Notices

Question

Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by earlybird
Doesnt work that way. You have to drink steadily at an alcoholics rate for years for this part to take place.
I think I qualify for the rate.
Originally Posted by DangerousDan
Goes to show we're all different, even though we share similarities.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

About the nose thing....does your nose actually PHYSICALLY get bigger, or just redder???

WC Fields et al had HUGE red noses...so is the alcohol actually making the nose more bulbous and red...or just red. My nose definitely seems bigger, though not red, and I wonder if I did not stop in time???
Old 10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by earlybird
I dont know how old you are, but, if you are old enough to remeber who W.C. Fields was, he was a HUUUUGE alcoholic and thats why his big nose was always beet red and his cheeks flush.

Yes, Fields was a big drunk, but the trademark note was caused by a condition called rosacea, creating an all over redness and enlargement. True you can get broken blood vessels etc from habitual drinking, but Fields had something else going on. Note also how red and swollen his nose is in most pictures how unaffected his cheeks are.

Mary Stone, M.D.
University of Iowa Health Science RelationsAssociate Professor of Dermatology and Pathology

"W.C. Fields is probably the most well-known person to have had rosacea. People associated his fondness for alcohol with the large nose and the red skin. This association of alcohol and rosacea is unfortunate. One can have rosacea without drinking alcohol, although alcohol can aggravate the condition."
Old 10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

You see that's precisely what I mean - was his big nose to do with alcoholism, or just the redness.

Question: can alcoholism make your nose actually GROW BIGGER?