Notices

I just want to die.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When my relationship ended after eleven years I thought I would die.

I was physically sick.I did not sleep for days at a time.My heart pounded and I found breathing difficult.I would throw up if I tried to eat.I could not watch tv or listen to music and I cried constantly.

The only thing that brought some relief was talking with my friends and going to counselling once a week.

I thought I would die.

People told me that not only would I continue to live, but i would become even stronger...........they were right......

Today I am in a relationship with a woman that I love who has borne me a son but with whom (alas) there may be irreconcilable differences........

.....if ever the day should come when we go our separate ways I know I will never hurt the way I hurt before because this time I know for sure that I will survive.......I will hurt and I will grieve but I will get on with my life....

I have no doubt that you love this man very much...........problem is there is no guarantees in love and the people we love may not always love us back or love us forever......

Perhaps your husband has loved you as much as he can as best as he can.........the type of rage you described suggests some deep emotional issues that he is perhaps unwilling to talk about.As a man, I know I found it very difficult to talk about issues relating to sex, money and personal needs.....issues vital in a relationship. If he is unwilling to discuss them with you or a trained counsellor then things can become much worse in the years ahead and perhaps it is best that you find out early in your marriage that things are not meant to be.......

Talk to your friends, be honest about your feelings, stop blaming yourself, stop blaming him.......do what you can to try and salvage your marriage but brace yourself for the fact that the break may come. The pain will get worse before it gets better but one thing is certain........you will not not die you will emerge better and stronger..........
Old 07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

((((((Anne))))))
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. I know what it is like to be in a mentally abusive relationship. My self-esteem was so low that I didn't have the courage to leave. I can't tell you how thankful I am now that he walked out.

My prayers are with you. Please, please take care of yourself and find some good support. The last thing you need to do is be alone with all your hurt feelings. My heart breaks for you, but if he wants to go, let him and go ahead and let the door hit him on the way out. You are better off alone than to have someone in your life who is so cruel.
Kathy
Old 07-30-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

(((((((((((Anne)))))))))))) Just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you.

Hugs to you--
Old 07-30-2005, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Annie -- I know you aren't on the computer everyday, but just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and hope you're doing OK...

Ken
Old 07-30-2005, 04:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Anne)))

Old 07-30-2005, 06:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

ANNE!

Sweetie ...... I just read your post and my heart aches for you terribly. I was on my way to call you when I realized I only have your work number. I don't know that you would have been able to talk though so perhaps it's best.

Anne, I know all too well the pain you are experiencing and no words can heal your broken heart right now! Just know that I am thinking of you and it just blew me away to read your entry.

We're so close (distance) ...... and if you need a shoulder to lean on .... you know you can count on me. If you need to chat, call me ..... if you need company, I'm here ......we've talked about getting together and I'd like to offer my friendship and listening ears if you want to do something tomorrow.

Again, I wanted SO MUCH to call you but didn't have your home/cell number. If you need to talk, send me a PM and I'll call you.

As *Tony* said .... This too shall pass ..... but, sadly, it takes time to heal from the heartache. Just be gentle on yourself and realize that it takes 2 to make or break a marriage/relationship. Do NOT blame yourself for it ALL! I wish my girls would understand that. Divorce is not an easy thing by ANY means ..... but when *one is blamed for it's entirety it just adds to the pain.

Please know you are NOT alone ..... and isn't it wonderful to know that we all have such a great support group here! Where would we be without this place I call home!?!?

You're in my thoughts and prayers, Ann! I wish there was a way I could take the pain away or had magical words that would ease this sadness; but, I can only be here if you need me!

I'll be thinking of you ALL NIGHT LONG until we speak!

Hang in there honey .... it's NOT easy ..... but, you know what ..... I was never one to think of MYSELF first ...... but maybe it is time BOTH of us do just that! Heal and move on and love YOURSELF first and foremost! It's OK to be selfish (not sure that's the right word) once in a while.

I'll send you a PM in a sec, but wanted to write you here first!

All my love to YOU, Ann

Maria
Old 07-30-2005, 07:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Anne,

Just one more thing ...... I'm an incurable romantic and WANT to believe in undying love ..... but I've learned it doesn't last forever and LIFE is worth living ...... losing it from someone you care for and love hurts deeply ..... but it is NOT worth dieing for. You are a very special person and you deserve to be HAPPY and enjoy and live life with a happy and light heart.

Think about whether this marriage is truly making you happy! Is it? If so, then you should work on it ..... counseling, etc. ..... whatever it takes. But, do some deep soul searching and make sure that it's truly something that's worth all this heartache! There's so much to life ....... and YOU'RE WORTH IT!

You're in my thoughts!
Maria
Old 07-30-2005, 07:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Anne,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there honey! If God gets you to it, He will bring you through it.

Love,
Cheryl
Old 07-30-2005, 08:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Anne,

This is the first time I've checked in for a while. I think you responded to a post of about a month ago, as we were starting quite a new adventure. My adventure is going well. We are far deeper into the wilds of West Virginia, and very much enjoying it.

But, it is always very disturbing to read a post like yours at the beginning of this thread. I have a very dear employee going through a similar situation to yours.

I'm not young anymore. I've certainly experienced many difficult times, but most of my experiences have turned out good. I've had a wonderful life. But, about forty years ago, several persons very close to me to me taught me how to walk away from severe adversity -- and never look back. Some was Viet Nam. Some was drugs and alcohol. Some was sheer adversity beyond comprehension. All efforts severly hurt me to leave them behind. However, there comes a time when you must protect your own sanity and safety.

I believe you are a well educated individual with connections to the university community. With what I know of you, you can go almost anywhere, and do well for yourself. Contact every old friend you have, especially in the education-related comunity. Let them know you need a change. You might be surprised what is out there. This is the time of the year to do it.

Look hard at what you need for yourself. Don't let others drag you down. It is amazing what a change in life can mean for your happiness.

Take charge of your life,

Toivo
Old 07-31-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are going through this.

Toivo's advice is great.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:01 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Anne, I did not hear from you last night and am quite worried about you. I just read the post below and Toivo is so RIGHT ON with his/her advice! You are a kind, caring, intelligent, and super person. I know it's difficult to think of a possible *change* in your life/marriage. I have learned from personal heartbreaking experiences that the answer is NOT in our addictions but in our recovery ...... which is far from EASY! BUT ..... having said that ...... WE DESERVE TO BE HAPPY! You need to re-evaluate your life perhaps and think about what truly makes you happy! I did some soul-searching and, I too, thought I would die after my volatile break-up with my ex love. Was it true love? I have serious doubts that it really was for we were in the fogs of alcohol and drugs and *I* am an addictive person and was addicted to what I thought was love. I care for him deeply but I REFUSE to let anyone bring me to the depths of destruction and pain it caused me.

Do as Toivo said ..... reach out to friends ....... ME! We've spoken and exchanged life stories and you were there for me on a day that I thought I'd never live through. My offer still stands ...... call me ...... let's get together! No matter what I may need to do today, I'll change/cancel it to get together with you today ...... if it will help you. I've looked forward to meeting you and I know we've talked about meeting since we do live so close to each other.

I didn't have many friends when my breakup took place because I alienated all *MY* true friends and family due to my addictions ...... and all the *supposed friends* were mutual friends that I need to stay away from (due to their continued drug/alcohol use). I know what it's like to feel ALONE! You're not! It's evident by the caring and concerned responses you have received here on this wonderful site. However, a face-to-face friend can be there to allow you to vent and I'm here if you would like that!

I didn't stop worrying about you all night.

If at all possible, please call me so that I know you are OK. I've sent you my numbers in a pm. If you do not reach me, leave your number on my cell phone because I am in transition and although I FINALLY installed a land line, I don't remember the #!

LET ME KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALRIGHT! Please!

All my love
Maria

Originally Posted by Suomi Poika
Anne,

This is the first time I've checked in for a while. I think you responded to a post of about a month ago, as we were starting quite a new adventure. My adventure is going well. We are far deeper into the wilds of West Virginia, and very much enjoying it.

But, it is always very disturbing to read a post like yours at the beginning of this thread. I have a very dear employee going through a similar situation to yours.

I'm not young anymore. I've certainly experienced many difficult times, but most of my experiences have turned out good. I've had a wonderful life. But, about forty years ago, several persons very close to me to me taught me how to walk away from severe adversity -- and never look back. Some was Viet Nam. Some was drugs and alcohol. Some was sheer adversity beyond comprehension. All efforts severly hurt me to leave them behind. However, there comes a time when you must protect your own sanity and safety.

I believe you are a well educated individual with connections to the university community. With what I know of you, you can go almost anywhere, and do well for yourself. Contact every old friend you have, especially in the education-related comunity. Let them know you need a change. You might be surprised what is out there. This is the time of the year to do it.

Look hard at what you need for yourself. Don't let others drag you down. It is amazing what a change in life can mean for your happiness.

Take charge of your life,

Toivo
Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Anne....

Praying for you...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Originally Posted by bikewench
Hey Anne....

Praying for you...
How's it going today Anne? From your first post from the library, it sounds like internet access might be a challenge, but we'd sure love to hear from you when you can get on.

Joe
Old 07-31-2005, 11:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Unhappy

You are still in my thoughts and prayers Anne.

I so hope you found peace during this horrific time.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

First and foremost.... I don't know how I can ever thank you guys enough. Thank you for the immediacy of your response, something I very much needed on Friday. Thank you for your advice, for your love and compassion, and for your carefully chosen words. Many of you brought up salient points, and the encouragement and affirmation you have given me are helping me to shore up my heart and mind now, when I need it most. There really are not words enough to descibe how much I appreciate the outpouring of support you have given me.

In some ways, I want to apologize for bringing such a personal topic to such a public arena.... I'm still not entirely sure that it was the right thing to do. I was reaching out blindly for support because I felt very lost and alone; I came here to NY with my husband, and I really don't have much in the way of community locally. On the other hand, speaking of my situation to you all... you who have helped me through many a dark day... maybe I did do the right thing, because you really have helped me once again. So... while I regret perhaps exposing something very personal to the light of day, the speaking of it also did much to see me through a bad time... and your collective words have given voice to many of the concerns that I already had, some of which I was reluctant to face.

All of this being said... I don't know what I am going to do. I am trying to take this one day at a time. I did not drink. I'll take that one day at a time as well. My heart wants to fight for this marriage with everything I have... but I cannot be the only person fighting. A marriage doesn't work one-way. My husband is, at this point, unwilling to seek or accept outside support. He believes - wrongly - that I am the reason for his frightening rages. He has pushed me around and grabbed me on a few occasions over the past two years; I am aware that such things can and often do get worse with time, if the root problems are not addressed. Right now, he is too angry and too proud to seek help. In his mind, the cause of his rage is me. Thanks to some things in my own emotional make-up, I have been willing up to this point to accept a lot of the blame. I am beginning to realize, though, that this is simply not true. I am a good person. I don't deserve to be treated so terribly. Of course I make mistakes; of course I have done wrong things in this relationship... but that is about being human, and struggling with things that many people struggle with. I am not responsible for his overreactions, and I am not all the awful things he has called me. I am healthy enough at least to finally realize these things, though my grasp on these things is still pretty fragile.

I guess what I'm going to do for now is to take it day by day. Your prayers and good thoughts are much appreciated; I'm sure I will continue to need them. Thank you for listening to this long explanation; I hope that I have gotten across how much your support means to me, and how vital it has been at this point in my life.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you again.
love,
anne
Old 08-01-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

QUOTE:

A marriage doesn't work one-way. My husband is, at this point, unwilling to seek or accept outside support. He believes - wrongly - that I am the reason for his frightening rages. He has pushed me around and grabbed me on a few occasions over the past two years; I am aware that such things can and often do get worse with time, if the root problems are not addressed. Right now, he is too angry and too proud to seek help. In his mind, the cause of his rage is me.

That's what I like to tell people as well it's their fault. Just curious, what power are you wielding over him?

Nice touch for him to say it's your fault instead of it's something inside himself.

The rage you say he exhibited is a main concern. With him refusing to seek outside help, you are best to get away from him.

Remember, you have no control over him. You can't fix what's bothering him. You can only work on your self
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Anne:
Your post emits a lot of AA, and I love it! Keep doing what you are doing, and God willing you will be OK. You did not drink, and that's what's important here. Some day that's all we have to hold on to...

Remember, you are not responsible for his feelings, just as he is not responsible for your feelings. Period. Please don't let him blame you. While I'm sure you can find "your part" in things, and that's important (going through that right now with another 4th Step), typically it's never just one person affecting a relationship.

You are doing great, and I'm sure you don't feel great, but your post has such hope, and I'm so happy for that.

Hang in there, PM if you need to, and keep praying!

Ken
Old 08-01-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Card Carrying Optimist

(((((Anne))))) Thinking about you.

Love Pearl
Old 08-01-2005, 10:29 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am a good person. I don't deserve to be treated so terribly. Of course I make mistakes; of course I have done wrong things in this relationship... but that is about being human, and struggling with things that many people struggle with. I am not responsible for his overreactions, and I am not all the awful things he has called me.
..atta gurl..

though my grasp on these things is still pretty fragile.
I hear you Anne...
My mate has issues with rage as well...
But.. I'm not running from them anymore... although they do still upset me...
I've been reading about it.. and pointing stuff out... at moments when he's more inclined to listen to me about it... and I'm not so reactive about it...

And I've found that some of the stuff I say is getting through to him... and he's begun to entertain the thought of maybe he can reacte differently around stuff that use to have him ballistic..

He use to blow me off when I'd try to address his anger... tell me that's what guys do...
but I know that's not true...
right guys..??

.. had to get past my own ideas around what I deserved though first..

I'm so glad your still holding your course....
Praying that the light of your HP shines strong and bright for you... so that your adversity falls to the wayside in the face of it's goodness and rightness...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Paused

Originally Posted by quercusalba
He believes - wrongly - that I am the reason for his frightening rages. He has pushed me around and grabbed me on a few occasions over the past two years; I am aware that such things can and often do get worse with time, if the root problems are not addressed.
His rage...his problem. Unfortunately, it has quickly become yours as well. Some people are unwilling or incapable of admitting the part they play. My ex was like that. He was never wrong. We all make mistakes. We are only human. Admitting when we are wrong is the follow up to our actions. I'd be covered in bruises and would wait until the cows come home before he'd ever admit he had a problem or was wrong. I made him do it or it didn't happen. It was my fault. I know you can see how twisted that is. Becareful...that sick thinking may never change. If he is never wrong there is no need for him to seek help.

No need to apologize for the subject matter. Unfortunately this is very real, very common. You are in recovery and trying to deal with life sober. Your plate is full. You did the right thing in reaching out. We need to reach out in times of pain. No one wants to go through hard times alone. It's good to get it out.

Your are strong for getting through this sober. I hope your realize what an accomplishment that is. Many wouldn't have been able to achieve that. This is a hard scenario to get through for anyone. Many people turn to alcohol during times like these. We know that is never solution only an added problem. Stay strong and continue to do so. You keep saying it yourself and your words ring so true. You are a good person. You don't deserve to be treated so terribly. Thanks for sharing. Keep taking in one day at a time. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

LeAnne