Notices

Wedding & Paery Tips

Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wedding & Paery Tips

Here are things I have done with sober success..

Ideas....

Take your own car...go late and leave early.

Ask a sober friend to join you.

Take AA phone numbers to call if you get antsy.

Get your own drink from the bartender.

Smell before you drink.

Carry around a “false” drink...7Up/lime looks like a VT.

Dance a lot.

If pestered to ‘Have One”... Diet or Meds are good excuses.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

You are a very creative person Carol!

I myself have large been avoiding most boozy social functions since trying to stay sober. I guess that's a cop-out.

To tell you the truth, I think I am going to start telling people "I can't drink." and leave it at that.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

when i was new sober i had alot of explinations why i didnt drink. now, i simply say i dont drink.

if someone gets obnoxious about it, i tell them if i drink alcohol, i will need to borrow a hundred dollars and screw their wife, after that they usually dont bother me..lol
Old 08-17-2005, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

This classic always makes me laugh...
'Oh, no thanks, I'm still breaking in this new liver.'
Old 08-17-2005, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the first ones the best one. If you dont want to drink wait untill your friends are toasted that way when you get there you can watch them make an a"" out of themselves to remind yourself why you are staying sober (at least for that day). After that you usually end up leaving early anyway. on the other hand stay away from the moderate drinkers as they tend not to make an a"" out of themselves. But if your like me its not too hard to find the disfunctional drunks (ya know who i am talking about).
Old 08-17-2005, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some good tips there, especially arrive late and leave early. I find there's a two hour window I can be around people drinking before I start to get really bored. Usually it's because the conversation turns into bullsh*t.

But I never pretend my drink is alcoholic. If people ask why I'm not drinking I usually say "I quit", then when they ask why I say "Because I used to get too sh*tfaced all the time". Most people admire someone who quits and the rest, well who cares about them.

P.S I like the idea about dancing. It's hard to get up there stone cold sober but it's a great way to spend a party. I went to a fancy dress a few months back and danced for an hour or so. I'm pretty dreadful on my feet but then so are most people so I fit right in.

Also another tip, talk to people and ask them questions about themselves. People love to be asked about their lives and the benefit of not drinking is you actually remember it all the next day ! Then next time you meet them they're impressed and amazed that you remember stuff about them. It makes people feel good !