Notices

London terrorist bombs...everyone ok?

Old 07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carchick4life
Hey Richey, I was living in New York on 9/11 so I know how you feel. It gets better, things calm down. As Chy said, the worst is over. Slowly things will go back to 'normal' or at least as normal as they can be. I'm glad to hear that you are okay, and I hope all your family and friends are okay also.

Thanks <3

Things are pretty much back to normal...london's had a lot of bombs and terror threats before...most people aren't worried...just those who were near there at the time (like me) and people who had family or friends commuting.
I'm going to be a bit more cautious from now on...I used to just be annoyed when the cinema or train station was evacuted for bomb threats...but now I'm actually gonna start cacking myself! My sister took one of the bomnb threat calls before and afterwards she was giggling about how she had to follow proceedure and ask the bomb threat bloke what his name and home address were. I'm so glad she doesn't work there anymore.
This is twice I've nearly died on a train! I missed the hatfield train crash by half an hour and was stranded for ages because there were no buses back. Again...i found it more annoying than scary.
I think I'm running out of lives...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richey
..but loud-mouthed southerners generally turn a lot of non-americans against you guys.
Yeah, they turn us against us too.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mishelly
Hey Richey...I want to apologize for going on a tangent about this stuff on your thread. I was upset about all this stuff earlier and I find it hard to keep my mouth shut when I have family over there risking their lives on orders from high command. I don't know if this thing is wrong or right anymore and I should not have voiced my opinion either way on your thread.

Anyway...I do hope you're feeling a little calmer now and I really do wish that the all the insanity and senseless killing of innocents would just stop.

And I wish for peace, love and understanding for the world.
Hey, I know...I understand your veiws if you have someone out there. I had 6 friends in the forces out over there...it's scary.
I know soldiers are just following orders so i don't judge them for being there and don't wish any harm to them... I'm just so sad that 23,000 people have had to die...and now the country is in a worse state than before. I'm all for freedom of speech but, personally, I'd rather not have my children dead for it :/
Old 07-08-2005, 01:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to be rude or start a tangent but-the men and woman in Iraq are there for a reason and most believe in that reason and put their lives on the line every day and I think (in my humble opinion) it is quite disresectful for us to judge every little thing where this war is concerned when they risk their life-as the Egyptian man who was murdered yesterday, stated they think they are standing up for Islam but in truth they know no religion. PM Blair didn't do anything because of Bush, it was his decision-I don't think Bush showed up at his mansion with a gun. The world IS a better place without Hussain in it (funny, rhymes with insane) and make no mistake, he was a terrorist in his own right and killed MANY, as did his sons and the British people should be proud they are standing up for people who for many years could not stand up for themselves-you are a wonderful country and we (Americans) love you.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:13 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cindi
I'm not trying to be rude or start a tangent but-the men and woman in Iraq are there for a reason and most believe in that reason and put their lives on the line every day and I think (in my humble opinion) it is quite disresectful for us to judge every little thing where this war is concerned when they risk their life-as the Egyptian man who was murdered yesterday, stated they think they are standing up for Islam but in truth they know no religion. PM Blair didn't do anything because of Bush, it was his decision-I don't think Bush showed up at his mansion with a gun. The world IS a better place without Hussain in it (funny, rhymes with insane) and make no mistake, he was a terrorist in his own right and killed MANY, as did his sons and the British people should be proud they are standing up for people who for many years could not stand up for themselves-you are a wonderful country and we (Americans) love you.
I think where people are risking their lives it's all the MORE important we question everthing!
Blair doesn't live in a mansion...he lives in a very small house with not even a yard :p
He sided with bush for lots of reasons...mainly because having such a scary force as america as a friend is much better than having them as a rival. Also lots of little reasons inculding the son of star wars project (or whatever it was called).
Saddam was an evil man...but the truth is he was the elected president of Iraq...much like Bush...but unlike Bush and america it turns out he had no weapons of mass-destruction! So, with america having the second worst human rights record in the world (as recognised by amnesty international)...shouldn't the rest of the world be getting ready to bomb america and free you guys in the name of the free world and human rights? I'm not saying we actually SHOULD...but you've got to think about it...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well, hmmm...yeah...lots of brits think 'damn yanks' but a lot of us do realise not everyone in america was for the war...but loud-mouthed southerners generally turn a lot of non-americans against you guys.
Not cool.I was born and raised in the South.And proud of it.
Thank you.The world is a better pace without Saddam.Now,Im sorry to have gotten this thread off topic.I send my prayers out to all the victims and families from this horrible event.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender
Not cool.I was born and raised in the South.And proud of it. .
A lot of southerners are nice and good people...it's just they're what people think of as 'typical americans' ...and in my personal experience they've been the ones who've had veiws which go against mine and have ruined the lives of people I know...they seem to be as proud of their extremist christian views as the muslim extremists :/
Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I think where people are risking their lives it's all the MORE important we question everthing!
Blair doesn't live in a mansion...he lives in a very small house with not even a yard :p
He sided with bush for lots of reasons...mainly because having such a scary force as america as a friend is much better than having them as a rival. Also lots of little reasons inculding the son of star wars project (or whatever it was called).
Saddam was an evil man...but the truth is he was the elected president of Iraq...much like Bush...but unlike Bush and america it turns out he had no weapons of mass-destruction! So, with america having the second worst human rights record in the world (as recognised by amnesty international)...shouldn't the rest of the world be getting ready to bomb america and free you guys in the name of the free world and human rights? I'm not saying we actually SHOULD...but you've got to think about it...
The only reason Saddam may have been elected is because people there were terrified of him (no one here was afraid of voting for John Kerry)-and please, in the future do not compare our President with him and for the record they have not found any "mass" graves in America as they have in Iraq. Just an idiotic comparison-in my humble opinion. And please don't even suggest we are a threat to the rest of the world and you are going to free us-we give more money than any other country in the world to the countries who need.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Binge poster

we give more money than any other country in the world to the countries who need.
Who gives official aid?
At a UN conference in 1970, the industrialised countries agreed to give 0.7 per cent of their income (GNI) in aid to the poorer countries. Only five countries have reached this target (Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the
Netherlands and, more recently, Luxembourg).

Denmark gives the highest proportion of its GNI in aid with 1 per cent. The United States gives the lowest with 0.1 per cent. The UK gives less than 0.3 per cent, although in 2002 it pledged to reach 0.4 per cent by the
year 2006 (adding over £1 billion to the aid budget).

We're not doing great over here either.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am sorry but my Grandfather spent over a year in a POW camp during WW2 when his plane was shot down, I grew up on Air Force bases in Germany, Biloxi, Lancaster, etc and it is someting I hold very dear to my heart that these men and women are willing to risk their lives for freedom and they deserve all of the respect in the world, and I just cannot stand people putting my country down. We have the very best interest at heart I truly believe.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:17 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

You go Cindi.. You have great views.. That's what's great about America and England, we can say how we feel... Unlike Iraq, well it's gettting better for them now.

Hey Richey. Glad you are still here with us..

We Americans are truly wonderful, caring people. And we love you and only want the best for you, my friend...
Be careful though now, they are afraid that either there may be more, or we have the same here in the US.
So everyone be careful... WE can't lose anyone here,,,

Love ya all, BECKY
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

The only reason Saddam may have been elected is because people there were terrified of him (no one here was afraid of voting for John Kerry)-and please, in the future do not compare our President with him and for the record they have not found any "mass" graves in America as they have in Iraq. Just an idiotic comparison-in my humble opinion. And please don't even suggest we are a threat to the rest of the world and you are going to free us-we give more money than any other country in the world to the countries who need.

But you ARE a threat to other countries! I'm sure the iraqis and loads of others in the middle east are pretty scared of america and coalition forces!
You may not have mass graves but america does some things that sicken the rest of the world...there's what happened in gauntanamo bay for a start...not to mention you execute children and the mentally disabled. These things are considered barbaric by most fo the 'civilised' world outside the states.
Bush and Saddam did the exact same thing-killed those they considered a threat to them! Bush just did it in the name of 'freedom' but whatever way you look at it both killed innocent women, children, families...and it's very very sad!

PS. Nuh-uh...America donates the least of it's GDP than any other country.
The american people might want to help the world...but your government wants to get away with doing as least as possible.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bahookie
Who gives official aid?
At a UN conference in 1970, the industrialised countries agreed to give 0.7 per cent of their income (GNI) in aid to the poorer countries. Only five countries have reached this target (Norway, Denmark, Sweden, the
Netherlands and, more recently, Luxembourg).

Denmark gives the highest proportion of its GNI in aid with 1 per cent. The United States gives the lowest with 0.1 per cent. The UK gives less than 0.3 per cent, although in 2002 it pledged to reach 0.4 per cent by the
year 2006 (adding over £1 billion to the aid budget).

We're not doing great over here either.
I'm not sure the americans get to hear all the criticism of their country that we do :/
I'm ashamed of Britain though...if and when Scotland and Wales become seperate states I'm moving to one of them. I hate Blair.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I am sorry but my Grandfather spent over a year in a POW camp during WW2 when his plane was shot down, I grew up on Air Force bases in Germany, Biloxi, Lancaster, etc and it is someting I hold very dear to my heart that these men and women are willing to risk their lives for freedom and they deserve all of the respect in the world, and I just cannot stand people putting my country down. We have the very best interest at heart I truly believe.
My grandfather died in a POW camp in Burma...he didn't wanna join the forces...he was conscripted.
I respect people who fight in the forces...I'm not anti-war and I know that we need them...I even have dozens of friends in the forces (I come from a 'deprived' area where joining was the best career most could hope for)...but respecting vetrans and the poor sods out there at the moment doesn't mean I can't criticise our governments!
I know most people don't wanna believe their kids, spouses, parents etc could be fighting in a war that's unjust...but sometimes you have to consider it.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angelgirl
You go Cindi.. You have great views.. That's what's great about America and England, we can say how we feel... Unlike Iraq, well it's gettting better for them now.

Hey Richey. Glad you are still here with us..

We Americans are truly wonderful, caring people. And we love you and only want the best for you, my friend...
Be careful though now, they are afraid that either there may be more, or we have the same here in the US.
So everyone be careful... WE can't lose anyone here,,,

Love ya all, BECKY
With all due respect I'd rather be quiet about how I feel than be picking up my child's limbs from my yard :/

I know you care...you wouldn't be replying if you didn't care but we'll have different views being from our respective countries. Britain is one of the least patriotic countries I've come across which makes it polar-opposite to America. We view that the goverment should bow down to us as we have elected them...whereas you guys seem to bow down to the government as take their word for things. It's good that you have faith...I guess...but true democracy is never acheived without questioning those in power...
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Well, don't get me started on that one!
If we finally get it together and become independant (hopefully before out oil runs out!) you will more than welcome to come and live here.

J
Old 07-08-2005, 06:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

[QUOTE=Richey]With all due respect I'd rather be quiet about how I feel than be picking up my child's limbs from my yard :/

I don't understand this statement..

I know you care...you wouldn't be replying if you didn't care but we'll have different views being from our respective countries. QUOTE]

Yes, we all have different views on this subject, but we all have for the most part, the same views on caring very much for each other, American, or whoever, here..
I do love America. People die all the time trying to get here. I am blessed to have been born here. Ask some of the peopel that come here. But I have ALWAYS thought of England as our best friend, not just Blair, but the people to. I though they felt the same. I know other countries hate us, I guess I didn't know you'll did..
Well we still love you.. You must have good feeling about Americans, you spend time talking to us.

Love Becky
Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=angelgirl]
With all due respect I'd rather be quiet about how I feel than be picking up my child's limbs from my yard :/

I don't understand this statement..

I know you care...you wouldn't be replying if you didn't care but we'll have different views being from our respective countries. QUOTE]

Yes, we all have different views on this subject, but we all have for the most part, the same views on caring very much for each other, American, or whoever, here..
I do love America. People die all the time trying to get here. I am blessed to have been born here. Ask some of the peopel that come here. But I have ALWAYS thought of England as our best friend, not just Blair, but the people to. I though they felt the same. I know other countries hate us, I guess I didn't know you'll did..
Well we still love you.. You must have good feeling about Americans, you spend time talking to us.

Love Becky

That statement was in reference to Iraq...before they couldn't speak out...but their children were safe...now a lot of them can speak out as much as they want...but their children and families are dead.
Saddam didn't go around randomly killing people...so if you kept quiet then your family would be safe and grow up with nice normal lives...now there's little chance of that in a lot of places in Iraq :/

Not all of England/UK hates you...heck...you invented baseball caps and Mcdonalds...half of our population would DIE without those! LOL!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Ok, other than this statement I'm doone on the issue, WE Americans are VERY good people. We care ALOT about others. We give alot to alot of other countries.. We are good people... No matter what anyone says. But in America, people can say what they want.
I diagree with you that Sadaam did not kill innocent people, he did...
My opinion.
Ok, said I was done, and I am.. Just wanted to say those last couple of things. We mourn the loss for your country at this time...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think that every time a terrorist action sets one free nation against the other, they win twofold. I believe this might be a good time for prayers for peace among all people.

By the way, I heard from our friend Andy, and he and his family are okay.

Hugs
Ann