Notices

Day 1

Old 06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hello all! I'm new here and today is day 1 sober.
And I would be lying if I said I was confident about my ability to stay this way. I've done everything I can to keep from drinking. I've cleaned, walked the dog, eaten everything in sight, called everyone I know, and now here I am. I'm shaking and I'm scared to death. But I'm not drinking.
Does it ever get any easier?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it does!
You might want to check out the thread up at the top What To Expect....
Welcome to SR, and please keep posting,
Don S
Old 06-11-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes, it does get easier. Recovery programs and coming to places like this make it so. It won't be easy, but you can do this...We need survival tools to divert us from that next drink. For me, drinking was pretty much all I knew. I had to relearn living life sober. It can be done if you really want it.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!
We all started on day 1, and it does get easier!! Not easy, but easier. So, lean on people here, take it one day at a time and if you really want to stay sober, you can do this!
Old 06-11-2005, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome and congrats on day one! Yes it does get easier, you'll find new things to occupy your time, just stay busy, read a lot, keep walking the dog, excercise is good for you in the early stages as it will help with the sleep problems you may encounter. You can do this, lots of miracles in progress around here.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Congratulations on seeking a sober life!

For me...AA meetings gave me a way to stay sober and enjoy it!

Please stay around..ask questions...read our post.

I do hope you find answers that work fir you.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
For me, drinking was pretty much all I knew. I had to relearn living life sober.
Sobriety is quite the new sensation! Saturday night sober is a very new feeling for me and I bet waking up tomorrow and knowing everything that happened tonight is going to be an even stranger feeling!

Thanks for the support guys...I'm not sure anyone has ever told me that I can do this before and I very much appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a sober day! I find it very comforting and inspiring to read people's recovery stories in the My Recovery Story Forum. It's good reading.

I'm starting over and today is my day #2. Know what? I already feel heaps better than yesterday. And I just watched a movie and I will remember it tomorrow!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rho
JstBcuz

CONGRATS for ur 1 day

It is a day at a time for some a minate at a time, but keep coming back and say a prayer as often as you desire it willl help!!

Hugs an support to you:-)
Old 06-11-2005, 11:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

And I just watched a movie and I will remember it tomorrow!
This is huge. It would take me 10 years to rewatch all the movies I've rented and can't remember the endings to. Sometimes I'd forget I'd already rented it, watched it drunk, and forgot the ending twice.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I apparently had a bad habit of watching the same movie (The Big Chill) everytime I got drunk and would swear I'd never seen it before. It drove my roommate crazy. She finally stole the movie from me and said I didn't have it. I think I'll watch it tomorrow...sober.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hi UM and welcome to SR. This is a great place to come for support. The people here are terrific and so understanding. Kudos to you for realizing you have a problem and wanting to do something about it. It won't be easy, but life with alcohol isn't easy either! The difference is the reward of sober life. I'm on day 8 today and it feels great. Good luck to you

livlaphluv
Old 06-12-2005, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((((((((((Unholy_Mess)))))))))
Welcome to day 2 What movies did you watch yesterday?

Just checking to see if the fog has rolled out that quick?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sad to say I didn't make it through day 2. So frustrated. **** really hit the fan today so I got high...when I get high I drink. Passed out for 2 hours, woke up with a swollen and bruised eye. I feel pretty much like a failure, but I guess tomorrow's another day.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

Sh*t really hit the fan here as well. I didn't get high or drunk. There was a time I would have used this day to get stinking drunk. Thank goodness I have tools and no longer have to do that. I'm sorry about the bruised and swollen eye. Ow, that brought back some memories. I use to be covered in bruises continually. At least now when I get one, I can remember how I got it. Keep fighting. Never give up, you can do this. Maybe you could learn some tools to use as coping skills. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Don't give up. You can do this. It is when things go bad that we need some tools the most. Keep reading and posting here, and try to consider finding a recovery program of some sort. I go to AA and it has been a life-saver. If you have any questions, just ask!!!!

We're here for you.

Hugs--
Old 06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I kept trying over and over but until I got some help I didn't get anywhere. I hope you'll stick with us here! I have three weeks today and I'll tell you what, it gets so much better so quickly that you will be amazed. No matter what else happens, just don't give up.
Big Hugs!
Karen
Old 06-12-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unholy_mess
Sad to say I didn't make it through day 2. So frustrated. **** really hit the fan today so I got high...when I get high I drink. Passed out for 2 hours, woke up with a swollen and bruised eye. I feel pretty much like a failure, but I guess tomorrow's another day.
((((((((Unholy_Mess)))))))))

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get headed in another "positive" direction. Relapse itself can become habit forming from what I've seen. The failures are transformed into success when we keep moving away from that first and last drink.

The lifepreserver I use is available when & if your ready. You're worth it now.

:aasmile

((((((((Karen)))))))))
Congrats on 3 weeks! It works, it really does!

Kiss Heart of Spirit
In Love & Service,
3 Legacy
Old 06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 1: The Sequel was a great success. Spent the day with a nondrinking friend. This seems to be a better start this time.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Michael

Unholy,

Welcome to SR, I am sorry that your first attempt at sobriety failed and I hope that you will succeed this time. Giving up is never the easy option, but for addicts it is the only option if you want to get a life that's worth living.
I hope I don't come over all judgemental, but (there's always a but here), you really need to ask yourself questions about continuing drug use. I never used drugs, alcohol was my addictive substance, and I can not see how you can continue with one substance and remain in control of another.
As I say I was never a drug user and I stand ready to be told I am talking out of my ****. Have a good think about what triggered your last drinking session and I reeckon you will already know what you need to do.
I wish you well and I hope your eye is OK.
Very best wishes, thinking of you
Michael