Notices

Detox Herbs & Vitamins, Etc.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Detox Herbs & Vitamins, Etc.

I have struggled with alcohol for some time now and have made many attempts to live a sober life. I haven't had so much luck with it. I am on day 2 yet again.

I of course have a close familiarity with the physical aspects of cutting off the booze: hypertension, racing heartbeat, shakes, anxiety, tension, etc. I have found through trial and error a few things that have helped me with some of these symptoms. I know in hospitals they give folks benzos/tranqs, but to me these drugs are just as addictive. I wanted to find things that would control symptoms more gently.

I have that during the day I have found the following to be helpful in controlling shakes and anxiety: GABA, Taurine, B-Complex (50-100mg), Magnesium, Selenium. At night, Valerian and Meltatonin seem to help with sleep with out side effects.

These don't seem to be habit forming.

This regime seems to help with the symptoms, especially during days 3-6 or so when they seem most accute.

Knowing that I can control to a degree the most overt symptoms makes the push into detox a bit less daunting. Before I know about them I was so afraid of the shakes and hypertension that I felt I couldn't make the plunge.

Anyone else found any herbal or nutritional help with detox symptoms?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I worked to get my entire alimentry canal cleaned out(mouth to anus) by doing fasts and cutting out refined carbs and sugars. I basical followed the "candidia diet" because I found out that most people who drink have blood sugar imbalances and also an over population of yeast(candida) in the intestine. I used acidolphils to restore the flora of my intestine,milk thistle to strenghten my liver, blue green algae for trace minerals for my brain function and also for the complete essential amino acids.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pheonix

OK you can call me a tree huggin' hippie, but I have great faith in teas. Some are excellent antioxidents, some are calming and soothing, and some aid in digestion ( for those in their first week of sobriety and with icky tummies.) Available in any grocery, just read the boxes and see whats available for whats ailin' ya. ( Also using honey as a sweetener, no refined sugars please! )
Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found Valerian root tea very helpful with the sleeplessness in early sobriety. Tastes awful, but it helped.
Others have mentioned the vitamin supplements, and I believe there's a popular book on that subject that's been mentioned before; can't remember the name (better go take my Ginkgo biloba...).
Don S