Notices

How to like myself

Old 09-05-2005, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to like myself

Just a random chain of thought.

I want to like myself. A lot of the things I do make me not like myself. Drinking and using other addictive substances make me temporarily like myself. Sometimes I think I'll never be happy without drink. Do I really think that I have to drink to like myself ? That's ridiculous, there is another way. I can begin to like myself by doing things which make me proud of myself. Quitting drinking is one, simple things like household chores or calling an old friend are others. I need to ask myself on a daily basis "What did I do today that I can be proud of?".

Lawry
Old 09-05-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Nice post Lawry. I stuggle with that too.

Doorknob
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

It is amazing how much we can learn to like ourselves on a daily basis simply by putting down the drink or drug. I can only suggest to make a gratitude list. This list should put into perspective the things you are doing in your life in a positive light. You may find out you are not such a bad person as you think you are. You are likeable.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By Jove...you got it!

Doing for others always makes you a winner!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

doing for others...reading...walking...writing...tidying...f riends...solitude...music...trashy novels...serious art supplements...travel...fishing...

thats where its at mate; not slumped in a chair being a couple of drinks off soiling yourself.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

you're right MillwallJ, in fact pretty much anything except drinking is where it's at.

One interesting thing since I gave up booze late last year, my interest in football has gone right down. Nowadays I can't get enough cricket, roll on the final test match at the Oval on Thursday, I can't wait. Wish I could go but tickets are like gold dust.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a season ticket at Wall, and I couldnt be without it.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is an interesting article on self worth and all, in my opinion: http://www.skysite.org/usa.html
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've found that if I don't shut up the negative voices in my head, I am on a slippery slope into self-pity and low self-worth. Sometimes that'll be through rephrasing those thoughts in a more positive way, other times it's a matter of simply saying "feck off, I'm not listening."
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i'm still getting to know myself after all the years of self abuse!! i do know that i do not want to be the person that i was when i was using.

morally bankrupt, super selfish, angry....etc. that was me when i had the bottle in my hand.

today, i know that my addiction was creating a different person than the one that i really am deep down inside. i just need to do the work to find out who i am, what my core values are, and then i will begin to like myself

it's a slow process for me, alot of things that i believed to be true about myself while using were simply not true once i got clean. but that does not make it easier for me to stop thinking that that is really the way that i am.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hang in there j'ade...it does get better.

the best advice a sponser gave me, whilst in AA, was: do the right thing, on the right road, and you'll straighten out.

priceless.

baby steps.