Notices

How many lives will you save?

Old 10-21-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many lives will you save?

When you choose not to drink and drive?
Please feel free to add your own to the list.

The life of a man who is getting off work from working at a factory overtime so he can buy his wife and small daughter a Christmas gift.

The 12 year old boy who is riding his new skateboard.

The Grandmother of ten wonderful grandchildren.

The newly wed couple on their way out of town for their honeymoon.

A family coming home from taking their kids out for pizza.

The mother to be out shopping for a stroller.

A small child who is learning to ride his bike....and his father.

A mother of four who is on her way to the doctors office.

How many lives will you save?? Maybe your own also!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

My aunt Krista was killed by a drunk driver on her last day of college --she'd gone back to school to get her degree. She was 40.

My husband's grandparents were killed by a drunk driver.

Makes me all the more stupid, don't it?

Kelly
Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel very ashamed about all the times I drove drunk. So many people are so fortunate that I didn't hurt them...... I couldn't stop myself from drinking too much when I had my vehicle in the parking lot, and no other way home. I knowingly put myself and others at risk because I couldn't say "stop" to myself. Time after time, I'd get behind the wheel after drinking, thinking I had no other choice.

A vehicle is a major responsibility, and I can't believe that I didn't take this responsibility seriously....I was too important. My drinking was more important. To me, getting that next round of drinks was more important that potential consequences.... I wouldn't admit it, but my behaviour spoke louder than words. For me, my history of drinking and driving really cofirms the fact that I am an alchoholic. It's obvious that I shouldn't drink at all.
chip
Old 10-21-2005, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kelly,
So sorry for your loss.
I guess we just don't think about it do we? Not even when it happens to someone we love.
My dad died with lung cancer in 95...yet I smoke like a chimmney.I should know better.
But I still smoke.

It's a wonder I didn't hurt someone myself while driving after drinking.Some nights I wondered how I got home,not realizing I drove myself!
Pretty stupid ha! YES! Very stupid!

My oldest daughter is almost 21. And I pray that if she does drink...that she will call a cab or get a sober ride home.

I feel so very very lucky that I didnt kill someone or hurt someone.
But my prayers go out to the ones that have lost their lives because of some drunk that couldnt resist getting behind the wheel.Or didnt have the good sense to call for a ride...or not to drink at all.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

I keep having this fear now that I am sober. That my children will be killed by a drunk driver. Even though I never hurt anyone while driving, it's like this will be my punishment for driving drunk in the first place.

Kind of crazy, I know. I can not predict the future. Now my life is in the hands of my HP!!

Prayers for all those injured in any way!!
Missy
Old 10-22-2005, 06:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Missy,
I didnt think of that until you posted.
May God bless us and keep us all safe.
Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome topic! I too am ashamed of all the times I got behind the wheel after drinking. I am truly grateful that I never crashed and killed anyone icluding myself,my innocent son or any other innocent people.

For those on here still drinking,I beg of you to stay home and drink! If you truly dont feel quite ready to stop drinking at least keep yourselves and others safe by doing your drinking at home,buy enough at the store to get you through the binge,and live long enough to (hopefully sooN) find sobriety.
Accidentally killing someone isnt something you want to have to live with for the rest of your life.

Becky
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Driving drunk was a way of life for me. I shudder to think what damage i could have done.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is exactly what kicked my butt into recovery. Long story short, my HP was obviously watching over me (and the innocent others on the road). Something SOOOO bad could have happened and I could have left my 2 daughters without a mommy. I could have taken some OTHER children's mommy OR daddy away......I could have done a LOT of dammage.

Thankd GOD for sobriety and thank GOD for this topic right now.......I hope EVERYone reads this and "listens" with their hearts.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One thing that opened my eyes was one night I drove about 35 miles to a bar that all of my friends go to in a van that we just bought about 2 months before.

I got there without hurting anyone(TG)but got drunk and into a fight in the bar...was kicked out and when leaving I drove the front of the van under a utility pole and tore off the whole right front corner panel.

Needless to say hubby was pissed!!
My mom was called and she drove me back home.No police were called.

But....there was hell to pay the next morning when I sobered up from hubby!

Thank the Lord I didnt hurt anyone!
And the sad truth is I didnt remember any of it.I had to be told what my mother was told the next day.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hi,

Don't know if this is off the the subject to far, sorry if it is..

But when I was in one of my inpatient treatments, this guy came

in, and he really had a terrible attitude, from the minute he walked through the doors

you could see on his face, that he did not want to be there, and everytime I was

in treatment, everyone always really seemed to bond,, really bond.. There were some

really great friendships made there. But this guy, still after a day or so, would not even

talk to anyone, he had a real attitude. I felt sorry for him, thinking he had to be

afraid, because treatment can be really scary, especially if it's your first time, (boy did

I remember my first time, I laid in bed, so sick for about 4 days, crying, refusing to eat

just wanting to feel better, so I could get out of there, and leaving right after the 4

days, I was so scared) so anyway, I decided to talk to him. He was real crabby to me,

he said he was only there because he had gotten picked up for drunk driving, and I

can't remember the number of times, but I remember being shocked, and then he told

me that he had killed someone, ran them over, while drunk, and had served time..

Obviously it wasn't much time, because he wasn't much over 40.. Come to find out

that, he lived in the same area as I do, and the place he hit that man and killed him,

was only about a mile from my house. I remembered it happening, cuz the guy was

coming out of the mill he worked at, and crossign the highway, to get to his car, and

this guys ran him over, DRUNK,, It was so sad,, Here was this guy, being a jerk, ONLY

IN TREATMENT to SEE IF it would HELP INFLUENCE the judges decision, for sentencing

him this time, cuz he knew he was up for a LONG prison sentence this time!! Well, he

should have been up for a LONG sentence he LAST time..

This guy left after a couple days,, He said he just couldn't handle it.. He didn;t like

treatment, (we coudnt smoke, in this treatment, they believed that ALL addictions

are the same, including smokes, and also CAFFIENE!!!) he just couldnt handle the

rules, can you imagine what it was going to be like for him when he got sentensed,,,

in prision, I don't believe you can smoke any more, maybe I;m wrong, but you

certainly have peo[ple telling you what to do in prision..

I can't believe in this day that someone can be drunk driving, kill someone, and get off

with a SHORty sentence for taking SOME BODIES LIFE!!! SAD,, And to go out drinking

and driving again..

Sorry again for hijacking the thread, but some of the stories brought back this memory

to me.. A good memory for me, to know why I should never drink or drug.. Let alond, drink and drug, and DRIVE!!!

Love

Becky
Old 10-23-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How very very sad.

Thanks for sharing this story.

He might have gotten off too early...but just think...he will have to live with this for the rest of his life.God help him.I know I couldn't!! live with the fact that I killed someone.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

You are right. He may have been still drinking for that exact reason, maybe he just couldn't handle life???

He sure was an angry guy, maybe that is also where that came from, deep anger at himself..

thanks,
Love, Becky
Old 10-25-2005, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Braveheart

I think just about everyone here at SR can relate to their own stupidity about driving while under the influence. I can recall driving and not feeling at all in control of the vehicle, but yet pressing forward. Only by God's grace and mercy have I managed to not hurt myself or anyone else. I get sick to my stomach when I think about it. Another reason to give God our praise and honor this day!

Blessings to each of you

Gina
Old 10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am glad I never hurt anyone while driving drunk. I haven't ever got busted either. It is amaizing because I have been pulled over twice and didn't remember it the next day. On countless times I have had police follow me but not pull me over. I have pulled out of neard head on collisions with other drunk drivers.

But really how the hell did these police officers not catch me?