Notices

hi all..

Old 08-02-2005, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi all..

I was here and have been from time to time for the last few months. Many of you tried to help me determine the status of my drinking. As a result I feel that I have determined that I abuse alcohol (for sure). Anyway, at this point I am scared about my past drinking- that I have serious liver disease! I am to scared to even get tested- I am such a wimp. Does the past always catch up? Doc's always say- Oh..your in great shape- healthy 34 year old but I wan't to say- NO I probably have liver disease! Guess I am freaking- anyone that can help?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Brenda.
I drank industrial amounts of hard liquor for about fifteen years.
My liver checked out okay when I finally hit the wall. Easing your worries by getting a complete physical can only help you in the long run.
There are several things you can do to help your liver back to life, so to speak.
Not drinking alcohol is one of them. Diet, supplements, etc...

But I strongly advise you to be honest with your physician.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree Dan- I have to bite the bullet and tell him. How did you know you hit the wall. Also, my physcian is a employee where I am a Administrator so I may need to change docs first. Last time he did blood work (about 1.5 years ago) my enzymes were normal except the AST was 47 (norm was 10-42). I am a very anxious person which is what got me into drinking in the first place.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brenda, here's corker for you. With about 20 years sober, I started donating blood platlets pretty much on a weekly basis at a local hospital. I enjoyed doing it to help people but it was also a relaxing time for me. A standard blood test was done to ensure proper iron and nothing that would injure anyone but my liver count was up at one point. I asked what could cause that. I was told that it was either alcohol consumption, or too much exercise activity in the gym. Well, my hobby is and was then, lifting weights so I knew it could only be one thing. I was barred from donating for one year because of the elevated level of my liver. Sometimes we just can't win for losing.
Like Dan said though, got get checked and set you mind at ease. Chances are you worry is for naught.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Everytime the Red Cross calls me to ask if I can come down and donate, (I've got the real popular O juice), I chuckle.
Honestly Brenda, see a physician.
And don't lift any weights in the meantime
Old 08-02-2005, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello again Brenda...

Hitting the wall for me was getting fired. I was too drunk to show up.

There is a fine line between alcoholism and alcohol abuse.
I never knew when I slid across.

I never had a legal or financial bottom.
Depression was my constant companion until I found AA recovery.

I hope you find the joy of alcohol free living.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, Brenda. Really, the liver test is no big deal. And the results of drinking aren't predictable: my years of heavy drinking didn't elevate my liver count. The good news is that I hear livers can be pretty resilient organs if you quit.

Now, what are we going to do about your anxiety? Dealing with that is likely to make a big difference in your long term sobriety, not to mention help you have a happier and more fulfilling sober life.

I'm sure glad I didn't do anything dangerous like weight lifting. I've always known exercise was bad for you.
Don
Old 08-02-2005, 09:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Brenda,
I confided in my doctor several years ago about my alcohol abuse and she has been very supportive. The blood test is no big deal.

DangerousDan -- Thanks for the chuckle!!! I really needed it.

Kathy
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

(((((Brenda))))))

Welcome to SR and I know that I have used and abused my body for years, the blood test is no big deal unless you are a recovering junkie LOL, but you should be ok. I know that I do have liver problems and it is not good, but I have to live with it until I die. I know I was thinking well since I am not in that good of health I might as well help it out a little, thank my Higher Power I am not thinking like that anymore.

Love Vic