Notices

I'm New Here, Too

Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Braveheart

I'm New Here, Too

Hi Everyone

My name is Gina. I found SR early last week and have been milling around (between binges) learning about the site. I see that there are a lot of wonderful people here who support sobriety. My sister, Charlene, is new too. she's a hoot! Friendly, quick witted, and faithful as the day is long (just like me!) We plan on attending the Wednesday meeting, so if there is anything that we need to know prior, that would be great.

I have damaged a lot of personal relationships because of my drunkenness. Thankfully, I have been able to heal most of them. But this one may be irrepairable. But can't worrying about that right now. Going to have to let God take care of that one. Today is my first day of sobriety (again). I quit back in October for 2 months. But those holidays hit and that was it for me! Back in the saddle again. It was a good reason/excuse and I told myself that I'd quit in January. Yeah right. Here it is August and like clockwork have my daily drinks. Used to be every other day until recently. So he's not talking to me, sleeping with me, or anything. Completely silent. It's a bit uncomfortable but it is also welcoming as I prefer it over his sharp tongue. I'm gonna need a lot of prayers!

Anyway, I found some great poems and the thread of what to expect. Super information. The tears already falling, but I tell myself its what I have to go through to break past the insanity.

Its a beautiful Sunday morning and I think I'll get some exercise today. Thanks for listening and I look forward to meeting all of you.

My sincere "atta boys" to all of you at SR. Your victories encourage me and I'm proud of you. Together we're gonna win!

Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Gina;
And WELCOME to SR!!!
You'll find much support here, for sure. And as for the meeting, just show up!
Please know that you have my prayers...
Shalom!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey, welcome Gina! Glad to have you here. There's a limitless supply of recovery on SR and the more people who share it, the larger it gets.

Tony
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome Gina and congradulations on today, we all should be happy that we are clean and sober today. These people here are like family, I have cried a lot here in front of this computer and it does help to let them emotions out. We all can do this togeather, and that is what it is all about. Very proud of you for taking the next step and I hope that we continue doing the deal one day at a time. Good luck and God bless you on this day. Vic
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Gina...

Welcome! Please let us know if we can help...ask questions...most likely someone here has 'been there done that'

So glad you have joined us...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

((((Gina))))

Welcome. Yup, no matter what happens in life, drinking will only make it worse. Staying sober is about living life and the miracles do come. I promise.

Are you planning on going to a face-to-face meeting, too? The support and strength and hope of meetings is my lifeline.

Hang in there, Gina. We're all pulling for you.

--phinny
Old 07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Thank you Everyone

Didn't take long for the tears to flow yet again! I plan on checking in daily. I've already spent most of my morning on the site. It has been rewarding, thought provoking, and encouraging. I really appreciate the support.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sup!
You will find a lot of nice people and great support here - local support, and being around sober people was also extremely important for me. Stick around!
JMHS
Old 07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((Gina))) Welcome to SoberRecovery.I wouldnt worry to much about anything except staying sober for now.Once you do this, you will find that things have a way of working themselves out.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Well, I went out and got my snacks and beverages to have on hand. I missed a BBQ with friends today. I told them I was busy... taking my son to visit with his father (which is true, but not until 6 pm) and basically sheepishly declined because I know not to trust myself right now. The good news is.... I called her back within 5 minutes and gave her the straight skinney, that I had found a wonderful website to help me with my drinking problem and that I would not be able to be around alcohol for awhile. She asked if I thought I had a real problem. I told her no, I didn't "think" I had a problem, I "know" I have a problem. That was the first time I confessed that to anyone other than my immediate family! Wow, that was big. Just thought I'd share!

BTW, your posts are wonderful. I've got lots of tears to cry.

15 hours sober
Old 07-24-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by SupCola
She asked if I thought I had a real problem. I told her no, I didn't "think" I had a problem, I "know" I have a problem. That was the first time I confessed that to anyone other than my immediate family! Wow, that was big. Just thought I'd share!
Gina, that wasn't big, that was freakin' Huge!

Congratulations on being completely honest about your problem. The more honest you are with the people you care about, the better your chances. Keep the positive attitude, do what you need to do to stay sober each day, and you can do this thing!

One Love, One Heart,
Tony
Old 07-24-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi SupCola,
Congratulations and welcome back. It's great to have you here. Phinneas brought up a good point. Going to meetings. Getting a sponsor and working the Twelve Steps and Traditions of A.A. are also very important. Find a support group in your area. H.O.W. --Honest - Open-mind - Willingness......Keep up the good work...My thoughts and prayer are with you. Take Care and God Bless......Denise
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Gina so proud of you and what you have done today, keep up the good work and remember that we are all pulling for you. I hope that your next day is even better, there are also on-line meeting here which can not hurt at least that has been the case for me. Ok good job.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Hello Everyone

My son is off on a camp trip for the next few days. It would probably be a good time to find a meeting to attend, perhaps even nightly while he's away. I must admit that I have mixed emotions about attending. Fear. Embarrassment. Pride. But I think perhaps God is opening a window of opportunity for me here with my son out visiting, I'd only be getting the silent treatment at home anyway! Facts are facts. Can't hide the shame and guilt inside anymore. It has to come out. And, they'll embrace me as you all have. Heck, I could even go by the bookstore for that BigBlueBook!

Got to face it if I'm going change it!

Thanks for all the posts everyone. It's been a teary day, but a crucial step towards recovery. Think I should check out the AA Locator before going to bed.

Until next time..... tally-ho!
Old 07-24-2005, 11:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

Whatssup, Sup? LOL always wanted to say that

Welcome to SR! Stick around
Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Gina I remember the first meeting that I attended and you do have a lot of fear, but when I walked in those doors those people just opened up to me and people that I didn't even know came over to talk to me. I was thinking WTF do they want from me, but you know they didn't want anything, WOW, so I went back. I am excited for you cause you are doing what it takes to be the person that you want to be SOBER AND CLEAN, what a miracle huh. I mean think of it none of us should even be here LOL I should be in my garage. And you know what I think is more shameful is knowing that you do have a problem and then not doing anything bout it, I am proud to be clean and sober and alive. Good luck thinking of you Vic
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Braveheart

Good morning Vic & Everyone

Thanks for the good words. Very comforting. I did find a H.O.W. group going on tomorrow night nearby. The only one in my area tonight seems to be a mens only group. If nothing else I'll get the Book and start reading. I'm feeling fine today, a bit emotional still, but slept well and feeling good in my decision.

So, off to the salt mines to earn another buck! Enjoy your day. Thanks again and keep in touch!

Tally-ho!
Gina
Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Good for you and if you need to you could go to that mens Group and get a meeting list if you don't have one and also they should have a Big Book there also if you can not find one let me know and I can fed ex one too you. Take care and you be careful at work, and the emotional rollercoaster ride will be in effect for awhile, just hang in there, if all we do is stay clean and sober nothing else is really important. vic
Old 07-25-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Every day is a good day!

Gina Mouse!!!
What a pleasure to share with you across the miles! I'm so proud of you Gina girl. I love you sis, and I miss your face!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome sup, Don't have much time to read but, wanted to welcome you. I hope you find the same help the rest of us find here. Nomatter what don't drink and keep connected. Even if you were to pick up. The fact you are trying. I posted here while jumping on andd off for about 2 years. I've now reached 2 years. I know you can do it. As far as the other stuff? You need to put that on hold and get yourself better. Many times the crap takes care of it's self. Not always to our liking but-----. Didn't read so don't know about you seeking a doctors help. They can help and depending on length and amount alcohol is one of the most dangerous to withdrawer from. Don W