Notices

London terrorist bombs...everyone ok?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richey

Not all of England/UK hates you...heck...you invented baseball caps and Mcdonalds...half of our population would DIE without those! LOL!
Im glad your here Richey.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I'm so glad they found saddam! he's in lock up about 10 miles away from son.
if anyone needs the death penalty it would be him. But I agree, a lot of innocent
people died.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angelgirl
Ok, other than this statement I'm doone on the issue, WE Americans are VERY good people. We care ALOT about others. We give alot to alot of other countries.. We are good people... No matter what anyone says. But in America, people can say what they want.
I diagree with you that Sadaam did not kill innocent people, he did...
My opinion.
Ok, said I was done, and I am.. Just wanted to say those last couple of things. We mourn the loss for your country at this time...
I said random people...not innocent people... just to clear that up.

and i do believe a lot of you are good people...i just don't trust your government one bit.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cindi
I am sorry but my Grandfather spent over a year in a POW camp during WW2 when his plane was shot down, I grew up on Air Force bases in Germany, Biloxi, Lancaster, etc and it is someting I hold very dear to my heart that these men and women are willing to risk their lives for freedom and they deserve all of the respect in the world, and I just cannot stand people putting my country down. We have the very best interest at heart I truly believe.
There's a big difference between hating our government and feeling supportive towards the soldiers who are over there fighting Bush's war. That's one of the things that we can still do in this country. We can criticize our government, at least for now.

I have no ill will towards our troops. It's certainly not their fault that we're in this mess. I'm sure they're doing the best they can under these unfortunate circumstances. That's the risk they took when they joined the military, I guess. Most of them didn't know we were going to have a warmongering cowboy for a president.

This country is far from perfect, and we have plenty of blood on our hands. Americans would do themselves a big favor by taking off their rose-colored glasses and looking at the facts. Instead, the majority of them blindly follow the president no matter what he does. I'm certain that his crimes and corruption will be revealed at some point, but it will likely be too late.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:30 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
To Life!

Originally Posted by Ann
I think that every time a terrorist action sets one free nation against the other, they win twofold. I believe this might be a good time for prayers for peace among all people.

By the way, I heard from our friend Andy, and he and his family are okay.

Hugs
Ann

My prayers remain with the people in England who have been hit with this latest round of terrorism.
Richie, it sounds as if you are doing better...a little less shakey. I'm glad. But, should those symptoms return and stay awhile, be sure to see a doctor. PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is common after an event like you've experienced. So, be kind to yourself....

Let's try to stay on topic....ok?
Shalom!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
It Is What It Is

Excellent point Ann...creating fear, confusion, chaos and despair is their main goal.

Praying for the world.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach

My prayers remain with the people in England who have been hit with this latest round of terrorism.
Richie, it sounds as if you are doing better...a little less shakey. I'm glad. But, should those symptoms return and stay awhile, be sure to see a doctor. PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is common after an event like you've experienced. So, be kind to yourself....

Let's try to stay on topic....ok?
Shalom!
I apparently have PTSD already...although I don't agree with the diagnosis...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:47 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
To Life!

Richie,
I am not a doctor, and I do not diagnose anyone.
I'm sorry if you thought that I did.
Mark Sichel, our very own "Ask the Expert" mod on SR has written about PTSD. You might find it helpful reading.
http://www.psybersquare.com/anxiety/anxiety.html
Again, I hope you remain kind to yourself....
Shalom!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach
Richie,
I am not a doctor, and I do not diagnose anyone.
I'm sorry if you thought that I did.
Mark Sichel, our very own "Ask the Expert" mod on SR has written about PTSD. You might find it helpful reading.
http://www.psybersquare.com/anxiety/anxiety.html
Again, I hope you remain kind to yourself....
Shalom!
Oh no, sorry, i didn't at all think you were trying to diagnose me...i was just commenting!

You know what's weird? Normally I'd be drinking because I'd be angry at a thread like this...but now I wanna stay sober so i can get my point across coherently!

Summary: politic arguments can be good XD
Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
To Life!

OK;
Heck, it's your thread. If you want to change the topic, it's your right.
I no longer need to get into political arguements on a help forum.

Just my feelings here; we are on SR to help or be helped.

I'm outta here!
Shalom!
Old 07-08-2005, 08:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Michael

Hi everyone,
I welcomed this thread as a way of telling people who clearly care about me the my family and I are OK. I have read the subsequent posts and feel that there needs to be a bit of balance from our side of the pond. I take a close interest in politics and international affairs and thought I would throw my hat into the ring.
I have been lucky and have travelled extensively in the US and Canada. I have met countless people on these visits and never have I been treated with less than good old fashioned courtesy. From Chicago to New Orleans, New York to LA I have been treated with enormous helpfulness and kindness. I have travelled in the deep South and never met a "loud mouth" referred to above. In both Canada and the US I have been impressed with the overt patriotism on display and I have to say that some of the same over here would not go amiss. I have met countless americans during the course of my work in London and again found them without exception to be thoroughly decent and furthermore possessing a deep affection for our country.
We went to war as part of a coalition in Iraq witht he express approval of our legislature. It goes without saying that there was opposition on a massive scale but the democratic process held sway. I happen to believe that we went to war for the wrong reasons. We should have been as honest as the US and gone to war with the specific aim of regime change.
Saddam Hussain was a barbaric despot who murdered his own son in law amongst countless thousand others. He gassed wholly innocent men, women and children, dispossessed the marsh arabs, subjugated tribes and discriminated viciously on the grounds of religious affiliation. Never mind his invasion of Kuwait and the ecological damage he did to that country.
He has been deposed and the Iraqis have held their first ever free elections, formed a government and are feeling their way towards the kind of democracy that we take for granted.
In my opinion there is a europe-wide undercurrent of anti-americanism. This movement is engineered and led by the French with the explicit support of the Germans. The purpose of this is to diminish US economic power and to enable the European Union to challenge the states in every field. To me America is a benevolent force in the world, taking the rational view that an improved world in every way benefits all of its inhabitants but it places US interests first.
In both the US and the United Kingdom, there is no need to keep quiet in order to remain safe, we can do and say whatever we want so long as it is lawful. We can observe any religion we like, marry who we like and have as many children as we want. Go outside of western europe and north america and see how many so called democracies are as free and democratic as ours are.
Oh and by the way, isn't it strange how Gadaffi in Libya and the boy Assad in Syria have come round to a western point of view. Lebanon is free of the Syrians after decades of occupation, the intiffada in Palestine has petered out and the situation on the west bank is being resolved. Terrorist groups around the world, including our own dear sweet IRA can no longer count on Libya as a supplier of semtex and AK47's. How much of this would have happened had the coalition not shown such fortitude I wonder.
As to Guantanamo, if I were a POW in a stalag or in a Burmese death camp, I would have a transfer request in asap.
If only the islamists responsible for the murder of fifty plus Londoners and visitors to our city would treat their targets so humanely. When these savages are caught and brought to trial they will be treated as innocent until convicted. With the shoe on the other foot they would treat us as innocent until murdered.
Enough politics from me
Keep safe and keep voting.
Michael
Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaelj
Hi everyone,
I welcomed this thread as a way of telling people who clearly care about me the my family and I are OK. I have read the subsequent posts and feel that there needs to be a bit of balance from our side of the pond. I take a close interest in politics and international affairs and thought I would throw my hat into the ring.
I have been lucky and have travelled extensively in the US and Canada. I have met countless people on these visits and never have I been treated with less than good old fashioned courtesy. From Chicago to New Orleans, New York to LA I have been treated with enormous helpfulness and kindness. I have travelled in the deep South and never met a "loud mouth" referred to above. In both Canada and the US I have been impressed with the overt patriotism on display and I have to say that some of the same over here would not go amiss. I have met countless americans during the course of my work in London and again found them without exception to be thoroughly decent and furthermore possessing a deep affection for our country.
We went to war as part of a coalition in Iraq witht he express approval of our legislature. It goes without saying that there was opposition on a massive scale but the democratic process held sway. I happen to believe that we went to war for the wrong reasons. We should have been as honest as the US and gone to war with the specific aim of regime change.
Saddam Hussain was a barbaric despot who murdered his own son in law amongst countless thousand others. He gassed wholly innocent men, women and children, dispossessed the marsh arabs, subjugated tribes and discriminated viciously on the grounds of religious affiliation. Never mind his invasion of Kuwait and the ecological damage he did to that country.
He has been deposed and the Iraqis have held their first ever free elections, formed a government and are feeling their way towards the kind of democracy that we take for granted.
In my opinion there is a europe-wide undercurrent of anti-americanism. This movement is engineered and led by the French with the explicit support of the Germans. The purpose of this is to diminish US economic power and to enable the European Union to challenge the states in every field. To me America is a benevolent force in the world, taking the rational view that an improved world in every way benefits all of its inhabitants but it places US interests first.
In both the US and the United Kingdom, there is no need to keep quiet in order to remain safe, we can do and say whatever we want so long as it is lawful. We can observe any religion we like, marry who we like and have as many children as we want. Go outside of western europe and north america and see how many so called democracies are as free and democratic as ours are.
Oh and by the way, isn't it strange how Gadaffi in Libya and the boy Assad in Syria have come round to a western point of view. Lebanon is free of the Syrians after decades of occupation, the intiffada in Palestine has petered out and the situation on the west bank is being resolved. Terrorist groups around the world, including our own dear sweet IRA can no longer count on Libya as a supplier of semtex and AK47's. How much of this would have happened had the coalition not shown such fortitude I wonder.
As to Guantanamo, if I were a POW in a stalag or in a Burmese death camp, I would have a transfer request in asap.
If only the islamists responsible for the murder of fifty plus Londoners and visitors to our city would treat their targets so humanely. When these savages are caught and brought to trial they will be treated as innocent until convicted. With the shoe on the other foot they would treat us as innocent until murdered.
Enough politics from me
Keep safe and keep voting.
Michael
I'm lazy so I'm gonna reply with bullet points:

*I acknowledged that people share both views in each america and britain and I know and have said that many many americans are kind and good people.

*southerners probably weren't loud mouthed with you because they agreed with your opinions. I know a friend in texas who tried to commit suicide because she was hounded by anti-abortionists in her street. I have also had southerners tell me I should be killed and that I am an abomination for liking men!

*The democratic process wasn't held up because it only took account of MPs votes and not the public's veiws.

*What's wrong with anti-americanism? Why hate the french for it? Their trade suffered immensely from petty backlash from americans over their stance against the war.

*So gauntanamo bay is slightly less horrific than the camps in bhurma... that just makes it the lesser of two evils.

*How do we know suspects for this bombing will be treated as innocent until guilty? That didn't happen with 9/11 suspects... and they were under guard of, supposedly, the greatest democratic and fair state in the world.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

oh please!

Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Chy

If your going to have a political discussion here, remember to keep it civil, resepectful and learn from it, learn others beliefs and values, learn how they came to believe, and be open to expanding your own beliefs and values. I cringe at political discussion as they end up being flaming wars, sure hope that doesn't happen here...again.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey Michaelj, you are very well spoken.. I'm sure you are a very smart man.

Richey, you know I love you, and I said I'd stay out of this, but the american bashing is a bit much, especially when it comes from americans.
We in America, have extremests, just like everywhere in the world. Your friend in Texas, obviously came across some of them. I myself am very anti-abortion, but I would NOT harass anyone for my beliefs. I also am a strong beiever in god, and would not bully anyone into my beliefs, that is America, we have choices here, we live with the outcomes of our choices. Maybe, I do mean maybe Saddam did not have WMD, but none the less, he is a tyrant that needed to be disposed of for a VERY long time. He is no loss to anyone. Did you hear the amount of money they found, American money, he was hiding for himself,a nd his family, yet many, many of his people live with horrible poverty. Ask some of your military men coming back from Iraq, ask them what the overall view is of America, and getting rid of Saddam is.. Ask the women who can work and don't have to cover their heads in Afganistan. Many of our men have gone and given their life so others in another country can be free of these conditions.
I definately consider all of our and your military men Hero's. Wow, to fight in another country, for their people, that is a sacrifice, while at home, their families not making ends meet finacially, due to their sacrifice. they are truly wonderful people.
I also am very sad that there is such an ani-americanism rally going on. I also believe the French play a huge part of that...
Out TV's channels here in America are filled with the pictures of London, and the sympathy going out to all in your country. We are a good country, with wonderful people, as is England. I have always though England was our friend, I didn't even realize there was american hate to that extreme going on.
America has made mistakes no doubt. We are a huge country, don't know a country that hasn't made mistakes, and it is not perfect here in the US, the government even makes me angry sometimes, but to rip on the US, it's wrong, in MY view. Like I said, go to other countries, and ask peopel if they's like to live here. It's a dream for many. People die in the ocean trying to come here.
Ok, now I better stop, it is a recovery site, and we are here because we need help. I will not let feelings about this get int eh way of my true purpose here at SR, which is to support EACHOTHER, and be supported.

I love ya Richey, I hope your well. Hang in there, looks like your doing a very good job of moving around the board, that is wonderful.

Love ya, Becky-- these are MY veiws, please do not blast me for them....
Old 07-08-2005, 12:54 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angelgirl
Hey Michaelj, you are very well spoken.. I'm sure you are a very smart man.

Richey, you know I love you, and I said I'd stay out of this, but the american bashing is a bit much, especially when it comes from americans.
We in America, have extremests, just like everywhere in the world. Your friend in Texas, obviously came across some of them. I myself am very anti-abortion, but I would NOT harass anyone for my beliefs. I also am a strong beiever in god, and would not bully anyone into my beliefs, that is America, we have choices here, we live with the outcomes of our choices. Maybe, I do mean maybe Saddam did not have WMD, but none the less, he is a tyrant that needed to be disposed of for a VERY long time. He is no loss to anyone. Did you hear the amount of money they found, American money, he was hiding for himself,a nd his family, yet many, many of his people live with horrible poverty. Ask some of your military men coming back from Iraq, ask them what the overall view is of America, and getting rid of Saddam is.. Ask the women who can work and don't have to cover their heads in Afganistan. Many of our men have gone and given their life so others in another country can be free of these conditions.
I definately consider all of our and your military men Hero's. Wow, to fight in another country, for their people, that is a sacrifice, while at home, their families not making ends meet finacially, due to their sacrifice. they are truly wonderful people.
I also am very sad that there is such an ani-americanism rally going on. I also believe the French play a huge part of that...
Out TV's channels here in America are filled with the pictures of London, and the sympathy going out to all in your country. We are a good country, with wonderful people, as is England. I have always though England was our friend, I didn't even realize there was american hate to that extreme going on.
America has made mistakes no doubt. We are a huge country, don't know a country that hasn't made mistakes, and it is not perfect here in the US, the government even makes me angry sometimes, but to rip on the US, it's wrong, in MY view. Like I said, go to other countries, and ask peopel if they's like to live here. It's a dream for many. People die in the ocean trying to come here.
Ok, now I better stop, it is a recovery site, and we are here because we need help. I will not let feelings about this get int eh way of my true purpose here at SR, which is to support EACHOTHER, and be supported.

I love ya Richey, I hope your well. Hang in there, looks like your doing a very good job of moving around the board, that is wonderful.

Love ya, Becky-- these are MY veiws, please do not blast me for them....

The British generally dislike the French... they're quite capable of being anti-american all on their own. I bet you guys didn't see the TV pictures of people outside gleneagles burning your flag...right? And cheering...?
I'm not going to get into this further...all I'm going to say is most animosity towards america is not towards americans but towards america as a state and insitution.
No one really hates the American soldiers here...well as long as no more of them take drugs and shoot down our helicopters o_O
I just tend to feel sorry for anyone in Iraq right now...civilian or soldier :/
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

This is an interesting subject. I think it is fair to say that most of us in the UK grew up with a distrust of Americans. During the cold war there was this popular image of some crazy American president sitting at his desk with a finger hovering over the big red button. We lived in fear of the 'end of the world as we know it' and as far as we were concerned the good ole USA would surely be the catalyst.

With the end of the cold war our perceptions are perhaps a little more complex yet i would say that the mistrust remains the same. This is of particular issue right now with Blair and his fore-lock tugging to Bush. Many Britains are wary of this.

This is a general rumination and not intended as judgement or to be any way logical.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

why don't you take all this political gibberish to a liberal vs conservative forum somewhere?

there's an old rule about not talking religion or politics in a bar ......... works the same way in sobriety
Old 07-08-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Yep, SORRY IF I OFFENDED........................

Becky
Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I can only say about my countries I am French, English and Irish, I have lost a big part of my family My middle son is safe he got me an e-mail through. I have no news of my daughter. I abhor wars and terrorism, still I would stand up until death for the peace of all.
Please pray for my daughter she is mentally challenged.

indie