Notices

Football + Alcoholic Fan = Bad

Old 10-16-2005, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Football + Alcoholic Fan = Bad

Hello all, I am on Day 4 of recovery. I had some friends call me up to go watch football. Of course I said no becasue football in the U.S. culture is so tied to drinking that it is almost obscene. Where were they meeting? At a bar of course. So I'm watching a little on TV at home. Almost every third ad is for beer! Also during the game beer ads are all over the stadium. This is nothing new I'm sure to a lot of you but I find it to be a huge joke. Of course ads can't make you drink but I wonder what effect they have on younger kids. Those ads make drinking look so fun and so consequence free. If I had the advertising budget of say, Budweiser I would love to put up some ads of your typical alcoholic hard core beer drinker like I was and how much "fun" he has. I'm not that much of a fan, I went to drink more games than I watched.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

In early recovery I had those same exact thoughts! Now they don't bother me to much if at all and I think " poor someone is waking up with a hangover tomorrow glad it won't be me!"
Old 10-16-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yesterday I watched my alma mater play and I actually remember the entire game. Usually, I would have ran up a $50 tab @ the sports bar and would have passed out around midnight after a few vodka night caps at home by myself (about another $10), only to wake up @ 10 today with a viscous hang over.

Instead, I went to bed around midnight, awoke @ 7:30 and read the paper, ate breakfast, and took at walk...all before 10.

So the way I look at it, I could have spent $60 for the luxury of waking up with an all day hangover, risk a DWI, and try to reconstruct memories of the game I spent all week looking forward to. Gee, that makes sense...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well, you did the right thing
it will take awhile
but
eventually you won't focus on the beer ads, etc

i remember driving in manhattan
around 6th ave and 34th st
there was, like a hundred foot budweiser
boy, when i saw that
i used to imagine drinking it
but
after quite a few years
sober
i just don't look at it anymore

best
fraankie
Old 10-16-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Same here. Only difference is in Jamaica we kick the football instead of throwing it.

But I used to think I was such a big football fan until I got sober.....then I realized I did not give a flying leap who won the English Premier League or The World Cup.

It was all about the booze.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hey congradulations on you day 4 and glad that you are here, My name is Vic and I am an alke/addict and it took three years of football abstense when I first got here, hell I still have not been FISHING and that I used to love as well but all I ended up loving was the beer and dope so in order for me to get where I am today I had to give things up for awhile...Hang in there someday you will be able to watch them comercials and say OMG now that is not for me...

Love Vic
Old 10-16-2005, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coming out of my shell

I used to watch the games with my hubby, but you're right, there are a lot of beer commercials that glorify drinking. I don't think I ever looked like any of the bikini-clad gals in the Coors Light ads. Actually it's a good thing for me to get away from the boob-tube. It's time to do things that I used to like to do, but just stopped doing when I started drinking. And of course, it's a good time to take the dogs on another 1 1/2 hour walk! :weh
Old 10-16-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey DFW

Good choices.

BTW, that $60 you saved is after tax money.

Means you would have had to have earned 80 or 90 bucks to drink.

Also, not sure what Uncle Sam does, but in Canada about 20% of that 60 bucks would have gone to government coffers.

Keep Well!

Mongo

Last edited by Mongo; 10-16-2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2005, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When i was drinking, i thought everyone was as drunk as i was at football games. I got sober in august of 92 and went to the cotton bowl jan 1 93. I was amazed at how many people were sober drinking coffee and still having a great time. today i can enjoy football sober.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gasp! we sober AA members do watch football
And we know who won now!!!

Go Falcons!