Notices

Day one.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one.

I woke up once again with a horrible hangover.

After dabbling with recovery for quite some time, I finally did something remarkable today. I got rid of all or my wine, beer, and poured out the rest of my brandy. It is time for me to finally let go. I really want it this time. I also know that I do not have all the answers and I cannot do this alone.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
perbear

That is how sobriety usually starts! Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. I also had to be down and out before I finally surrendered but that was the first step for me. Once I surrendered I started to work on following the suggestions of the people in AA and I was able to stay sober one day at a time. For me that was amazing as I was never able to stay sober on my own. I believe that you are making good choices. Take care!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Good for you !

For pouring all the stuff out. Yup, it's just one horrible hangover after another. Know what you mean. Congradulations on your desire to stop drinking. Welcome back!
Bless, Trish
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. I usually post here every other month. I usually last about three- four days, and then go back out on a long binge. I've cancelled work for the day, and I am going to a meeting tonight. I need to get a sponsor, take suggestions, and I will need to spend more time on sober recovery.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excellent Ideas!

Glad you are here again! The only failure is to quit trying!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Dump out the booze, get to a meeting -- sounds like a great start!

Remember to keep it ONE DAY AT A TIME.

Ken
Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome!! and good for you. Before I quit I was taking full 12 packs of beer and empty cans to the car wash & dumping them in the garbage. I vowed never to drink again, I did that 2 or 3 times before I finally quit. I also didn't want my husband to see how much I was drinking so I would gather the emptys up in a garbage bag and head to the car wash!! I wonder who I was fooling? LOL
Vickie
Old 07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first day of the rest of your life!

I'm in your "cheerin' Section" ((hugs))
Old 07-25-2005, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Never give up the fight.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Back - hope you stick around!
JMHS
Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey CDR, Your here. Don't be too hard on past failings. Everything takes practice. You've made some good steps. I'd also suggest keeping yourself away from places to act on urges. Many times I'd set myself up by expecting negitive outcomes " I only last a few days". Then when I'd drink again I'd use it to reinforce my negitive thinking. Then my low self esteem got lower. We can convince ourselves that we are one of those poor unfortuanate souls that can't get it. Well you not helpless cause can you can post and ask for help, and you're not hopeless cause, you wouldn't be here. Welcome back and give yourself credit for what you've done. Don W
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Braveheart

We're here for you. I just joined this site two days ago and these people are wonderful. I'm with the rest of them - stick around! Welcome
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I really love this site.

I just got back from a meeting, met some people, and I got some phone numbers. My friend (possible future sponsor) introduced me to his sponsor as well. The stories that I heard were positive, and it sounds like these people are living wonderful lives compared to what they once were.

I made a committment to my possible future sponsor that I would not drink for tonight. So far things are going well.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi CDR, well done, your right this site and the people her are awsome, keep coming back and posting, we are all here for each other.

Pete
Old 07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks for posting this thread, i needed to read this this morning as i woke up with the worst hangover i have had in a long time; i read the prayer on page 63 of the big book and am trying to make it work for me
Old 07-26-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey, welcome back CDr55!

Double Plus what Don wrote. It's so easy for us to get trapped into thinking that we cannot change. Don't believe it, we can change and we can find real happiness and serenity instead of leasing the illusion from the bottle. It takes time, willingness and effort but it is so worth it.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well, good morning. I did not have the best nights sleep last night. I had trouble falling asleep, along with sweats and weird dreams which is to be expected. You cannot drink as much as I have, and expect to feel great after one day. Still, I do feel in my heart that it is better than waking up after drinking. Good news too is that I will not have to wake up earlier for the next few days, so hopefully I can catch up on my sleeping pattern. Anways, here is to the next 24.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Oh yea!
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're doing great. Keep things simple. I was helped at the start with a cognitive theaphy class at the VA. We have alot of learned negitive and destructive thoughts in our minds. The key for me was trying not to act on them. You won't be perfect, that is another set up. My biggest destructive tool I used often was " Sabotage". This one word kept me drinking for years. Many times, now that I look back, the sabotage was because of false information, deciding I could read other's minds, deciding I knew what people thought of me. I could go on but, I'm sure you and others could very easily complete my message from the experence. Remember, Your alcoholism wants you and mine wants me but, together it can't get us. Don W
Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Hey CD - Very impressed with and insprired by your thread. Great job, and keep letting us know how its going.