Notices

alcohol so hard to quit rant

Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol so hard to quit rant

why is alcohol so hard to quit. I have done other drugs like coke and speed and have never woke up the next day and said to myself lets go get some more cause i like this ****** feeling I have, I dont do the drugs for long stretches of time hell now that I think about it its been over 3 years. . So WTF I wakeup with a massive hangover, headache and upset stomach and do say "this is so f'ing great I think I will get some beer and start this all over."

Any how just sitting back reading posts does seem to help with the cravings and knowing that there is someone else out there that is in the same boat, or should I say wagon. Just a funny thought why doesnt the wagon have and seat belts the thing is so easy to fall off of.

sorry about the rant but it has helped me for this day.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like you've got the chemistry required to become a full fledged drunk. Severe hangovers are a pretty good indication that you should stay away from it. Alcoholism is a progressive disease and if you're sick now it's not hard to imagine how you'll feel with a week's run in you...especially if you combine with coke/speed!

Quit while you're ahead sweetie.. and f&*k that morning drink!
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

So WTF I wakeup with a massive hangover, headache and upset stomach and do say "this is so f'ing great I think I will get some beer and start this all over."
Thanks for reminding me why I don't drink today. Don't start drinking again. The viscous cycle never ends.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's crazy. I've gotten up in the middle of the night on countless occassions, feeling like total hell, then reaching for that 4am swig of vodka hoping to settle things down and put me to sleep (if you want to call it sleep). Actually it was my favorite drink of the day. Hopefully "was" will be my word of the day.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello

I am glad to see you are trying to find your way into a sober life. Most of us here can relate to the insane grip of alcoholism.

AA is where I have learned to quit and stay quit.

I hope you find an answer...
Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember so many days where I woke up with a piercing headache, the shakes, nausea so bad that I could not eat, as well as that taste in your mouth as though you had swallowed a bag of dirty socks. When I was drinking, I needed at least about 12 - 13 hours of sleep, and then another five hours to recover from the night before, and I still felt miserable. After having a day like that, guess how I would spend my night: drinking beer and brandy.

It just got worse and worse, and one day "still buzzed from the night before," I thought to myself that as miserable as I felt, if I continued drinking, I would have many more days of physical and mental misery to deal with.

Well, that was 23 days ago, and I have not had a drink since then. I do not want to forget how those hangovers feel, because that is one of the many things that makes me grateful to be sober for today.

There are many different recovery options which work for different people and personalities. I personally got to a point where I did not want to do this alone anymore, and I have found AA to be extremely helpful.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by idunavailable
why is alcohol so hard to quit.
As a progressive, physiological disease's foundation alcohol f* up your homeostatic balances. Then, paradoxically, the body craves the very same substance that shattered the balance in order to, guess what, regain the newly founded “balance”.

Once when I realized that all that is going on in those endless agonies over drinking is "just" a result of a chemical dependency and when I realized that I am no more than a slave of the very same dependency I built, it was easier to break the vicious cycle and to quit drinking.<o:p></o:p>

It was a choice – am I going to lead my own life or am I going to blindly fulfill those chemical needs. F* them, have a banana.

Even a kiss is much, much better without the stench of drink waiting to spoil it...
<o:p></o:p>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p>