Notices

Beer doesn't even taste like alcohol anymore...

Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Chy

You can go to a pharamacy tomorrow and ask for itch/rash creme Bendaryl or Cortizone is what they call it here. Get some immodium for the runs and stomach, and citadine tabs for the heartburn, buy the generic, cheaper and works the same. ..... and yes you can!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
You can go to a pharamacy tomorrow and ask for itch/rash creme Bendaryl or Cortizone is what they call it here. Get some immodium for the runs and stomach, and citadine tabs for the heartburn, buy the generic, cheaper and works the same. ..... and yes you can!
Ah, benidryl, I have some form of that somewhere...that makes sense, it could be an allergic reaction.
I have hardcore perscription anti-diarrhorea tablets that I take 3 times a day every day anyway...not sure if i should take anything on top of them...I'd speak to the pharmacist but I hate discussing stuff like that if there are other people in the store :/
Has citadine got another name? I have some cheap chalk antacids but they're not working...in fact the taste of them if probably what made me throw up...what is their obsession with bleeding cherry flavour? lol... grrr...
Old 07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello, Richey.

Go for a walk, my dear. Walk. Don't drink. Look at the ground, and see it. See it sober. That's just the beginning. You see a tiny plant peeking out of the pavement? Praise it! Look how it's surviving! The pigeons that are undoubtably flying overhead? Look at them. They're beautiful, and they have naught. But they keep trying, working, living. I'm not trying to compare you to plants and animals, necessarily, but see some other thing. See the life around you. If you're so bored, find out what these things are... learn their names and what they have to offer. You are so bored, right? There is so much to learn. I lived for several years in SE Asia, and I had not much in the way of clothing - what I had, I scrubbed by hand, with soap and water. It does not matter what you wear, it matters what you are.

Blah. I am saying nothing that you don't already know. I just hope you're ok.

--anne
Old 07-05-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Richey
I'd speak to the pharmacist but I hate discussing stuff like that if there are other people in the store :/
Give a ring before going to the store. Ask any questions via the telephone and you won't need worry about people that may be in the store.

Either that or as you ask, just remember we are all made the same and we are all human. What others think or don't think about any question.... that is "their " problem.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Richey
...what is their obsession with bleeding cherry flavour? lol... grrr...

I can't stomach that stuff myself...
About detox... I just went through a nasty one. Ligthning struck. Drank an industrial amount in a very short time. Bang. Painful three days followed.
We can detox. And the power to do so is between your ears Richey.
Don't give up.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Chy

Despite the discomfort now, I've been tickled to death knowing this may be perhaps your first day clean and sober! You will do this, I'm sending all the karma I can muster up your way to give you the strength to continue to do so!

...and as for that cherry stuff......yack! I can't take any of it either, no stick with the prescribed stuff seems like you have what you need.

Tagamet and Pepcid are the brand names of the antacids.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quercusalba
Hello, Richey.

Go for a walk, my dear. Walk. Don't drink. Look at the ground, and see it. See it sober. That's just the beginning. You see a tiny plant peeking out of the pavement? Praise it! Look how it's surviving! The pigeons that are undoubtably flying overhead? Look at them. They're beautiful, and they have naught. But they keep trying, working, living. I'm not trying to compare you to plants and animals, necessarily, but see some other thing. See the life around you. If you're so bored, find out what these things are... learn their names and what they have to offer. You are so bored, right? There is so much to learn. I lived for several years in SE Asia, and I had not much in the way of clothing - what I had, I scrubbed by hand, with soap and water. It does not matter what you wear, it matters what you are.

Blah. I am saying nothing that you don't already know. I just hope you're ok.

--anne

I do keep looking at the payment...it's my judgement of sobriety (mixed with a little OCD)...whether I can place each foot squarely in an individual slab... hmmm...I still do it sober...
Anyway, I get your point...I don't live too far for a really nice park...guess I'll go there tomorrow if it's dry...doubt there'll be many bars or liquor stores in the woods :p
Old 07-05-2005, 02:37 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best
Give a ring before going to the store. Ask any questions via the telephone and you won't need worry about people that may be in the store.

Either that or as you ask, just remember we are all made the same and we are all human. What others think or don't think about any question.... that is "their " problem.

I don't know the number of the place...I just moved here.
Yeah, I guess a few strangers knowing i have the runs isn't as bad as actually having the runs.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan

I can't stomach that stuff myself...
About detox... I just went through a nasty one. Ligthning struck. Drank an industrial amount in a very short time. Bang. Painful three days followed.
We can detox. And the power to do so is between your ears Richey.
Don't give up.

I'm hoping it'll be less than 3 days...is there any way to work out how long it'll take?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
Despite the discomfort now, I've been tickled to death knowing this may be perhaps your first day clean and sober! You will do this, I'm sending all the karma I can muster up your way to give you the strength to continue to do so!

...and as for that cherry stuff......yack! I can't take any of it either, no stick with the prescribed stuff seems like you have what you need.

Tagamet and Pepcid are the brand names of the antacids.
I've been sober...I think...18 hours now!
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Dan

Not that I know of Richey. It's pretty much up to your body to flush itself.
Just from reading your posts, since you've come here, if I was in your shoes, I'd clearly seek medical advice of some kind. At least ring the pharmacist, like Best said, if not a doctor. An ulcerated stomach is no fun by itself.
Add withdrawal to that, well...

You clearly have courage Richey. Use it wisely.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:07 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm going to go to the doctors tomorrow...I need to go about the rash and this as well. I've been through the DTs twice and I know the more you get it the more likely you are the next time...although I don't feel anywhere near as bad as I did during the last detox and the other time was brought on by being repeatedly kicked in the head.
Anyway, I know I'm safe from that...otherwise I wouldn't be here typing right now...but thanks for the concearn.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
REAL Alcoholic

This message is to all involved with the Richey/Earlybird debacle....

I go to meetings every day and at last Sundays meeting during some pretty serious sharing, a man walked in off the street, visably intoxicated, and very obnoxious. A senor member took him outside to talk while some other members grumbled about his behavior.

Yesterday, a week later, this event became the topic of our discussion. It turned out that at least one member was troubled by the treatment we gave this guy. After all he said, this IS an AA meeting. Where would you want a drunk to go?

Some of the other members pointed out that the room was really full of God and our higher power that day because just as we were hearing about some member's miracles, we saw a painful illustration of what we once were. To them, it seemed so appropriate that this guy walked in when he did.

My point to all this, is that instead of bickering, or worrying about "keeping it happy" we should welcome posts like Richey's so we can all remember the rational WE all used in the periods when we were drinking.

Regards to all,

Bob 56 days
Old 07-18-2005, 07:34 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

well said.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Michael

Richey,
I have been following your posts for a while now and I think you are not only dependent on alcohol and drugs but on other folks helping you out. This is not meant to sound harsh but to be an honest appraisal. You will always be dependent while you maintain your current outlook. You will only break out of your dependency cycle when you decide to do something for yourself, by yourself.
As a case in point you are asking for help in finding a local AA meeting, you don't need help to do that. You just need to get on to the internet and type in AA and follow your nose from there.
Utter dependence on others is poison to the soul and can lead us to see ourselves as victims. If you concentrate on you and exclude others from the equation you will see that neither you nor any of us are victims here, we consciously and of our own free will took to beer, scotch, vodka or any other addictive substance. Nobody force fed me and I am sure that goes for you too. No knight in shining armour is going to come along and slay the dragon, it can only be slain by good old you.
Time to take responsibility for your own actions and get to grips with the dragon.
Go for it Richey, you have nothing to lose but a continuing dependency.
Michael
Old 07-25-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Paused

How are you doing Richey?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:17 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hey boredom can be a problem reguardless of how long you have. I was out of work for a month and thought many times about solving it the old way. I didn't have to and neither do you. There have been many great suggestions but, action is the only thing that will make them work. The more you build up your interests the more weapons you'll have against alcholism/addiction. I treat mine like a third party. Always trying to get me angry,happy , sad and BORED enough to drink. FIGHT IT WITH INFORMATION AND ACTION. I've been sober for 2 years now, with many trys in between. Taste stop having anything to do with it years ago, in fact not sure it ever did. I drank for affect and if I'd known before more about drugs to get me there quicker, I would have used them. Heck, this time around I found that cocaine could have helped me drink more.I sat right up in class hearing that. My problem at the end was being able to drink enough for that affect. I started passing or blacking out before. Don W
Old 07-26-2005, 05:17 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Richey,
When I wanted information on Meetings, I looked up Alcoholic Annonymous in the phone book. There is a number to call to at least find out where a central building is.

For me, reading your post was a gift for me because I was reminded where I was just 5 weeks ago, and it reinforced my commitment to stay sober. Lately, I have been opening the door just a crack, thinking mabe I would have "just" a couple beers next week when I go on vacation to see some friends that drink. My sick mind was telling me that I can go there and have a few and come home and act like nothing happened! WOW is alcohol ever cunning, baffling all so powerful!! Richey, this morning you helped me shut that door completley, I give myself NO option to drink, because I know I would be right back to struggling, and I want to continue to feel positive today and not be sick. You may have offended a couple of people, but you helped me so thank you Richey and don't quit coming back. I was a member of SR several months before I got sober, so the program must work in the long run for drinkers too!!
Vickie