Notices

Trouble at work

Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trouble at work

I'm having a problem at work that is causing me some concern.

I work in high pressure sales, and have through all my life. When I was using, I had the usual work problems, lateness, absent, etc. However, I never had a problem with selling. I was always able to close the sale and was always the company top performer. That's how I managed to KEEP my job throughout my active addiction.

Now that I am sober, for whatever reason, I'm not able to close the sale like I used to. I think this has something to do with the fact that when I was in my active addiction, I was proud of the fact that I was a terrific people manipulator. I liked doing that and it was reflected in my sales record. I'm trying now to not manipulate like I used to as it is an old behaviour that will lead me back to drinking. But now I'm getting heat from my boss that my sales are not what they used to be.

I'm starting to think of finding a new line of work, but I am scared to leave.
I have little formal education and am not qualified for anything else. I'd like to go back to school, but that is not an option right now. Not until I repair my credit damage done during my using life. I'm also worried to take something that is less stress, and therefore less pay. I need my pay check right now to pay for all the stupidity and debt that I have incurred. I'm just feeling trapped.

Has anyone else found that their profession didn't click anymore once they stopped using.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by j'ade d'arcy
Now that I am sober, for whatever reason, I'm not able to close the sale like I used to. I think this has something to do with the fact that when I was in my active addiction, I was proud of the fact that I was a terrific people manipulator. I liked doing that and it was reflected in my sales record. I'm trying now to not manipulate like I used to as it is an old behaviour....
Hi j'ade. I'm thinking that you may need to shift your focus by emphasizing the good in your product through honesty. People appreciate honesty, and they know when it's genuine. Maybe you may need to switch to a different company, selling a different product you have a real faith in. Know what I mean? I feel bad for what you're going through. I was never able to engage in sales as a profession for similar reasons. You must feel some real discomfort over this. I wish I had more advice to give.

Anyway, do some brainstorming, and DON'T DRINK!!

xo
Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

J'ade:

Interesting problem. No quick answers here, but a few thoughts.

I have done sales in the past and understand what you are going through. I feel like I am manipulating people when I sell something that I either do not believe in or feel is incorrectly priced. Is what you are selling a solid value proposition to your customers at a fair price? Does the company stand behind the sale? If so, I think you are acting as a channel that brings value to customers, no worries.

Second thought: sales is about relationships. Sure customers must have a need for the offering, but much of the time the order is placed with the rep that the customers likes: somewho is viewed as being honest, attractive, someone they like to hang with. A sober you is MUCH more attractive than the old drunk you: more honest, more attractive, a cooler person. That will work in your favor.

You can find another way to sell. Old way: "Let me figure out where the buttons are on this person and let me press them to get what I want." New way: Open, genuine, positive with a good product and a good story. This is how a long term customer base is maintained.

Having said that, you may have to leave your job. If you don't beleive in the offering then I dont think it will work. And frankly there may be too much history for you to make the change in approach. You have to answer that.

Some paths for sales people:
product support
product marketing
customer support
sales management
production

And in the short term you may have to take a pay cut. It will be temporary however, and if it is a good new role for you you will succeed. On the other hand sales is no longer a fit you may ruin your reputation for good.

Of course you will be mad about the lost pay in the short term. Alcohol takes many things and your career trajectory (and many of ours) is one of the things it takes, along with some money. This is one of the things we must accept, Jade. S*** happens, but it has happened to many of us, we are in this together, and we are all on our way back up, stronger than before, and in the long term more successful in both our personal and professional lives. Accept now what is, follow and plan, and more on to the success that awaits you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

--Andrew
Old 10-16-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok, so now your sales are not what they used to be.

You are unhappy manipulating the customers in order to close the sale .

Perhaps your product is inferior.

Your boss might be unhappy with the decrease in sales but it may not necessarily mean he will fire you.

Turn the "King of sales" crown over to someone else and sell your product based on it's worth. In time other opportunities will open up to you.

Do not start believing that using made you a better person.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quietmindrecovery.org

Originally Posted by j'ade d'arcy
I think this has something to do with the fact that when I was in my active addiction, I was proud of the fact that I was a terrific people manipulator.
In my view, it is paramount that we find "right occupation". That means working in a job where you can have a calm mind that is not aggitated by doing yourself or anyone else any kind of harm. If you cannot do your job while maintaining the ethical principles layed out in the 12-step program then I suggest that you find a different occupation. Clearing up your credit and any other financial considerations are a distant secondary priority.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Have you talked with your sponsor about it yet?
"No major decisions in the first year."

Jen
Old 10-18-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...

I quit the stressful thigh paying and took a huge pay cut.
I went back to school 3 years later.

My sobriety must come first.

Check out the Pell Grant...a federal program.
there are also many little known scholorships that are available.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quietmindrecovery.org

Originally Posted by CarolD
I quit the stressful thigh paying and took a huge pay cut.
I went back to school 3 years later.
Good for you!! Without sobriety we have NOTHING of any worthwhile meaning.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

CarolD,
So, you quit the stressful THIGH paying....hmmmmmmmm!!!!

Thanks - you gave me a great laugh!!!

It really is WAY PAST MY BED TIME!!!
Jen