Notices

i did it! i drank one beer! wowza

Old 06-24-2005, 06:30 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hello G: First of all; good luck and I am happy for you that you seem to working for a life that works better than when you were drinking, my AH is still blaming me, you and anyone or anything else for his problems.

That said, as a non-A who just happened to read this thread, something stuck me in what you just wrote that I will share, for what it is worth. It was this phrase , and although I understand where you are coming from with this; let me make an observation, just as food for thought.

"[QUOTE]my only problem with some of my replies were how they were phrased. theres a way to say 'i dont think your moderation drinking is a good idea, ive seen it go wrong' instead of 'good luck with that! it will never work and u will fail!' u know what i mean? im all for opinions and disagreements, but especially with such a sensitive topic as alc abuse, theres a way to say things."

You see, saying something like stopping doing something that hurts you; something that does not matter to someone; is a NON-ISSUE; do you see my point. It would not be a "sensitive topic". For some one to tell me not to eat strawberries again, if when I did I would break-out in hives, would not offend me. Would I really try to control my intake of strawberries knowing what would/even could just possibly could happen; just so I could eat them until I just got a little itchy? Not unless it meant more to me than avoiding the problems (in this case hives) that I was possibly going to have from doing the behavior.

Now; I know it is not all that cut-and-dried.....I have fought (and to date, beaten) an addiction myself; and usually now I do not think about it much; usually....but almost 30 yrs later, it still whispers to me from time to time.

Just wanted to share this with you as a consideration; good luck with whatever it is you decide!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
9:40 5K

Originally Posted by GshizzleA
i really appreciate the kind words about my post and saying that i should be able to feel free to express what im going through
Originally Posted by GshizzleA
..my only problem with some of my replies were how they were phrased.

Sometimes you will hear things you don't want to, but they may help you immensely if you take it into consideration. You've gotten lots of great advice from people who've "been there". Which is partly why you are posting here right? You should respect their right to express themselves (however they want to phrase it) as much as you appreciate your own freedom of expression.

I've heard the same thing over and over for months here.. and I think ya, ya. I know. But it's slowly sinking in and I have to admit, although I am dead-set on walking the road "my way" it sure does help to have some coaching from the sidelines.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! It's great that you have developed a heightened sense about your drinking, and you should be very proud of what you've achieved.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

"One is too many and a thousand is never enough"
A popular saying among addicts and alcoholics, but you know you're in control of YOUR life. For you,you might not be temped to have another but someone else on here might, if your an alcoholic telling people on here that you had just one and it was great, might alude others to feel that they can do the same thing and be okay because well, she did... lol...but they have control over their lives...and well, good luck to you.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well I was reading your posts because lately I have been questioning a lot of things in my life and I so bad did not want to be an alcoholic and I have been sober for almost three years. You are the only one who knows if you have a problem or not. I had to finally look at how much time and energy I was putting into something that I said didn't control my life. Drinking problem or no drinking problem it appears to be controlling you even if aren't abusing it right now. None of my non-alcoholic friends sit at home and go to soberrecovery to talk about how they don't have a problem and can control their drinking. The weird thing is it doesnt cross their mind when they drink. I know so weird, not to question your drinking and to not have a need to tell everyone you can control your drinking, I cant even imagine that, can you?
Good luck to you and best wishes
Lauren
Old 06-25-2005, 05:35 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Watchin' The Wheels

Hi peoples! Just wanted to post again and this string held my attention. I just had a rough two days struggling with that damn preoccupied booze thinking. I have been sober since 4-30-05 and this crap was the first. I literally felt like I couldn't get it out of my head. I prayed alot. I prayed to get through doing the dishes. How powerful does this problem get? 2 days of pure desire? I hate it!!!!!! I didn't give in. I think it will be harder next time. Lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 05:43 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

approck I think it will be easier next time because you know you can do it. You did it this time so there is your proof.

We alcoholics usually spent quite some years drinking so we can't really expect the cravings to disappear almost immediately.

Congrats on your sobriety and I wish you well...you can do it...you are doing it.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:12 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurenlanai
. I had to finally look at how much time and energy I was putting into something that I said didn't control my life. Drinking problem or no drinking problem it appears to be controlling you even if aren't abusing it right now. None of my non-alcoholic friends sit at home and go to soberrecovery to talk about how they don't have a problem and can control their drinking.
Lauren
ok i see were back to just making G say shes an alcoholic... i thought we moved on from that.

obviously the fact that i am here on these boards is not cuz i have 'no probs with drinking what so ever.' as i said, i thought i was socially drinking too much and wanted to cut down. it has been challenging, i go out now , for at least a month its been, i have one and i am proud of my progress. i am not here to say i have no problems with drinking. it has been a problem, i admit that, and now my life is better. and yes, drinking one beer for me, is a *big deal* when i used to have like 5. so that is why i posted it. i am aware that ppl without drinking problems dont feel the need to post that they just had one. i am sharing this info with people who know how hard it is

peace.