Notices

Tip

Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tip

Although I am not now a member of AA there is something vital they have given me. I only speak for me, but the idea of acting selflessly, and with love, to my fellows is so important. Hands held up, I could never do this whilst I was drinking. I wanted to be part of, but did not know how. Lost and confused.

So, with practice,in recovery, acting selflessly, even just a couple of times a day, makes me feel human, and esteemed. People over the years have looked out for me, and now its my time to play a more mature role in society. One that is of service primarily. Its not about morals but thanks AA!
Old 08-08-2005, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Michael

I think altruism is what defines us as human beings. The performance of an act of kindness benefits both parties and I suppose when we were drinking the utter selfishness of our alcohol affected behaviour makes these act of kindness less and less likely.
I read somewhere a little while ago about a guy who set himself a taget of one act of what he called "random kindness" a day. He claimed that this simple philosophy changed his whole outlook on life. It looks as though you have discovered a similar philosophy and I hope that you continue to reap the benefit of it.
Best wishes
Michael
Old 08-08-2005, 03:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Micheal - its so essential, so rewarding.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have

an absolute conviction that as long as I practice the Golden Rule and stay in sobriety that I am a success in life.

Thanks for the reminder...
Old 08-08-2005, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes Carol. A study found out that most people, on their death beds, regret one thing more than anything: they wish they could have shown love more to others.

I want to love my fellows and I will practice it, like playing a sport, until I succed.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks Mill,

It can give you a good feeling to help another person out with no alterior motive. Not that that is reason in itself to do it (I hope), but it is a positive benefit! I was fortunate enough to have that experience the other day. I ran into a guy parked down at the river here who was living out of his car (which I've done a couple of times for a short period), who was gonna spend his last two bucks on some bottled water. Well, I ran home and filled up a couple of jugs and gave them to him. Not a huge deal, but it helped him out, and made me feel good because I was able to help someone else.

Doorknob
Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

Reminds me of that movie Pay It Forward, loved it.
and yes acts of kindness paid forward come back to us by making us feel good. To think that i thought i need booze and drugs to 'feel good' just makes me shake my head.
AA has taught me so much not only about myself but about others.
yup, thankyou AA!
I was going to a detox meeting the other day, when i was walking up to the door a guy was sifting through the cig butts for a decent puff, i gave him a couple smokes. Before i would have looked down my nose at him, judged him, but i've been there. I've learned to 'just judge judgement'.
hugs, Wendy
Old 08-08-2005, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It made me think of "Pay It Forward" as well. Although, I never understood the ending of that movie.

Doorknob
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

jeez i don't remember the ending...refresh my memory?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I just remember that the kid dies at the end, and I never understood why it had to end like that.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

There's also a great country song along those lines, if anyone knows the title or artist? Heck, I'll give the radio station a call!

Doorknob
Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

give me some of the lines...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Geez, I can't even remember the hook! A guy helps a woman out with a flat tire and won't accept any money, then later on she leaves like a hundred dollar tip at a restaurant for a pregnant waitress, who turns out to be the guys wife. Something like that!

Doorknob
Old 08-08-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

hmmmm....lol don't think i know that one, and i'm a country bumpkin