat off to you.
Michael
Old 10-23-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gobble, Gobble

Congratulations on your 30 days!!! It is just amazing isn't it? Good luck on your long term plans. They sound great and 'do-able'.

I think when you first came here you wanted to try 'cutting back' because you already knew you wanted to quit and you just took that shortcut straight to quitting.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Congratulations Chip! I am so glad that you have chosen sobriety over controlled drinking. As a person who has tried controlled drinking and failed miserably, I cringe everytime I read the words moderate drinking. Learning from experience, for an alcoholic, there is no such thing. You are doing all the rights things and will succeed if you continue at the rate you are going. Sober is the only way to live. Keep it up...
Old 10-23-2005, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

:congrats Chip! Your plam is right on target!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Folks!!

About "falling into it", I think that's the only way I would've taken that plunge. My alchoholic brain was at the helm when I first came to SR. I knew I had a problem, but none of my stragedies involved quitting. Thankfuly, timing was perfect...I screwed up my "moderation plan", and people here where giving me a good kick in the behind. I got mad at myself, and stopped. Moderation was torture for me, and it's far easier not to drink at all. As the alchohol left my system...my thoughts became more clear, and I realized absteinence was the best way for me.

The crazy "cutting back" scheme that I was plotting a 6 weeks ago, was my bizzare way of acknowleging a major problem. Two years ago, I told a bartender that I needed to cut back on my drinking or quit altogether. It was coming, but I didn't imagine it would happen the way it did. I never had an "official" last drink....and I don't think I could have quit in a "formal" sort of way. I was insane when I got here, no doubt. I re-read some of my first posts, and I'm thankful that things are different.

Anyways, what matters is that we are all sober together....right gang??
your buddy,
chip
Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ohhhh Chip,
You always seem so positive. I know this hasn't been easy for you but you always seem to try to find the bright side and you are so willing to explore this wonderful thing we have called alcoholism.

Being open minded and having the desire to NEVER EVER EVER drink again is the only thing helping me hang on right now so reading your posts sure is a help. I think right now I'm just sober.....not quite into the recovery part yet as I REALLY REALLY struggle with that darn 3rd step. But, I just got a temporary sponsor so maybe things will start to make sense.

Anyway, thanks for always being so candid and honest here......it helps a lot!!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chip
Here's my current plan:
-take it day by day, hour by hour if need be.
-pray to God to relieve me of my addiction each day, and thank God each night.
-read and study the Big Book.
-attend as many AA meetings as possible.
-continue to particpate on SR
-avoid situations where I would feel pressure to drink.....with the exception of business related things. When at these functions, keep myself in check, and plan ahead about how I will not drink.
-keep in contact with my sponser, and continue to seek spirtitual advice.
-keep myself busy at home wtih "projects".
That, my friend, is a plan for success.

I know that I couldn't do it alone and I'm glad you're not trying that route either. When you can't avoid alcohol, like with work events, keep those phone numbers close. I have stepped outside and made a call in the middle of an event many times. Just hearing that voice of reason on the other end of the line has been enough to shift my thinking right back to recovery.

Congtats on your 30 days. This is a great milestone.

(See? You CAN do it! )

--phinny
Old 10-23-2005, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Awesome Chip - 30 DAYS!!!!!!! Really super, duper proud of you!!! You're really coming a long way. By the way folks, this IS the miracle unfolding before your eyes! This is why I keep going to AA meetings. This is why I keep coming here. Great job, CHIP!!!

Skinner, way to go!!! You got a temp sponsor!!!! Fantastic!!!
Keep it up.
Great job, both of you!!
Jen
Old 10-23-2005, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chip, way to go on those precious 30 days!!! It has been great watching your growth and progess. It sounds like you have a great plan in place and with that plan, you will go the distance.

I'm proud of you!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Way to go, man! You are a great example to many of us. God knows we need 'em!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks folks,
You've all been a great inspiration to me!! This kindof encouragment and support has helped many like myself. I hope I can help others as much as I've been helped...
chip
Old 10-24-2005, 11:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wonderful, Chip! Please keep posting; I enjoy what you have to say.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congratulation 30 days is a great start. keep up the good work .
Old 10-24-2005, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ASH

Congrats on 30 days Chip and thanks for sharing your progress and success it has been inspirational
And your right, it is amazing that when you are drinking you can't imagine life without it, and when your sober you cant imagine going back to the insanity
Way to GO!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

A thought...

I was thinking today; "what if I had a drink?" This is not something I want to do. If I had a drink, I would want more. The craving would be compelling, and impossible to ignore. In the past, I have been unable to stop myself from giving in. I would have two choices: 1) Give in, get drunk...and suffer. 2) White knuckle it untill the cravings go away ......and suffer. Both these options suck. Abstinence is so much easier. My past behaviour should be enough for me to leave the first drink alone....let alone the inevitable suffering I would inflict on myself. I'll stick with soda water.

Drinking is just a non-option for me. I can't wait untill my meeting tommorow.

God bless all of you for helping me through here. Thank God for SR, AA, and the fellowship of addicts who all thirst for real, quality sobriety.
peace,
chip
Old 10-25-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Congratulations Chip!

Your story is an inspriation for those of us who have yet to hit the 30 day mark! Very proud of you and your positive attitude.

Cheers to SodaWater!

Gina