Notices

any couples quit?

Old 07-06-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any couples quit?

hello all
Has any couples quit together. I have been addicted for a long time and now can claim that I was able to get my wife hooked as well, It took a few years before she fully understood what its like to get drunk. (I guess I should have became a bartender and got paid for my magic gift lol) Now every day for the most part 6 to 9 becomes party time. We have quit for a week at a time but the old ways creep back up on us weather its her or I that start back up. So if you are out there give me some tips like do you go to meetings together, how can one person be strong when you both are weak? One good thing is that we get along drunk or sober.
we have done our fair share of drugs like coke, weed and speed and did not become addicted.
we are highly functional drunks and do well at work, school and home life. We really want to quit now before our daughter grows up any more, she is 3. we want to quit but it looks like we need outside help.
thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Meetings together and maybe separate meetings as well.

Lots of understanding.

Forgiveness

no blame

I stopped and my wife didn't. What worked for me and what worked for her were not the same. As individuals, we each had to find our own way.
When one is weak and one is strong, the strong can be supportive and uplift the other. I wasn't the strong one every time and she wasn't the strong one every time either. Respect, understanding, and forgiveness from each other for each other, as you both find your own way to a sober life.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm a goofy dork most times =)

I'm not going to be much help, my husband and I were like that, and he quit because he wanted to and I haven't. He's not supportive at all when it comes to helping me quit--he's more condescending and suspicious which doesn't help matters at all. I posted a post about not being able to have fun without a drink and hope to get some inspiration there. I'll keep tabs on you though, I'd like to see how you and your woman go about it maybe I can get some tips!

Nice to meet you
Jenni
Old 07-07-2005, 09:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks
I see your point best. Working together with fogiveness does seem to be the best approach, hell no one is perfect and S##t does happen. I am willing to quit even if she does not or decides to moderate and I can not judge her either way, although she has more controll when she puts her mind to It, and my stopping will definatly not hurt anything. As I remember the last time I quit for two months (when I was single) it got waaaaaaaay easier after the first week, so here we go to test that theory.
jenni I read your post and replied not that its much help but we are here with others with a lot in common good luck
Old 07-07-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My wife and I were good drinking buddies. Went everywhere together. On March 23rd, 1976 she decided she'd had enough and went to her first AA meeting. I kept on drinking but I did go to Al-anon so as to learn how to "help" the poor thing. Well, on March 1st, 1977 I decided to go to my first AA meeting. We've both been sober since the first day.

Onlyest thing I can say is you gotta want it to get it! Until then, it ain't gonna happen!