Notices

Winos can't throw

Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Michael

Winos can't throw

I had a funny old day today, started badly when a lifelong friend called from Australia to tell me that her husband, my best mate from way back in the seventies had died. He had alzheimer's and had been in a bad way for a couple of years. We were away on holiday when he died and his funeral has already taken place. We talked regularly on the phone until his disease took him into permanent care and it was always a pleasure to chat over old times.
I have written to his widow as I was really tongue-tied on the phone with the shock of the news.

I had to go up to London's West End this afternoon and while I was walking back to catch the train home I passed along Baker Street (home of Sherlock Holmes). There were a couple of drunks on a bench drinking super strength lager and as I passed by one of them threw an empty can at me. Needless to say , he missed. Now I am not usually prepared to put up with such behaviour but today was different. I suppose it was the earlier bad news, but whatever it was, I felt sorry for him and continued by without a word.

I know that I used to be a bad tempered drunk but I managed to function and never got to that level of alcoholism. But I realised that I was more like the bad shot wino than I really cared to admit. I hope he finds the strength to get sober.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

I wonder if the drunk was envious of your sobriety and struck out at you?

Or, if you will, perhaps he had a vibe that you saved yourself and got clean, lashing out to say "What makes you think you can find your way out of hell?"
Old 10-04-2005, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I always carry some cards, like business cards, that only say "Tire of it? Want to get sober? Call Bob H." and has my phone number. I give one to anyone like that...

I DON"T try to get counseling clients like that...I just tell folks where and when AA meetings are. I don't get many calls, but when I do, and someone actually shows up to have the seed planted, it's a good feeling.

BubbaBob
Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AndrewBeen
I wonder if the drunk was envious of your sobriety and struck out at you?

Or, if you will, perhaps he had a vibe that you saved yourself and got clean, lashing out to say "What makes you think you can find your way out of hell?"
I think thats a little deeper than I remember thinking when I was a hammerhead.

I remember one night in a parking lot sticking my head in the window of a car full of college kids who were laughing and screaming at them.. "Whattsamatta! ain't you never seen no bikers before!"

active alcoholism and deep thinking don't often cohabitate.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Originally Posted by Gooch
I think thats a little deeper than I remember thinking when I was a hammerhead.

I remember one night in a parking lot sticking my head in the window of a car full of college kids who were laughing and screaming at them.. "Whattsamatta! ain't you never seen no bikers before!"

active alcoholism and deep thinking don't often cohabitate.
Now, if you had punctated that with an extended burp you woulda gotten extra points from the judges.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Michael. I'm to grateful for the realizations of what sobriety has afforded me. *hugs*
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Unhappy

I am so sorry your mate has died.
He will always be with you in spirit.

Blessings and Hugs....
Old 10-05-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Sorry your frined died. That is always difficult. I was just talking with my eldest (8) daughter yesterday about passing stories down; that's what her homework was about last night. If the stories aren't shared, they can't get passed on and to make sure you find out before it's too late to ask. Anyway, my belief is that when people cross from this realm to the spiritual realm, they are still with us spiritually and we are still able to talk with them. Physically, it's hard because then you miss the hugs and actually seeing them. Alzheimers is a horrible robber...you can probably pick up those conversations you use to have with him now that he is of sound mind again.

As far as the winos...always nice to have a flash back or see the yets that are still out there waiting for us. All it takes is one drink and we can be sitting on that bench alongside them. Certainly can make you darned grateful for being sober today and how much better life is today.

Blessings and my prayers are with you,
Jen