Notices

Alcohol and Cocaine.......

Old 08-19-2005, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Cocaine.......

I am a 23 yr old M from Los angeles Ca. I have been addicted to Alcohol and nicotine for about 4 years. I'm not too worried about the nicotine but the alcohol is starting to cause problems in my personal and professional lives. i also used to be addicted to speed and other drugs before I even started drinking. Now, I have begun dabbling into the realm of cocaine. this started about a year ago and I have noticed that the need for the drug is gettin much stronger. I went from doing a line or two every couple months to doing about a gram a week. I know that to most addicts, a gram a week isnt much but I am starting to see a pattern and it is scaring me. I have caught myself in lies that I didn't even realize that I was telling to cover up my habit. I have horrible dreams about overdosing, and constantly try to find a way to quit without letting anyone know I have a problem. Can anyone help me? Thank you all...... Jay
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jay and welcome. It is great that you are seeking help. My main addictions are also cocaine and alcohol so I can relate.

Addiction progresses and only gets worse. Maybe you could check out AA or NA meetings in your area. The people there are so understanding. I also hope you stick around Sober Recovery.

It will get worse if you continue on your path, but the good news, if you stop now, you'll get your life back and so much more.

Glad that you are here.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to soberRecovery Jay.This is a great place with plenty of support.Stick around.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello!

I'm nearly 2 weeks into quitting booze, I quite coke years and years ago. Coke is a cakewalk compared to booze in quitting terms.

THis forum is a wonderful thing, make the most of it!

Adam
Old 08-20-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

If you want and are ready to do it you most certainly can. You'll get a lot of support here. Check out our NA and Substance abuse forums as well.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome Jazepentz

Glad you found us.

Originally Posted by Jazepentz
I went from doing a line or two every couple months to doing about a gram a week. I know that to most addicts, a gram a week isnt much...
The vast majority of happy, serene and joyful people on this planet do not even do a line or two every couple of months. Resist the urge to compare yourself with "most addicts", if you are already doing a gram a week that's bad enough and plenty of reason to do something to change. One thing is for sure, the track you are on keeps on going and going until you will no longer have to compare yourself to "most addicts" because you will be there with them. Get off the train now.

If you want a clean, sober, happy, serene, and joyful life, you can have it. But you won't find it at the end of a straw or at the bottom of a bottle. A.A. and/or N.A. and/or SmartRecovery and/or this board can be a very big help because they will give you a chance to get to know people who have been where you are and are where you want to be.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

If you wait long enough, you'll be up to a couple grams a day and an eight ball on Saturday like me. Combine that with a fifth of Jack a night and you can lose your house, job, girl, health, everything.

So why not just go to a meeting today and get started living instead of dying? Please.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Hey Jaz...good to se you here. Ask many questions and you'll most certainly get many answers.

I'm with Findingout on this subject. I feel that any street drug, any time, is too much. If you want to see how unmanageable your life can be and come to terms with powerlessness, you don't need to do a lot to run afoul of the law. I know this first hand, of course, and now I have a record based on possession of a gram of pot! Crazy? Maybe. True? You bet. Although alcohol wreaked far greater havoc on my life, I have been able to relieve myself of that obsession as well as any drugs.

BTW, I'm working on my cigarettes these days. The reports are in--smoking is bad for you, but try telling that to a stubborn, thick-headed, alcoholic like myself...

Johnnyboy
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my whole life down the drain
very quickly
3 grand a night
give it up
or
it could happen to you
Old 08-26-2005, 01:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChampionRabbit
Hello!

Coke is a cakewalk compared to booze in quitting terms.

Adam
Couldn't agree more. I found with coke...half way through a night of depravity...I was more than ready to give it up. I never did it regular like alcohol, and I never found myself obsessing about blowing my next line. Once I made the decision to stop there was no psychological trauma like there is with alcohol. It is some very bad junk though.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Two great tastes that taste great together. Unfortuantely it plays hell with connective tissue. Many drunk coke addicts have bled out from their esophagus dissolving. Not a pretty way to go.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jazepentz
I am a 23 yr old M from Los angeles Ca. I have been addicted to Alcohol and nicotine for about 4 years. I'm not too worried about the nicotine but the alcohol is starting to cause problems in my personal and professional lives. i also used to be addicted to speed and other drugs before I even started drinking. Now, I have begun dabbling into the realm of cocaine. this started about a year ago and I have noticed that the need for the drug is gettin much stronger. I went from doing a line or two every couple months to doing about a gram a week. I know that to most addicts, a gram a week isnt much but I am starting to see a pattern and it is scaring me. I have caught myself in lies that I didn't even realize that I was telling to cover up my habit. I have horrible dreams about overdosing, and constantly try to find a way to quit without letting anyone know I have a problem. Can anyone help me? Thank you all...... Jay

Hey its been nice knowing you. Its over now, the monkeys in the lab chose coke over food, sex, rest until the croaked.

The problem with blo is you cannot turn it off without massive booze or pills. If you could have fun for 3 hours and take an anitidote that would be better.

I jones'd on that stuff for years. I was buying kilos. I had friends amazed I pulled out of the downard spiral. It just really agreed with myself. Once you start getting things done while doped you are in serious trouble because that becomes your 'legitimizer'. I never got help, dont know what to tell you but that you better not underestimate the peril your already in by being friends with the white horse. Many people on the rock or the powder have lost their homes, their parents homes, their kids - their entire lives.

Good luck. Your going to need it.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Actually I just remembered what was likely my turning point. After stashing lots of blow in tennis balls scattered in the woods near my roomy and my own home in Ohio where we worked as high paid tech guys I had a life changing moment.

I had chest pain for 2 days and could not allow my self to die of drugs and have my parents have to know that, go forward living with that knowledge, bury that mistake ( me ) and blame each other.

I then quit my job as a Computer geek on mainframes and became a Flight instructor and gave 1000 lesson and accumulated 2000 hours.

If I died flying freight at nite my parents would weep but it would not rock them to their core.

It would not destroy those who I loved because they loved me.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Friday nights,for me,for 8 years.Never skipped it and if I did,Saturday night. Sex was great,can drink so many beers without the "stagger",every party seemed more fun. Only you have to face the consequence of "hangover" when you wake up the next afternoon. Lucky at times your heart made it through this speeding experience. When I stopped 8 years ago,I began drinking ALL week long,only beer,but its still alcohol. As of today I still drink beer everyday. I slowly changed my drinking behavoir from few nights a week to relying on MY dose of alcohol to keep me "normal". Just walk away from the cocaine,its not that mind-boggling if you are just a recreation(not EVERY night) user. If you dont get drunk anymore,you will will see the cocaine urge will go away,if you are similar to me. But,the alcohol is legal,easy to get and a much slower "demon". From a drunk,take it for whats its worth.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

ok, i gotta say FOR ME...i found coke way harder to quit than the alcohol. I started as an alkie but coke soon became my drug of choice, i only drank if there was no coke around. I started out as a recreational uwser too...i lost everything. My girls, my boyfriend of 4 years, my home, my car, my job, my friends, my family, my self respect, and almost my life.
there is help, there is a better way to live.
you are worth the fight.
honesty, openmindedness and willingness are the keys.
hugs, Wendy