Notices

Is there any hope?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tenK
Hi Tommy,

Maybe this will help with your self-esteem. I think you are a thoughtful, articulate person. Really good post.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by tenK
Just keep trying. You know what the "usual" will get you. Try the unknown.
Nice way of looking at it. I put somewhere else on these boards that recovery can be exciting, fun even - a process of discovery.

One other thing I'm doing at the moment is coming off antidepressants. Before anyone suggests that might be causing the depression: so far, when I reduce a dose I actually feel I have more energy, sometimes too much. I'm tailing off incredibly slowly (over about 4 months now) as I've had trouble before and am feeling good and confident at the moment about the fact I can cope on the lowest dose I've been on for 8 years.

Feeling OK, if a little jittery today. Have agreed to meet a friend in a bar later and feel confident I'm not going to drink...will post later to say how I got on.

Tommy
Old 06-24-2005, 04:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Wow Tommy and everyone what a great, great thread.

THANK YOU!!!! So many of this resonates for me. Thank you for giving me ALOT to really ponder on today.

Tommy, I think being kind to yourself is important...also remember you are only 25!!! You are taking this decision *proactively* at such a young age. That is awesome. Give yourself credit. I could NEVER have done what you are attempting at your age.

Please do come to SR more often, and you know that meetings ARE going to help you...why not just say ok 5 days, 5 meetings? And see how you feel?

Thinking of you SO MUCH!!!

love,
Cathy31
x
Old 06-25-2005, 02:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sober in KY

Originally Posted by Music
Hi Tommy,
My hobby is exercising and weight lifting. I love it. I love the personal challenge involved, the way I feel and the way I look. I got hold of some equipment and put in my basement. My wife and daughter fixed up the room with slogans on the wall and their special little touches. Didn't work!! I tried working out by myself and just didn't work. I couldn't get motivated. So, I joined a gym. That works!! I get up every morning at 0400, shower, eat breakfast and am out the door at 0500 to workout at 0530. Whole different atmosphere. People there, laughing, talking, joking around, but everyone there for the same reason.
I don't know how many times I swore off drinking, making that promise to myself and whoever would listen that "I'll never do that again." Never worked!! I always felt alone, living with all the inner garbage that had accumulated over the years. Being inside me was like being in that basement. I just wasn't motivated and didn't know how to motivate myself. I didn't have the skills. So, I went to AA. There were people there, laughing, talking, joking around, but everyone was there for the same reason. Today, not only do I feel good about the way I look outside, but I feel even better about the way I look inside. It works!!
This quote should be famous. Great analogy and use of words.

Is exercise an addiction? I switch back and forth from drinking to obsessive exercising (and anorexia.) Sometimes they overlap. Just wondering about your thoughts on that.

~ashes
Old 06-25-2005, 02:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Tommy
How did you get on last night in the bar? How are you feeling today? Have you run your anti-depressant tapering by a doc?
Let us know!

Thinking of you,
Cathy31
x