Notices

Difficult day

Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficult day

Well I am still sober, with less than a month under my belt this time. I hope that this time I have more tools and understanding of my addiction to deal with it. Only taken 20 years so far, guess I am a slow learner!

Today was a difficult day, I felt really out of sorts, almost off balance and several times caught myself thinking about a drink. Ive not been to AA for months and decided to go to a meeting tonight, but chickened out, just sat in my car and watched everyone go in. I could not face the fuss, the questions, stupid I know. The weird thing is I felt better just for nearly going in. So I came home and read some of the posts here, some uplifting and others reminding me of how hard this can be.

Maybe I will try agai next week.

Pete
Old 08-12-2005, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

The parking lot shuffle...
I remember it well Pete.
I interrupted my sobriety recently. I was a little perturbed when I went back to meetings. For the most part, my peers were all class acts. There will always be a few people asking stupid questions, I suppose.
Good on you for going home instead of the pub. You may not have made a meeting, but you sure took care of the essential. And in the morning, you'll be grateful.
Sleep well Pete.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
new life

Dont feel like the lone ranger pete, it took me 25+yrs of slow learning,
keep trying buddy!
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Pete, These are normal feeling for the place in recovery you are. Hard as it is, you must fight the desire to isolate. I treat my alcoholism in the 3rd person at times. Your alcoholism loves you being alone. Nobody on the other shoulder to contradict his trash.
Don't go in there, you're not one of them, go home relax. Another suggestion is to set road blocks for yourself. Go to the meeting, sit up front. This makes it more noticable if we leave. And you know how we don't like to be noticed. Your alcoholism is starting to loose it's grip at around 30 days. Tools,actions and change will give you strength to pull away from its' grip. Somebody told me once, OK more than once, when I'm alone I'm in bad company. Don W
Old 08-13-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Pete,
The important thing is that you didn't drink. You recognised that you were having a problem and took steps to deal with it. Well done you.
Michael
Old 08-15-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

good for you!! Hey,...atleast you know you're not B.S.ing yourself. You went. That took courage. You did that not to pacify anyone else. You did that for YOURSELF and that MEANS something. Only thing is, I wouldnt wait until NEXT week to try again!! Maybe try again tomorrow. By next week this may be old news for ya!!