Notices

A Small Child Afraid of the Dark

Old 08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Small Child Afraid of the Dark

Anyone else feel like this when not drinking?

I've been as bad as I want to be in the past. Experienced full blown DT's on two occasions, am still drinking moderately and want to just quit. I know all I'll experience is sleeplessness/mild anxiety and every morning I tell myself today's the day, I go to work and do a productive day yet when I get home the thought of spending a night alone and completely sober scares me. It's like being a small child worried about the bogey man under the bed!! Pathetic or what?

Any ideas to get through the night? I thought of staying up all night watching dvd's but if I don't sleep I feel like crap even more than if I had a few drinks. I know I need to quit because the cycle always repeats itself - drink moderately for a while, gets worse, ends up a week long bender that I need medical help to stop and I don't want to go there again. I want to stop before it's too late.

AA isn't for me - tried it several times. To be honest I know the answers, but a good rant never hurt anyone eh?

Good luck to you all
Old 08-22-2005, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
fire dancer

pacing the floor at 3 am is never a fun option. for me i find that if i can excersice when i first come home from work, then do whatever, & then read (it's diff from watching flicks) i can usually get to sleep...for some reason the reading wears me out unlike watching flicks.....still often get to sleep too late but don't stay up allnight

& yes the cycle!.....the cysle is why i'm here too.

good luck
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Wolf,

I have a Stephen King here I've been trying to read for ages. Maybe I should give it a go. At least if I stay up all night, I'll be a step closer to the Tower lol

Old 08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Well...

this is a link that might help...

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

hope you both find the joy of recovery.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RovingStar
Anyone else feel like this when not drinking?

It's like being a small child worried about the bogey man under the bed!! Pathetic or what?

Good luck to you all
I've totally felt like that. It used to be on nights that I did not drink, I would be depressed the whole night. Sometimes, I would just stare at the wall.

For me, I enjoy talking with people, going out with friends, cleaning, reading, etc.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

AA isn't for me - tried it several times. To be honest I know the answers,
i know for me self knowledge isnt gonna keep me sober, i tried it, dosent work for me. As far as AA not working for people, it works if you work it.

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average."
Old 08-23-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry, but I TOTALLY disagree with that last statement about AA. I don't agree with their system either. Berate those who are not willing to give up their life to a higher power - seems like a pretty psuedo-cultish thing to do - if you don't DO IT RIGHT, you are unable to be develop "a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty." I am totally honest with myself, always.

As for sleeplessness, Star, I find that watching the tele with something to do with my hands (right now, Mario 64 and a Latch Hook kit) help a lot. Mind you I am still drinking, but I've cut down a lot and feel pretty good about my life at the moment. I still struggle with occupying my time at night, though, since my "drinking time" is usually 11pm-3am.

As for dedoxing, if your leves of drink are not too high (and you don't really NEED medical help), go cold turkeny and bite the bullet for three or four days, it gets better.

Best of luck.

(and I don't mean to turn this into another AA thread - so please ignore me... just seemed a bit black and white to me).

-tank
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Berate those who are not willing to give up their life to a higher power
not at all, im just saying for me, i am beyond human aide, if i didnt find a power greater than myself then i could not be kept sober. some people arent to that point yet.

- if you don't DO IT RIGHT, you are unable to be develop "a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty
not what it says, it goes on to say that its progress not perfection.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't want to debate it here - the point is to help a friend who is suffering from insomnia.

Sorry I threw my voice in there - I tend to get threads of topic.

And my typos are horrible - wow... I wonder if anyone can understand what I'm trying to say. ;-)

peace,
-tank