Notices

Is slow suicide a mortal sin?...

Old 10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is slow suicide a mortal sin?...

Just curious. Whats the cause? Whats the cure?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BTW,its my ninth pint of good ole' budweiser. Yup,really good. Im a winner,huh?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I'm not sure if treating oneself with scorn, contempt and hatred through filling one's body with poison (inTOXICated) is a "sin", but it sure ain't healthy for ya!

"What's the cause?" Doesn't matter right now. It's already here.

"What's the cure?" There isn't one, as yet. But the disease can be arrested and recovery is available to anyone who wants it. The Twelve Steps and the fellowships that use the Steps seem to work for lots of folks.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I'm sorry you are drinking, Homer. I do appreciate your telling us, at least that is a start.

In terms of your questions, I am just not going engage with folks that are drinking. It's a waste of time. Come back a couple of days after you have stopped drinking and we can talk then.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I don't know if it's a sin, but it sure is a damn shame.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Homer)))
Old 10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again Patrrick!

Gee...you know all the tools. Get busy and get sober.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
new life

"Is slow suicide a mortal sin?... "

Wow Homer, i used to take me a 12pack before I would start asking myself that same question.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well, there's quite a few answers to that
i'm catholic
so
i would imagine it has something to do with gluttony
and
then there's the 10 commandents
i'm sure if it''s a sin against the 4th, in some way
then
obviously, who cares if it's a sin
you can drink, drink, drink
and then go to confession

the real sin is what you are doing to yourself
not only the drinking
but
the frame of mind to even pose such a question

AA
go now

fraankie
Old 10-10-2005, 06:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Patrick.
What Carol said.
You know where you are and you know where you want to be.
All depends on how much you want it.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
fire dancer

question for a question......

"do you want to commit slow suicide?"

i finally decided that i didn't want to slowly killmyself anymore........a couple of weeks later i also realized that what i really wanted to do was LIVE, which i can not do while i commit slow suicied.......mortal sin or not.......what do you want?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was told by someone in the program once, " To continue to drink, is like suicide on an instalment plan." Sin? We won't know and you won't be alive to tell us. I guess it depends on your faith. Dead is dead no matter the reason. Don W
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Patrick,
Doesn't sound like YOUR recovery program is working too well for you again.

So here's my question; what's it going to take for you to really want sobriety? When do you suppose you will be willing to do ANYTHING to get and stay sober? I feel really bad for your kids and wife - I sure hope they have support. You have all the support in the world - and you don't use it. That's the shame of it all.

Mortal sin - who cares; you're drunk again and you don't seem to want sobriety...I guess you'll find out for yourself if you keep doing what you are doing.

Jen
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by fraankie
obviously, who cares if it's a sin
you can drink, drink, drink
and then go to confession
Well if a person holds to the Catholic doctorines...Going to confession won't remove a mortal sin. A mortal sin is called mortal for the same reason they call a bullet hole a mortal wound.

So by the teachings of the Catholic church..Yes it would be a mortal sin if brought to completion.
Many bible references will tell you it is wrong to drink in exess as well.

Aside from what it is called and what the outcome of the here after will be...How about looking at what it is doing right now...

Homer

Support and help is available...when you want it.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Beg to differ Best,,,we were taught,that to those sins that the priest,forgives,they are forgiven in Gods eyes.That,those whose sins are not forgiven are not.
Going to confession,wont remover a mortal sin.Yes,it does,if the priest has said they are forgiven,then they are,forgiven.However the priest,will also,say,,Sin No More.In other words,no repeates,on this paticular deed.This is going by,the RC,belief.
If ever anyone is in doubt,about this,please go to your priests/pastor/minister,and get first hand info.And what that belief follows.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thanks, "best" and "cap3"
recollecting, it's true
if you go to confession
with no intention
of righting the wrong
as in, not doing it again
it's not absolved
and
like the somments
what is drinking doing to you now
whether it is a sin or not
you are suffering from it

best
fraankie
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

oops...

I not too religous myself but apoligize if I offend anyone by bringing a religious statement here,a drunk does not think before he speaks.Im choosing to be sober today,not because I have a hangover or any guilt about drinking again but when I sobered up and read my post I saw myself basically saying I was trying to kill myself but in a slow manner.That is not the case.Im alcoholic and cant control my drinking habit.Im terrified of death and sickness yet I smoke and drink.When I am drinking I feel no fear of death and dying,but when Im sober I realize the insane abuse Ive put my body through and get very nervous and anticipate illness in my near future,so then I drink and become a "man" again and shrug off all my fears.Thats a pretty breif description of my cycle.Thanks for replies.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey Homie
Great insights, glad you are sober today. Me too. It's SO MUCH better...I've also shocked myself sometimes when I read what I wrote drunk...remember your sentiments....I am killing myself slowly, is that ok...? powerful sentiments!!!!!
cathy31
x
Old 10-11-2005, 03:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Homer, I'd only like to suggest you try and refocus your thoughts. Sure, if you really feel like harming yourself seek help. However, I've always had to be careful of wasting time going down the wrong path. I'm only suggesting my experence. When I started to focus on my goal, staying sober, and stopped with the " What Ifs? things improved. I understand how hard you've tried but, you must consider trying something different. Picture yourself has sober and recovering. Not as recovered as I used to. There is a big difference between recovering and recovered. Recovering is an attainable goal. You need to also give yourself credit. If you really wanted to give up and end things don't expect us to encourage you to do so. You've been in and out for awhile now. Take all your thoughts out of your head right now. Now, replace them with all the caring and positive posts responding to you. I have read some of your responses to others that suffer in the past. You've got alot of compassion and thoughts to share and encourage others. How about taking some of that and redirecting it to yourself. I just feel there is some issue or thought that keeps you from recovering. Something that makes you feel you're not worthy or have no right to be happy. Today, you can turn the page and start writing a new chapter in your life. This is hard, remember we are all in the same spot. Don't think for a moment that those of us that are doing well don't have days we struggle. You know we might be down the road in recovery but, not so far as to reach back a hand. I myself, will never remove that extended hand to you or others. I look forward to the day when you can walk arm and arm with us. Don W
Old 10-11-2005, 03:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I guess you could look at it and say just living is slow suicide....everybody has to die sooner or later......You just have to choose would you rather it be sooner or later?