Notices

Lord Help Me, I Can't Stop

Old 09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

By the way,...if you're drinking so much now that you feel sort of sick if you go a few hours or days without it,....you are too far gone to just quit on your own. You need detox. You need treatment (long term and probably IN-patient) and you need to do 90 meetings in 90 days. This is your life. Alcoholism and its wake of devastation doesnt care how "full" your "plate" is. Just that you keep your "glass full". If you try to stop without help or medical treatment, you could very well go into delirium tremens,....which you DO NOT want. Its hell on earth. If you REALLY DO want to learn how to not want booze anymore, drop the excuses and get to a meeting and restart your life today.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

I quit early and got plenty of sleep - so no hangover this morning.

I did look into the meetings, but they all seem to be at times that aren't really do-able for me right now. My plate is very full.
Ahhhh...yes. How quickly we forget. When we are feeling pretty good, the urgency lessons. All of our plates are full. We make time because our life depends on it. History will continue to repeat itself unless you make some changes. Make time for that meeting. Good luck...

Last night I replapsed - hard. I was up until 3 this morning with a bottle of tequila - which is wierd, because I am not a tequila drinker.
My last relapse and I do mean last, I woke up with a bottle of Vodka. I'm not a vodka drinker. It nearly killed me. See a connection here?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
Ahhhh...yes. How quickly we forget. When we are feeling pretty good, the urgency lessons. All of our plates are full. We make time because our life depends on it. History will continue to repeat itself unless you make some changes. Make time for that meeting.
Word. As soon as I would start to feel just a bit better the disease ( behaviour problem, addiction, pathetic moral shortcoming, small drinking problem, or whatever... ) would start to kick in full force, working to convince me that everyone was making too big a deal of my whatever. I'd start thinking that I just didn't have the time to deal with it today, that I had to much going on, that my plate was too full. But then I would always find the time to get drunk again. Rationalization and denial. Rinse and repeat.

XD40FAN, make recovery your top priority and everything else will fall into place. There is literally not a single thing you can do that is more important for you.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 09-17-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thats OK! I remember when my plate was too full and meetings were not do-able. I ended up getting drunk!!
Originally Posted by XD40FAN
I did look into the meetings, but they all seem to be at times that aren't really do-able for me right now. My plate is very full.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XD40FAN

Thats pretty arrogant.....

You're suggesting that all of us recovering SOBER alcoholics simply waited until we didnt have so much on our plates? Until we came upon a clear stretch on our calendars, we just didnt do anything about it? You're just busier than all of us? Simply start viewing your life as a "bigger plate" and you will notice more room on it,...but dont act as if you are the only person in the world who has ever been as busy as you are lately. That is just another alcoholic with yet another flimsy excuse.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

When I put other things ahead of my recovery, I shall lose my recovery and all those things I put ahead of it.

We only have to be willing to go to any lengths to recover....are you?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello all,

I hope everyone had a nice weekend - I sure did. I went camping and fourwheeling with some friends (pics to soon follow) and had a wonderfull time!

Yes, still sober. Happy to report. No cravings, no urges, no withdrawl systems. I have stayed occupied (VERY busy) and have kept away from anything alcohol related.

Several of you have asked about my willingness to go to meetings. I am willing to go - but as stated before, there are no meetings in my area that I can get to. The only time I am able to go is between 11pm and 6am. I have not found any meetings druing that time.

Yes, my recovery is a priority, and a big one. A very big one. Unfortunately, the rest of my life cannot be put on hold. I keep living my life everyday - but without drinking. That is the goal, isn't it?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Let me introduce myself, I am 26, and my husband is 27. We were once extreme social drinkers and now it has taken over my husbands life. I on the other hand have been able to say no for his sake. I did not realize how much in life is evolved around drinking and did not know drinking could take someones life over. I admit I am in that relationship now and we will be seeking help- aa. Yes we are young, but that is no excuse, we both are very successful professionals and I have seen with experience what drinking has done. It sneeks up on anyone and takes there life out from underneath them without them knowing. This is my first response on this website, but any help or suggestions could really help me.
I love you with all my heart mike.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by urwifelovesu
extreme social drinkers
Uh,....unless this is an event on ESPN 2, then Im sure this is just "denial speak" for ALCOHOLISM.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

although I have to say I made the connection with "extreme sports". One can get some very amusing/interesting mental pictures of "extreme social drinking"

gianna
Old 09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi urwifelovesu,

I didn't mean to make light of your situation. I have a group of young friends who are all in that 20-something party phase, and "extreme social drinking" is certainly a part of it. Of that group I think most will grow out of it, but a few already have the marks of alcoholism, to wit: the willingness/need to continue the party to the very end, the dubious knowledge that the way to get through a hangover the next day is to drink more, the requirement that every activity have an alcohol component.

I think it is great you are taking action at a young age!

Gianna
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Lol. Looking back on some old posts. I fell off for a night a little while ago, but have been clean (except for that night) getting close to a year now.

Scary to look back on my old posts and see what a wreck I was. And thankful for how much SR was a help.

BTW, I tried the AA thing and it didn't work for me. More power to those of you who have found a home there, but it wasn't for me. I'm glad that AA is there for those who it works for. Personally, I decided that drinking wasn't for me and left that life behind. AA is great, but there are other options out there.

Josh
Old 02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hello Josh,
I'm glad to hear you are doing better. Keep on the sobriety wagon! You are right that there are other options besides AA. Have you heard of SMART? There are recovery options for all types of people. The main thing to consider, is that you will probably need some sort of program to achieve happy, contented sobriety. I say this because it's true with most alcoholics who dry out.

URWIFELOVESU
Welcome to SR! I reccomend that you check out the friends and families of alcoholics forum. Stick around. Help is always close at hand.
chip
Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Josh
Good for you!

If you are interested in recovery programs
here you are

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Take care
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

http://aa.org/bigbookonline/
Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Josh glad all is well, what Chip said is true. no matter what the program is, when you have an incurable disease the treatment needs to be life long, a program for most alcoholics is crucial for long term sobriety, AA works for me but there are others that work for those who do not like AA. The secret is no matter what program you chose, you have to work the program for it to work.

Congrats on the time sober, keep it up.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

XD..I think you're shout out to both God and SR is an excellent start. I literally fell to my knees in defeat almost 2 months ago asking God for help...then I dragged my sorry self to AA. Words don't express the fundamental changes taking place in my entire being. Quitting drinking is not enough. My resolve is reaffirmed every day with the support of AA...the real live connections I have found there. I had lost my ability to reach out to people, to relate. I was lonely and miserable in my self imposed isolation. Booze cut the edges of my loneliness yet ensured I stayed that way.

AA (to me) is all about learning to EXTEND yourself...in every way. Active alcoholics don't normally know a darn thing about that. Once you realize you don't have all the answers - and that's its been YOUR head and YOUR answers to date that have likely gotten you into this mess, you really might want to make meetings a priority. It's your life we are talking about here....your whole life. Knowledge combined with support is a formidable combination.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread began in 05

I find it sad to see how many SR members
who shared then are no longer here at SR.

Members come...members go
Bless them all
Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by XD40FAN View Post
Lol. Looking back on some old posts. I fell off for a night a little while ago, but have been clean (except for that night) getting close to a year now.
Thank you Josh!!! Your success story is soooo encouraging and gives me a better perspective on my struggles after a recent relapse. And it really helps a lot!! Thanks, again.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hmmm...that was a bit of brain-seizure for my foggy, emotional brain. So glad you found your answer Josh.