Notices

Carbohydrate cravings?

Old 06-12-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Carbohydrate cravings?

Hi all,

I am happy to say on day 16 here, but this weekend has been real weird. I have been acting like I drank a bunch Friday night, even though I did not, which is to say very unproductive, can't get a thing done, just want to sit around and watch TV. I have no motivation to do anything, although I need to be doing things. In addition, I was really in a bad mood at work on Friday and have just not been happy this weekend.

Anyway, I've been eating a lot of potatoes and noodles. I am not a real fan of sweets, but I remember someone telling me a potato converts to one cup of sugar. Am I just having cravings for alcohol and this is why I am so out of sorts and eating lots of potatos and noodles? It's almost like a binge thing. There is part of me that "needs" something, and usually I eat a lot of potatos and noodles in the first few days of alcohol withdrawal. Anyone else experience this and how do I get past this? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

carbs are sugar..booze is sugar. You're used to consuming a lot of sugar when you were drinking.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR CLEAN TIME!

The cravings go away so better carbs than booze !
Old 06-12-2005, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

The carb craving is completely normal. I would just keep an eye on it and try not to let it get out of control.

As far as the other symptoms, you could be experiencing Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). I went through the same thing and another member here directed me to do some research. I ran a Google search on PAWS and found out a lot of information. It made me feel better that I wasn't just going crazy!

Try not to be too hard on yourself. It is okay to have some down time sometimes. We all need it. Enjoy the fact that you could relax and be lazy and not feel sick while you were doing it!!

Congratulations on your sober time!

Hugs--
Old 06-12-2005, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi SC...

Way To Go On Your Sober Time!

The PAWS link is in the top sticky. I just posted it yesterday.

A carb overload does make you listless. Fresh veggies will help valance it out.

Blessimgs...
Old 06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Hi,

Foods that are high in carbohydrates can play havoc with your system. You tend to get spikes of sugar into your bloodstream and as that high level of sugar drops away you find yourself feeling hungry and developing cravings for foods that give a rapid blood sugar boost. I find that for me it is best to avoid foods high in carbs and concentrate on high protein substitutes.
The latest dietary fad here in England is the glycaemic index (G.I.) diet. This diet concentrates on foods low in carbs and ones that are absorbed slowly into the blood stream. You might want to give it a try. There is also the old favorite Atkins diet, again concentrating on eliminating all but the smallest amounts of carbs.
Giving up alcohol, particularly large amounts of beer does leave the body craving sugars to replace the missing dietary input but I am not sure that it should leave you as down as you are after 16 days. There is probably more to this than diet and if your feelings of lethargy continue for very much longer you might do well to ask your doctor for advice.
I hope you feel better soon
Michael