Notices

Day one.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I am beginning day 3. I was exausted when I went to bed last night, but I still had trouble sleeping. I went to a meeting last night, and went out to dinner afterwards with some of the members. Going out to dinner is a lot of fun, but it is something totally different considering how my nights have been speant for the past few years. Today, I have a fairly big work schedule, so making a meeting may be tricky. Fortunately, one of the guys at the meeting last night asked what my schedule for the day was in advance, and there is a meeting close to where I work. I will not be able to make the whole thing, but at least the tail end. It's better than nothing. Most of the people from the meetings go out for coffee or tea afterwards, so that gives me something to do. I've been reading the big book, and working the steps to the best of my ability.

Anyways, thanks to everyone here for their continual support.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Here it is at 12:30 am. I just barely got home. I made the tail end of that meeting tonight. I really need to learn how to live one day at a time. I focus way too much on the future. Plus, I am already thinking about how difficult life will be without booze.

This is alcoholism for you (cunning, baffling, powerful.) After a couple of days sober, I think of how good a night with the bottle would be (despite the sheer physical and mental hell I have gone through on account of years of that.)

On a good note, my friend (possible sponsor) called me from Hawaii, to see how I was doing. He said that he was very proud of me for not taking a drink, and it offers hope. It is moments like these that really inspire me to keep going.

Anyways, here is to the next 24.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Originally Posted by CDr55
I really need to learn how to live one day at a time. I focus way too much on the future. Plus, I am already thinking about how difficult life will be without booze.
Yah, focus too much on the future, and you lose track of the present. Then in the future you worry about the past you didn't enjoy, which is currently the present... you can't win this way.

I'm a couple months in and I'm still on Step One. I learning to like Step One, gonna work it for a little while longer. I looked at the other steps, but then I started focusing too much on the future and, well, see above.

Yes, here's to the next 24!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, I am closing in on day four, and let me just say it was not happy to say the least. My brother (who can be very snide) decided to make a few rude unnecessary comments. He does not have the ability to stay out of other people's issues. I was highly pissed and I ended skipping dinner and going to a meeting. Let me say, at times family can definitely challenge sobriety. I felt a little better after the meeting, and went to Taco Bell. Nice, the lady working there was rude as well.

I have not drank, but it was just one of those evenings where I really just wanted to scream. I just feel weak, and I do not do well with emotions.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
fire dancer

the 3 day wall has been a hard one for me....i found if i stop counting & just one day at a time

every sober day is a day of my life i have lived, no matter hoew hard, i was present for it.

congrats on dumping the booze anywhere but down your throat!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
fire dancer

on emotions....i know it sounds simple & ...well all that cuckca...but just keep breathing, let it move out instead of in...& YEEEEHAAA DAY 4!

ps yell if you need....just find a safe space to do it.... even if it is in the middle of the sidewalk if you don't mind the stares.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by CDr55
Let me say, at times family can definitely challenge sobriety.
Amen Actually, I think it's probably ok to scream (as long as you don't scream at someone) but proabably better just to talk about your emotions with someone who knows what you are going through. Try to remember that the woman working at Taco Bell wasn't saving up that rudeness all day just for you. For sure remember that

Every clean day is a successful day no matter what else happens.
and that the worse your day is, and it sounds like you had a beauty, the better your day is if you get to bed and the bed is not spinning. If you made through yesterday without drinking, you can make it through today without drinking.

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way to go! Never give up for a chance of a full, happy life! What has really helped me to stop relapsing (besides a bad drunk where I passed out and landed on my head) has been to focus on my life beyond booze. Starting some new interests and picking up some old interests (running, stained glass, etc.) I've written down a list of projects to keep me busy. When I start to get anxious and feel and "urge" coming on, I stop and analyze what I'm feeling. Why am I getting anxious? Then I do some relaxation breathing and it eventually goes away.

I know each person has to find out what works for them. It has been a long journey for me, but I never realized how much everything had come to be centered around the booze. There is so much more to life! Good luck!
Kathy
Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by findingout
. Try to remember that the woman working at Taco Bell wasn't saving up that rudeness all day just for you. For sure remember that
Thanks Tony. I know that she was not saving up rudeness. A couple of people in the program have told me that when you take away the booze, you feel everything better, and that includes emotions. Emotions and feelings are something that I do not do the best with. After I posted last night, my emotions did die down a little, and I am thankful to wake up today clear headed.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just remeber 2Tough2die and others, steps are a life long plan for your entire life. I learned the hard way for years that 2 to 12 don't matter unless I eccept, not just learn #1. Keep up good work all of you. I learn every post from you all. Don W
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Hey CD--I am a little late but I wanted to welcome you back as well. I think you are doing great. Keep on keepin' on and it will get better.

Hugs--
Old 08-01-2005, 12:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

^ Thanks Lulu, and to everyone

Well here is day seven. This has not been the easiest week of my life, but I did survive so far.

I really have to focus on each minute, and each hour of the day. I am the type of person that can think too far ahead of myself.

For some good news, I did get a sponsor.

Anyways, here is to the next 24.