Notices

Seven Weeks to Sobriety

Old 07-18-2005, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seven Weeks to Sobriety

Has anyone had any experience following the program outlined in the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Larson? It's a nutritional supplement approach.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a nutritional supplement approach to sobriety can be very helpful. But, that is only one aspect of getting sober. There's a lot more to it than that, in my opinion. Does the book cover the emotional and spiritual aspect of living a sober life?

Anna
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi

Welcome to SR!

I have no personal experience with the book.

Hope you find your answers...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that my sister tried it for a while, but it didn't work as well as she had hoped [and THAT's an understatement!]. I agree with Anna that there's much, much more to getting and staying sober - and I've been sober over 16 years. AA, Women for Sobriety, counseling, prayer - the one thing I know for sure is that I had to be willing to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober. I do believe that this Forum is great, and very helpful.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm trying it now

This is my first post.

I know this thread is very old, but hopefully I can find someone out there who is / has done the vitamin, etc thing.

I'm 9 days sober and doing OK. In March of 05, I went 10 days, but tried to do it on my own and haven't come close to 10 days again until now.

I put a lot of thought into how I was going to do it this time. What I found is that there is considerable medical agreement that diet and nutrition can help someone kick alcohol, but that ideally this is done in combination with counseling and/or AA. Some books even attempt to give guidance on how stop without AA. All concentrate on nutrition to some extent. I read a few and found that “Seven Weeks” (despite its ridiculous title) and one other were the most useful. I ordered the full “Seven Weeks” nutrition pack a week ago and have pretty significantly changed my diet. I know you shouldn’t try to do two things at once, but it’s almost like my changed diet brings a new routine and distracts me from the loss of booze. Working OK so far.

At the same time, I know AA will work for me. Starting a week ago today, I tried to get to a meeting everyday and made 4, one of which has promise as a home group. I’m not going to treat the ‘nutrient’ thing as a substitute for AA. I have been and intend to completely commit myself into the program and all the steps. I can’t do this without AA, but I am definitely a newbie and have a lot to learn.

I just want to stress again that I am not using the nutrients as a replacement for AA. I just figured if some people think they can do it without AA, I’ll learn from them and then go to AA too. Hopefully, I’ll get the best of both worlds…

Anyway, if anyone out there is doing the “Seven Weeks” thing or wants to hear more about what I’m doing, please let me know.

Bean
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anna's question

Anna - To answer your (very old) question, the book does deal with the emotional side getting sober, but from a chemical standpoint. The son of the woman who wrote it committed suicide soon after returning home from a detox center. In analyzing his behavior and eating patterns, she soon began to suspect that there was a connection between drinking, diet and depression.

After years of research (and a PhD in nutrition, for whatever that’s worth), she eventually came up with a nutritional supplement package that would first help de-toxify an alcoholic and then help them remain sober. She also talks at some length of the chemical reasons for depression and recommends nutrients to help solve those. She is in no way opposed to AA and recommends that people attend meetings, but she does feel that AA tends to ignore the physical repair needs of an alcoholic.

So, as far as the emotional aspect of a sober life goes, she recommends an awareness of nutrition on our emotional state, sensible diet and some sort of AA-like interaction.

As far as spiritual goes, she makes it clear that that is necessary, but basically leaves it to the reader to take care of it. I guess she thinks that once the body is stronger, the mind and soul can seek help.

For me, it seems to make good sense to use one ‘expert’ to help me take care of the physical and another to deal with the emotional and spiritual. That’s why the combo of this book and an intensive AA made sense to me.

Bean
Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Sounds like an excellent plan Bean. Keep up the good work!

DK
Old 05-29-2006, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bean, I'm glad you're here!

I think your idea of connecting diet and alcoholism is very worthwhile. I definitely believe that there is a connection between sugar-craving and alcoholism. From the time I was small I craved sugar. I never had a weight problem and didn't really give it much thought. But, the sugar craving is, I believe, a red-flag on the road to alcoholism.

I also believe that B vitamins play a major role in mental health. I have adjusted various B vitamins in my diet until I have found a combination that works for me.

I believe that diet can help alleviate depression in some people and it can make a big difference. However, people like me, who have a chemical imbalance, can only partially correct the depression with diet, I think. I also need antidepressants.

I am not an AA person myself, though I know it works for many people. There are other ways of getting and staying sober. And, I think good nutrition will work well with any method of stopping drinking.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anna - Thank you so much. For my body, I know there is a connection between sugar and alcohol and it feels SO good to hear someone else say it.

Yesterday I made a post regarding the connection between diet and alcoholism on a different board. Unfortunately, I mentioned the book “How to quit drinking without AA” and the moderator and one other member came down on me extremely hard for attacking AA. It bewildered and distressed me. It’s nice to get a more reasonable response and see that at least one person thinks I’m not totally crazy.

I too have a problem with depression and don’t know how I’m going to deal with that. It can wait a little while. I’m just concentrating on stay sober for now.

Thank You
Old 05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one thinks you're crazy Bean. You've just made an excellent decision to take back your life.

We're all on this journey together and by coming here we help ourselves and we help each other.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

I know how important diet can be. There was a time when my diet consisted of mainly alcohol. I went for three and four days without eating. When I finally did eat a meal, it consisted of very little. I know that is very common in alcoholics. I suffered from a B vitamin deficeincy and it created many problems. It was very painful and uncomfortable. I say a healthy diet is a means to a healthier mind.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From the Trenches - Week One

I’m doing the full nutritional supplement program outlined in the book. Though I have found many reviews and opinions on the book and its tact, I haven’t found any detailed account from someone actually doing the plan on any forum.

So, I’m going to post my experiences here. I’m writing this for the next person that tries it, as I know I would have liked to have someone to compare notes with. In that light, some of what I talk about won’t make sense and will probably be boring unless you’ve read the book. I’m not saying that other people should or should not use the book and I really have no idea if its safe for anyone else. Just sharing my experience.

I started the Seven Weeks regimen a week ago today. I hadn’t even heard about the book 10 days ago, but knew that for me kicking booze was going to mean significant changes in diet, particularly getting rid of sugar and fast food and perhaps carbs too. A year ago I bought a book called “How to quit drinking without AA.” It has some great information on the physical reasons for and impacts of alcoholism, but its recommended diet of all natural foods seemed a little too hardcore for me.

As my drinking progressed (at the end I was up to 2 liters or more of wine a night) and my life disintegrated over the last 18 months, I knew that I had to get out of this and that I had to develop a plan that would include big personal diet changes and a support group. I knew how I was going to get the support group (AA) but wasn’t sure about the diet.

So last Monday morning I googled ‘diet and alcoholism’ and found the Seven Weeks to sobriety book. It just felt right. Within 2 hours I had purchased the book and in another two I plunked down $410 for the full nutrient supplement package. That’s $10 a day on vitamins kids, so its not cheap.

This first week I’m taking 60 pills a day. We’re taking massive amounts here. Example – I’m taking 11,000 mg of vit C a day – 15 725 mg pills. Basically the nutrients are split into two groups – one aimed at starting to repair the damage done by booze and the other aimed at reducing cravings.

I got sober last Sunday and started the nutrients last Thursday. The first few days were rough. If I could do it over, I’d start the nutrients at the same time I quit. After one week it is working great (keep in mind that I am also aggressively attending AA meetings (goal of one per day)). I have no physical alcohol cravings at all and mental urges are (so far) easy to fend off (my work with AA will hopefully give me tools for further down the road). And (very important for me) I am sleeping pretty well. In fact, last night I got six hours straight – the longest continuous sober sleep I’ve had in I don’t know how long. Also, my night sweats and crazy dreams went away the first night on the nutrients. The active sleep nutrients are tryptophan and melatonin.

I’m using the Detox Formula #1 and haven’t missed a dose at anytime in the last week. I’ve cut out all sugar, sugar soda, fast food, and junk food (except some potato chips). I try to get 3 meals a day, and do all the cooking myself. Snacks between meals are important and the raw almonds and cashews are great. Pears also good. I’m still doing caffeine and nicotine, so that’s not cool (they are supposed to go in the next few weeks...). I also miss breakfast too often, but other than that I’m pretty much sticking to the plan.

I’m not having any side effects from the nutrients, though the massive vitamin C doses did upset my stomach a little the first couple of days. Its fine now.

This being day 7, I’m starting chapter seven “Correcting Chemistry” tomorrow, along with the further modified diet (my goal is to get to the low carb diet – much like Atkins). I’m using the Adjusted Nutrient Plan for II ADH/THIQ and Omega-6 EFA Deficient Biotypes. Based on the quizzes, I could have used either plan, but chose the one in table 6 because it seemed a little more aggressive. Number of pills will drop to only (!) 50.

Week one summary:
Couldn’t be happier with my AA – nutrient plan. Nutrient-wise, everything is working as advertised with no side effects. Frankly, the sleeping the first three nights before the nutrients started sucked, with night sweats, bad dreams and frequent wake ups. No magic, but a definite gradual improvement once the nutrients started. I don't know what's making it work, the pills, AA, or me, but think its a combination of all. Don't really care right now -- its working.

I have no cravings for alcohol at all, I like the cooking and the food that results from it, don’t miss sugar at all (expect for maybe a little after dinner). I’m starting to feel human again. Concentration is still pretty poor though, and I feel tired in the afternoons (possibility because I’m eating more than recommended for lunch) and energy level is not great.

I would like to quit smoking and caffeine, but I’d also like a beautiful intelligent wife, three kids, a dog and a million dollars. One step at a time. We’ll see what week two brings…
Old 05-31-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks...that was interesting to read.

When I began recovery..
I started a daily amulti vitamin + a B complex
+ Zinc and Potassium

Did it help? Heck I don't know.
But... it made me feel pro active and healthy...
Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sounds great. I am becoming increasingly aware of what I am putting into my bodies these days.

I eat 6 pieces of fruit a day and it makes me a GREEK GOD IN THE BEDROOM.

LoL. Serioulsy, I would be lost with em.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Week Two Report

As I said in my last post,

”I’m writing this for the next person that tries Seven Weeks to Sobriety. Some of what I talk about won’t make sense and will probably be boring unless you’ve read the book. I’m not saying that other people should or should not use the book and I really have no idea if it’s safe for anyone else. Just sharing my experience."

I now have 18 days sober and tomorrow I will start on the chapter four nutrient plan. This chapter is called ‘tailoring repair’ and introduces different sub segments of nutrient formulas. Much more complicated with a lot of info on how alcohol messes with the body and how the author feels nutrients can begin to fix the problems.

For now, I’m sticking with the II ADH/THIQ” formula and might add the formula for fatigue and/or liver repair. We’ll see how it goes. The liver repair includes silymarin, carnitine, GLA and some other stuff.

Overall, week two went well. Though I was hit pretty hard with depression on Monday AM, that has largely passed for now. I am definitely feeling better. Meetings, this forum and my own efforts helped. I’m actually enjoying music again, pulling out CDs that I haven’t listened to in years. I’m obsessed with the new Dixie Chicks CD. I’m joking at work again and people are giving me looks like “where has this guy been?” I’m sleeping well with few wake-ups and no night sweats.

Concentration is still an issue, but I can feel the fog lifting. Friday and Saturday I had my first real alcohol cravings. Scared the crap outta me. I dealt with them by eating a good meal and going to a meeting as quickly as possible. It worked and they passed.

Specific to the nutrients, I find the Omega 3 fish stuff introduced this week to be nasty, foul tasting stuff, but am sticking with it. Again, I did not miss any daily doses, though a few were off by a couple of hours. I find packaging the nutrients in small baggies with the time to take them written on them to work the best. The plastic storage thing that came with the stuff is useless.

At no point while taking the nutrients do I ‘feel’ their effects. They produce no noticeable immediate effects (other than melatonin and tryptophan for sleeping – those work great for me and I have actually cut the doses in half). Instead, the effects seems to be more gradual and cumulative, which is what I hoped they would be. I’m not looking for any more ‘altered states,’ just slow steady healing and my plan seems to be providing that.

At the start of the week, I took the ‘carbohydrate addiction test’ and found myself to be borderline for the severely carb-reduced diet, so I compromised and cut back carbs, but not to an Atkins-like level. I’m still not eating breakfast as often as I should, but do have nutritious snacks in the AM.

I always eat a healthily lunch (usually a salad) and dinner (chicken, whole grain pasta, sugar free sauce, etc). I don’t have any sugar of any kind during the day. I also found that if I eat a smaller lunch at about noon then another equal portion about 3 or 3:30, I have much more energy throughout the day. I have modified this a bit more and eat a smaller dinner before meetings and then a little more afterwards. Better energy in the evening too.

Where I am not following the recommended plan is caffeine (actually starting drinking MORE this week), nicotine and, starting Friday, ice cream after dinner. The book has pretty dire warnings about caffeine and nicotine and their relationship to relapse. Regarding ice cream, that’s sugar and I’ve learned that I can’t deal with that too well, but having it late in the day in sensible portions is working OK for now.

So, in summary, week two finds me settling into the diet and the pill taking routine just fine. I still need to work on caffeine and nicotine but things are going well. Again, I can’t really say for sure what impact the nutrients are having as I’ve never really tired stopping drinking without them (or without AA for that matter) but I sure as heck ain’t gonna stop taking them or stop going to meetings.

On a side note, I’m making good, solid (but typically (for me) slow) progress in AA. Tonight I stayed after for about 10 minutes talking to some ‘old timers’ and they gave me some good advice, particularly regarding picking a sponsor and good meetings for me. Looking forward to more.

Bean

p.s. Five, if you read this, can you please tell me what the heck fear soup is?! lol.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How about frozen yogurt instead of ice cream...to some of us it is tastier!

Thanks for this thread. I am listening and enjoying it and will continue to follow it.....as during my de-tox I have made some real changes in my diet and plan to continue to improve it.

One caution...if you have depression you should not take melatonin.

A very wise person here told me to eat low fat protein before bedtime...it promotes sounder sleep and helps the body repair itself while we sleep.

live
Old 06-08-2006, 02:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The nutritional supplement angle works well, coupled with not drinking and AA.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Week 3.5

Not a heck of a lot to report this week. I’m really settling into the nutrient pattern and my doses will now remain constant through the remainder of the program. I plan to go on a less intensive ‘maintenance’ pattern after the seven weeks are up.

Still sticking to the diet too. No sugar during the day, a little at night and generally eating much healthier.

In accordance with the book’s recommendation, I have set a stop smoking date about a month from now and have begun tracking caffeine and nicotine intake. Read a lot about melatonin based on input received and am still taking it at night, but carefully. Appears to be a lot of opinions about what it does to whom, but right now its benefits outweigh any harm for me.

Still going to AA meetings and frankly all my focus is there. Nutrients are on autopilot and that’s the way I want it. I’ve read the book cover to cover a couple of times now (and some sections a lot more). The last chapter or so deal a lot with remedies other than simply diet so I feel like I’m ahead of the game there with my AA work.

The first week or so I spent all my energy on the book and my diet so I’m glad I can concentrate on what I feel is more important for my long-term recovery – getting through the steps and learning how to live sober (actually reading ‘living sober’ now and finding lots of good stuff in it).

After far as cost goes, I figured for the next three weeks I’ll be taking $8 a day worth of nutrients and my maintenance plan going forward (I’m planning on an additional two months) will cost $4 a day. Plus I think I’m going to start the stop smoking formula, which will cost an extra buck a day while I’m quitting.

That’s all for now.

Bean

P.S. Don, the link didn't work. I was able to delete the 'nacin' and get to the general site, but couldn't find that link. If anyone knows of another place to find Bill W's thoughts on nutrients, please let me know. Bill W's work on nutirents was a major influence on the author and she mentions it frequently so I'd be curious to read more. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Frankly, the sleeping the first three nights before the nutrients started sucked, with night sweats, bad dreams and frequent wake ups. No magic, but a definite gradual improvement once the nutrients started. I don't know what's making it work, the pills, AA, or me, but think its a combination of all. Don't really care right now -- its working.
I'm also following the plan in this book, and I started the detox formula the weekend BEFORE I stopped drinking on Monday. I had the major sleep problems (insomnia, night sweats, frequent wake-ups, disorentation and "seeing things" when I woke up in the middle of the night). This lasted for three nights pretty badly and then slowly started improving.

One caution...if you have depression you should not take melatonin.
I just began seeing a psychiatrist about the drinking problem before I quit drinking. I have had insomnia my whole life, so she put me on trazedone to help me get to sleep at night. I called her office this Friday to ask if I could add an ambien to the trazedone, melatonin and tryptophan that I'm taking. She said that she was not aware that I was taking melatonin and tryptophan, and I told her that I had stopped drinking cold turkey on Monday and was doing the nutrient program in this book. She told me to stop the melatonin and tryptophan and increase the trazodone by 50mg to 100mg per night and let her know next week if that helps. If not, there is something else she can add (it sounded like Seratrol? Not sure how it's spelled). I increased the trazedone last night, but I was up working until 2am (for my home business), so I don't know if it helped or not. I won't really know until it's time to go back to work at my day job on Monday and I take the dose and hope to get to sleep by midnight Sunday night.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post

I also believe that B vitamins play a major role in mental health. I have adjusted various B vitamins in my diet until I have found a combination that works for me.
I have been doing my own program under the supervision of my doctor and my psychiatrist. They both know that I've tried AA repeatedly and that I no longer have any interest in the 12-steps and have had some bad experiences with AA. My program consists of Campral for drinking and Wellbutrin to treat my mild underlying depression that goes hand and hand with my drinking. I also have lurked here for a long time and read a lot of the posts and information as well as the Smart Recovery website and an occasional Smart meeting when I'm in the need for group therapy.

This has worked well for me and I have been attaining many of my goals, next week it will be two years that I quit smoking, I've changed by diet to be more healthy, I've lost 50lbs since December, got my blood pressure and high cholesterol under control. I've been exercising, reading about a book a week and gotten my finances under control. Most importantly I have been having increasing success with longer and longer periods of sobriety. I recently went 7 weeks without a drink. But, I fell off and went on a two week binge, and got extremely depressed.

What does this have to do with what I quoted above? Well, the drug my doctor had me on to control the cholesterol is Niaspan, which is extremely high does of niacin, one of the B vitamins. My doctor said I could quit taking it because my cholesterol was pretty much under control. I quit taking it five days before I fell off the wagon. When I read that above a huge light bulb went off in my head. I started googling information about niacin and depression and alcoholism. It was truly a EUREKA! moment, the Niaspan had been working with the Campral and the Wellbutrin and after a few days without the high doses of niacin in my system I started to crave.

I'm going to call my psychiatrist and doctor on Monday because prior, I was doing great, meeting goals, not craving and feeling on top of the world. Once I gave into the returned cravings after I stopped the Niaspan and drank, I crashed quickly. I'm restarting my Niaspan and hoping that it indeed was this strange drug cocktail of Campral, Wellbutrin and Niaspan that was helping me stay sober and positive.

My apologies for the long first post, but I just had to share that. By the way, I came across this thread when I did a google search for the book Seven Weeks to Sobriety and this thread came up in one of the first results.

P.S. Because I'm not doing AA doesn't mean I have anything against the program, I know it works for a lot of people, but it just didn't work for me.