Notices

No will power- Can you quit alone?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Red Hot Chili Pepper

This is SO me. I lost a gazillion pounds and the drinking escalated with the weight loss, however. I have a border collie who can get about three miles in on a half-mile walk just from zig-zagging. She's still my inspiration... sheer joy from running like hell.

Boy, it is so mind over matter. Definitely try the meetings. When you have some sobriety under your belt, you'll be smiling and laughing too.

Kelly
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catch-22
I am the same. I'm ok in the morning, when I swear that I'll never touch the stuff again, but then, come 5 pm, when I finish work (I work from home) I'm at it again, drinking and smoking in the kitchen while I cook food for the children and family. By 10 pm, I've smoked 30 fags and drunk one and half bottles of wine (sometimes two). Every day. I'm sick of it. I want to change, but it's just habit. That's what I do in the evening. It's not just addiction, it's a forma mentis. The only solution is indeed to break the pattern, for myself, my family and my children. I wish you luck and keep trying.

Catch-22
Boy, you know those cigarettes can kill you....
"I want to change, but it's just habit."
Habits are behaviors, behaviors can be changed by changing the underlying beliefs, recognizing the moments when choices are made, and actively planning each day for a different outcome.

Dinner prep was definitely when I started drinking my wine each evening, too. So making a change in that pattern was really crucial, as you say. What can you do to break the daily routine?
Don S
Old 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
catch-22

Originally Posted by Don S
Dinner prep was definitely when I started drinking my wine each evening, too. So making a change in that pattern was really crucial, as you say. What can you do to break the daily routine?
Don S
Well, yesterday I didn't drink any alcohol at all for the first time in years... I've had two glasses today, but I've stopped now (8 pm here). What can I do? I will carry on cooking, because it's something I want to do for my family, but I'll just drink juice instead. I know I can do it. I did it yesterday and I'm doing it now. I feel well. I felt wonderful this morning and this is how I want to be feeling tomorrow morning as well. :hoo

Catch