Notices

Life Ring

Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Life Ring

I am interested in exploring both 12-step and non-12-step groups to help me strengthen my sobriety.

I have been told of LifeRing as an AA alternative and was wondering if I could get people's experiences of it.

I am under the impression that it perhaps more accessible to folks that have troupe with the HP concept, and does not have as specific a methodology as 12-step.

What is the approach? Is there a specific method? Is there literature?

The groups I have seen has "How was your week?" as a topic. Is this just free form group support for folks struggling with addiction or is it more specific than that.

Any experiences and reflections would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Hi Andrew

I use Life Ring as my primary recovery group. It has worked wonders in helping me stay sober, where AA failed for me. Don't get me wrong, I know AA is great for many, just not for me.

The website for LSR is www.unhooked.com. There are f2f meetings, several email lists, and a fairly active chat. There are no steps or higher power. The primary idea is that you DO NOT DRINK/USE NO MATTER WHAT. Sobriety is top priority.

There is also a recovery workbook and several pamphlets, you'll find info about it at the website I gave.

There are a few others here that use Life Ring, perhaps they will be along to offer more insight.

The approach works for me, I am responsible for my own sobriety, not a HP. After struggling for nearly 2 years with relapses, I have finally found what works for me.

It's definately worth checking out, in my opinion.

Lisa
Old 09-15-2005, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hi again Andrew,

The basic premise of LifeRing Recovery is something like this:

Most addicts seeking recovery are not in denial but are ambivalent about giving up mind altering substances. We have two conflicting selves within us. One, the addict self, wanting to continue to use substances despite the negative consequences. The other, the sober self inside us, wanting to be sober and free of our addiction. When actively using the, the addict self is large and has the strongest voice, while the sober self is given the smack down when it tries to speak. When we are free of chemicals, the sober self has a chance to express itself. And the crux of the LifeRing program (and any support group, I believe), is that by sharing with and supporting other sober addicts, we strengthen that part of us which wants sobriety, and the addict self becomes smaller and it's voice less powerful, allowing us to remain in recovery.

In addition, the LifeRing program utilizes a "toolbox", which contains any and all things that a person finds helpful to our sobriety. This can include AA meetings and 12 Step work, SMART principles, and whatever else we find that works for us. We, as individuals, constuct our own program, taking bits and pieces of what we have learned from our fellow members. It is not static, but constantly under revision, and can change as circumstances change.

The meetings are very free-form, and encourage crosstalk. It's an open discussion about how we are doing, what difficulties and challenges we are facing, and what works and does not work for us. I've been to meetings in the SF Bay Area, where LifeRing is very strong, and thought they were wonderful. There are also regular online meetings at the LifeRing Clubhouse. If I have the desire to stay sober, I find it really helps me to stay sober, and to keep that desire alive.

Paul
Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Heya Andrew,

I use LifeRing in addition to attending AA meetings on occassion, not really doing either program but taking from both to make my own psuedo-program. They have a "Recovery By Choice" Workbook which allows you to really reflect on causes on drinking, from your lifestyle, history, environment, etc... and ways to attempt to work through them. I found in invaluable to getting a lot of thoughts onto paper in a consistent and organized way, possibly the best $20 I ever spent.

Even the FAQs say many LifeRing members are also AA members, they aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by 2tough2die
They have a "Recovery By Choice" Workbook which allows you to really reflect on causes on drinking, from your lifestyle, history, environment, etc... and ways to attempt to work through them. I found in invaluable to getting a lot of thoughts onto paper in a consistent and organized way, possibly the best $20 I ever spent.
Hey 2tough,

Thanks for reminding me of that. I've had one for several years. Need to knock the dust of of it. Now would be a excellent time to use it. Of course, I'd have to get off of the computer to do that!

DK
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Nothing really to add here other than to say I've found Lifering to be an excellent resource for me. I frequent the chat there often, though not as often as I used to. There a lot of good tools to help with cravings and such. You may also want to check out SMART www.smartrecovery.org It is a CBT based program that also has many helpful tools. Don S, a member here at SR is the local SMART contact. You can PM him and I'm sure he could give you more info. Take care.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Thanks all. There are some groups near me that I will check out. LR and SMART might work well for me.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

this to me has been very, very useful. thanks andrew.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

This is a great thread that Don S started a long time ago. Some excellent stuff in it!!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27181