Notices

Hello, I'm new here

Old 07-26-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new here

This is my first day here. My wife found this group, posted about her frestration with my problem, got a lot of really great feedback and showed me. I was very moved by the support and degree to which others are experiencing what I feel. I desire to quit drinking. My parents are alcoholics, I have a child on the way (first) and I would like to be able to say I am setting the right example when h/she grows up. I also want to quit, because on tohse rare occasions I go 3 or 4 days without drinking I feel great. It just sneaks up on me, and I need help spotting the monster before he jumps back on my back.

Look forward to writing to all of you
Old 07-26-2005, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR The people here are so very supportive and understanding. We all KNOW what you're going thru. I think you're going to find a lot of very good info here and I know you'll get all the support you could possibly want. Have you thought about joining AA yet? I haven't done that yet but I know I should. On day 37 here!!

Looking forward to getting to know you! Best wishes
Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Welcome Beacon!

And congratulations on your new arrival "coming soon"!
Good choice to be a part of this group, it has helped me... I'm on day 5 and counting. This group is helping me tremendously, my sister too.
Stay strong and sober.... it's worth it.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Beacon...
I suggest getting to AA and getting to work. Our disease is cunning, baffling and powerful. It WILL be patient, it WILL get stronger, and it WILL get you when you least expect it IF you don't have a program of recovery.

Forgive me, Lively, but you are treading on thin ice. We don't want you to come back on the boards and say you wish you'd gone to AA. I don't know how this happened, etc. We've all been there too many times.

Being separated from alcohol is not being sober, so I need to find a program to help me "live" sober, not just be dry. AA works for me and many others, you may want to check it out...

Either way remember -- it's One Day at a Time!

Ken
Old 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
Forgive me, Lively, but you are treading on thin ice. We don't want you to come back on the boards and say you wish you'd gone to AA. I don't know how this happened, etc. We've all been there too many times.

Being separated from alcohol is not being sober, so I need to find a program to help me "live" sober, not just be dry. AA works for me and many others, you may want to check it out...

Either way remember -- it's One Day at a Time!

Ken
Yes, I know. You've said that numerous times I believe. Thank you for your input once again but I do not feel that I'm treading on thin ice and frankly, I resent you telling me that when you know nothing of me and my life except for what I've shared with you thus far.

I'm not angry and I hope I'm not coming off that way. I am considering AA and will continue to do so but I have deep qualms about the anonymity of AA and the fact that no one knows I'm an alcoholic except for me. At least I don't think anyone knows.

If you feel you need to continue this discussion with me further please PM me so as not to hijack this thread.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello

glad to see you here on Alcoholism!

What a grand gift you will be sharing with your wife and baby.

Blessimgs...
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hello and welcome to SR you have made another step in itself, and these people know what they are talking about, but it only works if you work it. First try to find out what triggers you, stay away from people, places, and things, I always add playgrounds LOL. You will be just fine, I have not quit I just don't drink or use right now cause that is all we have anyway. Hope that you do the deal just one moment at a time. Love Vic
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Hey Beacon,
How are you today? Are you fighting a good fight? You know what a good fight is don't you?...... It's one you WIN!!!!

My prayers are with you and your family. Oh and when the little one is born, kiss the neck for me!!!! I'm a Gram of 3 and I love those necks!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Resentment...

Originally Posted by Lively
frankly, I resent you telling me that when you know nothing of me and my life except for what I've shared with you thus far.
Resentment is the alcoholics biggest killer...you'll learn that in AA.

Good luck!
Cathy31
x
Old 07-27-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I agree, Cathy13, about resentments. They are the luxuries of normal people (Whoever "THEY" are! LOL).

and hello to Trooper...you are a trooper to be stepping up and seeking solutions. Keep coming back!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Welcome. I'm glad you found us. Keep coming back and take what these people tell you to heart. It is life changing information. You can do it. I have to go now, but I'm going to check back with you. Hour by hour, day by day.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Straight shooter

Glad to see you make the trip to alcohol free life.....It has been good to me!!! The road is not always smooth but just remember to stay focused on your goals, they will pull you thru the hard times..........I'm just past 2 years & life has changed for me, big thing is to keep yourself away from the bad elements. Old friends are just that old.......you'll need to leave em in the dust to focus on the new family.........It's a good thing no matter what anybody says.............your wife is in it for the long run. Stay the course!!!!!!!!! Good luck & I'm sure we will cross paths here in the future.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We all welcome you Beacon..

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.
Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.

Keep coming back, you and your family deserve to have the best in life.
With the help of A.A. and the fellowship, that can happen.

Good Luck to you and your family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.......Denise