Notices

In all fairness

Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In all fairness

In all fairness to other peoples beliefs, experiance, and opinion, I think that if there is a room for AA ( my prefrence), NA, Alanon, etcthere should be a room for other options, such as CBT,SMART, SOS etc.. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

Thats what the forum called "What is Recovery" is for.

For the record reply, we tried a specific non-12 step forum once on its own, and it went over like a fart in church.

"What is Recovery". Thats for everything else.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Doug
Thats what the forum called "What is Recovery" is for.

For the record reply, we tried a specific non-12 step forum once on its own, and it went over like a fart in church.

Now thats a lovely thought.:nono:
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I gotta say, I sure do get a lot of chuckles from SR!! We've got a lot of FUNNY folks here!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, you know the old saying,
"He who farts in church sitteth in his own pew..."
Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Michael

Sure there's an AA board here, but as a non AA adherent I don't feel any pressing need for a separate board for alternative routes to sobriety. We are after all suffering the same syndrome of addiction to alcohol and whatever path we choose to take to sobriety is a matter of personal choice. I can say that AA is not for me because I have tried it and found that my views do not fit with the views of the organisation. here it is different, I do not have to profess a belief in order to find sobriety and I don't care that others do have that need. I can freely express opinions on recovery and I put them out there in the sure and certain knowledge that whilst some may accept them, some others may reject them.
What I am trying to say is that this forum follows a broad approach to recovery and is all the better for it. Views are respected and there is rarely friction between methods. If we continue in this manner then I am sure that others who need help will be attracted to the forum because they will neither feel rejected nor have their views neglected.
It would be a tremendous waste of potential support if we were to narrow our focus too much.
Bestwishes
Michael
Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think alot of thoughts got shared about this when Mill posted the same suggestion in the forum issues section.

I actually think that the discussion held over that made a real difference, people talked to each other loads and I think various misunderstandings got cleared up.

I can only speak for myself (as a non-al-anon Mrs!!) but I've found it much more supportive here after that. At the time of Mill's thread I felt as though we needed some space that was protected like the AA forum but I don't feel that way anymore.

My only gripe (minor) would be the title of the 'What is Recovery?' forum - if it was labelled 'other treatments - or if the label gave a clue that was what it was about it might get more traffic. There's quite alot of CBT stuff I want to ask but I'm never really sure whether it gets a bit lost in What is...?, it seems 'alcoholism' is busier with non 12 steppers but I feel a little awkward there asking about CBT because it should be there!

Blah - on the whole I think talking about it has helped TONS - probably much more than actually having a 'protected' forum. I don't think non 12 steppers need that as much as perhaps AA.

Edit - oops sorry I thought I was in the 'What is Recovery?' forum!! sorry if I haven't found and corrected all the heres vs theres!!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by chris k
In all fairness to other peoples beliefs, experiance, and opinion, I think that if there is a room for AA ( my prefrence), NA, Alanon, etcthere should be a room for other options, such as CBT,SMART, SOS etc.. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong.
I think the way it is set up now creates an environment that we all can learn from each other. It is my hope that the smart articles, essays and tools that I post can be helpful to anyone. There are many folks who supplement their 12 step programs with cognitive techniques. Also, many of the misconceptions that I had about AA have been cleared up by the folks here.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Doug
Sounds like the recovery junk drawer.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
learning

Originally Posted by doorknob
Sounds like the recovery junk drawer.
Or a place to share experience, depending on how you choose to look at it.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by equus
My only gripe (minor) would be the title of the 'What is Recovery?' forum - if it was labelled 'other treatments - or if the label gave a clue that was what it was about it might get more traffic. There's quite alot of CBT stuff I want to ask but I'm never really sure whether it gets a bit lost in What is...?, it seems 'alcoholism' is busier with non 12 steppers but I feel a little awkward there asking about CBT because it should be there!
Hey Equus, I agree with you about the title, and I think either forum would be an appropriate place to post such questions.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Actually,I beleive THIS room is open for ALL groups,users,abusers and curiousity seekers relating to alcohol abuse and alcoholism(and of course,sobriety).I still drink,do not engage in any program as of now,but at the very least,slowed my progression of my alcohol problem by coming here and sharing different opinions about what alcohol abuse really does to peoples' lives.I think this is the "everybody" forum,no pressure,just people,minus the preach.