Notices

New here

Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Originally Posted by Phillips
I'm just a bloody loser.
No way mate. If you are an "alcoholic" like me, then you will need help. I thought I could beat the booze on my own, I tried and tried for a long long time before I finally sought the help I needed. Today I am sober, and will work at staying that way using a program of recovery that thousands upon thousands of others use and successfully stay sober one day at a time. I use the AA program of recovery, but there are other programs.

I could stop drinking easily, but I could never go more than a few days without drinking again. Once I started to drink, I always got drunk, and then of course suffered with all the social, health, financial and spiritual problems that getting drunk brings.

I'm going to just concentrate on today, if I stay sober today, then I am a winner again. Just today. I'll start on tomorrow, tomorrow.

much love
JC
Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I was so frustrated with myself last night - yet again letting myself down.

I hear what you're saying and start today from fresh.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

This is the first time I've ever tried this and I hope I do it right.

"Welcome home! We've been waiting for you."

I enjoy saying that to people. Those were the first words that were said to me by the woman who would become my sponsor. They mean a lot to me even today. I don't know much about you right now. I don't know how old you are, but I was 29 when I came through the doors of my first AA meeting. I felt totally alone and frightened. I didn't know if AA could help me. All I knew is that I wanted the pain to stop. You see my best friend had turned its back on me. I had found what I thought to be the answer to all my problems at the bottom of a bottle, but suddenly that solution, that friend, stopped working for me. I started having blackouts and things happened that make me shudder to this day. It had only taken me five years to get to the point that I was. I had reached that coldest, darkest, loneliest place on earth...

Oh, I hadn't lost everything... yet. (Y.E.T. means You're Eligible Too!) My sponsor taught me that. I hadn’t lost a job due to my drinking… yet. I hadn’t lost my car or my home… yet. I hadn’t totally lost my health… yet. I didn't have a husband or kids to lose. But in almost every other way I was bankrupt. At 29 years old.

When it was suggested that I attend AA, I found the answers to most of the problems that had been troubling me and learned that my drinking was just a symptom of my real problem. I had a living problem. (I didn't have any problems with my drinking... I had trouble with my "stopping!") By the guidance of those that have gone on before me and by those who are still “trudging the road to happy destiny” like my sponsor, I haven’t found it necessary to take a drink since May 1, 1985.

Find yourself a home group. Find some people who “walk what they talk.” Climb into their hip pocket and learn what they are doing. Study the literature, the Big Book, the 12 & 12… and note, I said study it, not just read it. Do service work. Start talking to God. Do it even if you don’t believe… If it can work for someone like me, it can work for you. That mental obsession can and will be lifted. But God rewards honest effort, not wishful thinking.

So, welcome home. We’ve been waiting for you! Have a great day.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs up Hi Sheryl85

Welcome to SR! Thanks for sharing.

I also use AA as my recovery program.
Works great for me too!

Blessings...
Old 11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Phillips,

How’s it going? Have you been able to make any meetings? (I don’t even know if you are in a position to make meetings…) If not, please make sure you are keeping in touch with fellow AA’s for support. This isn’t something that is easy to battle, and any AA left alone for too long is in bad company.

Keep the faith and keep in touch.

Sheryl
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Back on SR after several useless attempts at quitting.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow, this is an old thread! Welcome back, and good luck in your fresh attempts.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome back, stick around this time
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks. Do you think that 'sticking around' means for many years? Every day?

There is only one other forum I do stick around on everyday, and it's a bit more light-hearted than SR (that's not a criticism, btw, but it's not exactly fun carrying fear all the time, which is what I am doing.)

When I get over any fear, I tend to drift away and not post, or even visit. Remember, I was here a long time ago moaning about the same old things that I am today.