Notices

Health Benefits of Sobriety

Old 09-26-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Health Benefits of Sobriety

I can't believe how I abused my health while I was drinking. I knew I had health problems as a result of, but disregarded them like they didn't really matter. I tried to ignore them, but deep down, I was really worried about the affects drinking was having on my body. I remember doing alot of research on the internet about cirrossis of the liver. That really concerned me. My liver ached and I desperately wanted an answer. God forbid I go to the Dr. No way...I didn't want to have my secret revealed. Every time I would have any blood work done, I would search the internet for the meaning of this elevated enzyme or what it meant to lack in that.

I suffered from high blood pressure, digestive disorder, acid reflux, vitamin deficiencies, anxiety, anxiety and more anxiety. My body had lost any muscle tone and it wasn't a pretty sight. I remember how shocked I was on that one. I had drank heavily for years and it never affected me in that way before. In a short period of time, maybe 6 months, I turned into mush. That was about the same time when I really, really started putting it away. Yuck. It was very disturbing to me.

Since then, the anxiety has completely disappeared. Color has returned to my skin and I don't carry that extreme pallor any longer. I work out on a regular basis and I'm in pretty good shape for an old lady. I just had a check up and my blood work came back excellant. I have a clean bill of health and I am so grateful I didn't do any serious damage to my liver or anything else. I still suffer from occasional heart burn, but nothing compared to the suffering I would endure from drinking. That was torture, but it didn't stop me from drinking. Insane. Acid reflux can do severe damage to your esophagus. I was lucky there and still have to be very careful about keeping that under control. My Dr. said that next year, for my annual check up, he will schedule for a scope to check my throat for any damage. I said, will you now? You have to catch me first. Not looking forward to that at all.

I have been on meds for blood pressure for about 10 years now. I just have gotten off of them per Dr.'s orders. During my check up I had low blood pressure. Go figure...so now I am off of them for now. It amazes me how much I allowed drinking to affect my health and ignored the severity of it all. I'm thoroughly tickled by the blood pressure thing. It just seems so abnormal to be normal in that way.

Anyways...I just wanted to share with others. I know that there are may out there that can relate. Perhaps some who are waivering on whether or not they want/need to quit drinking. Please consider your health. Good health is so important. We damage and abuse our bodies so much by drinking. It's crazy...now if someone would just put stronger watt bulbs in all the fixtures, everything would be perfect. Ahemmm....
Old 09-26-2005, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

There was a thread in the men's room recently where a few of us said how amazing it was that our bodies were still relatively healthy, considering we tried our best to turn our insides into toxic sludge.

Good deal on the blood pressure, muse.
Stray away from the debate threads, and you'll be fine
Old 09-26-2005, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Haha...good advice. I could always fake illness and go into my Red Foxx routine. Blame it on my blood pressure and try to get my way. You think it would work? Naaaaaaah... Step over and continue on.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Thanks for sharing that 2dayz! I could relate to 99% of that. I'm hoping I'm off the blood pressure med's next check up to!

......ewwwww just say your avatar are you gearing up for Halloween again!! *LOL*
Old 09-26-2005, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I heard something at a meeting this weekend that I could so relate to - The addict - alcoholic in me was convinced that it could kill my body and still live in my mind.

Yikes!

--phinny
Old 09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow I like that Phinny... that is exactly what my addiction trys to accomplish.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Before I got sober, somebody asked me if I would do to somebody else what I was doing to myself by drinking?

Just the thought of that really made me think. Now that I have been sober, it really hits me of how much damage I was doing to myself.

2dayzmuse, during the last year of my drinking or so, I speant a lot of time on the internet researching diseases such as chirrosis, pancreatitis, gastritis, etc.

With a couple of months of sobriety, I still have stomache pains.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I work out on a regular basis and I'm in pretty good shape for an old lady.
LOL - old lady - I have been told differently - I know you are not old and that you are hot stuff

I know exactly what you mean by the physical problems that alcohol brings. I had stomach problems for years .... stomach problems you understand, nothing to do with drinking, I just had a bad stomach - yeh right - now I have stopped pouring alcohol in the stomach problems have gone away - funny that huh.

And the anxiety .... yes - it has gone. I used to awake in the middle of the night and be gripped by absolute fear and chronic anxiety attacks. It used to be absolute hell. I am so grateful that I now realise that it was the alcohol causing this. I thought that it was normality !!! I thought that this is what life is !! I'm so glad I don't have that today - but I am very very aware that I can have all that back again - all I need to do is pick up a drink - that first drink will bring all that back again.

Thanks for the reminder LeAnne.

Now then, I need to go work on my muscle tone, need to get in shape for those xmas party frocks

much love
JC
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I really

noticed more mental problems than physical.
At the end....

Depression! Lack of concentration. Memory loss and poor retention. Reading comprehension gone. Had to quit Crosswords and Scrabble. Anxious and paranoid.

All cleared up at 2/3 months sober! :wow:
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

Oh yes, my memory was slipping as well. HaHa! Let's not forget the physical side affects of withdrawal. I don't miss the tremors one bit. I couldn't even keep a pen to paper. I would have to have a couple of drinks before I could write a check to pay pills. My Dr. made the mistake of telling me that my tremors were caused by my body producing to much adrenaline. Ha...I took that one and ran with it. People would question my shaking all the time. I would reply, adrenaline. I had horrible hand writing. Funny thing...since I've quite drinking, my hand writing isn't so bad after all. And my body has that adrenaline problem under control. Huh? Go figure...
Old 09-27-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

LOL - old lady - I have been told differently - I know you are not old and that you are hot stuff
Don't believe everything you here JaySee. There lies...all lies.

I can't wait for the big reveal in you new xmas frocks. You are such a classy broad with fine taste.

......ewwwww just say your avatar are you gearing up for Halloween again!! *LOL*
Ohhhhh yeah, I'm just getting started Chy. I'm keeping it mild until at least October. Then I'm going to break out the really gross stuff. :e03c
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I enjoy your posts 2dayz. I have seen really positive changes both physically (normal liver tests, normal cholesterol, normal triglycerides, etc......) and emotionally. I rarely have anxiety, have better relationships with my children and wife, and I can actually see myself growing old. When I was drinking, I was sure I was going to die young.

Glad to be sober today!
JMHS
Old 09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((( 2dayz)))
What a great post!