Notices

Help for my brother

Old 10-01-2001, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mg128

Unhappy Help for my brother

My family has a long history of alcoholics. Starting (that I know of) with My grandfather...my father and his brothers. I lost one uncle the year I was born to it so I never had a chance to meet him. My grand father finally went to AA and my other uncle after years of problems and many close calls finally got sober and now is in charge at a facility in Kansas. My dad hit bottom just over two years ago and I took him to the hospital and he cut it dangerously close. The doctor told him if he didn't quit drinking the next time he saw him my dad would have a toe tag on. I'm very proud to say my dad celebrated his two years sober anniversary a couple months ago. Unfortunately this is not all sunshine. This past weekend one of my brothers was in an accident and got a dui. His drinking has been bad for many years and is affecting his family (wife and 3 kids) the rest of us - mom, dad, me and his other two brothers, and his health. It is very difficult to find information on recovery. Specifically on treatment centers. He knows he will need treatment but we don't want to wait for the judge to require it before he goes. He has already started to back slide. This happened 3 days ago and in two days he has gone from "I know I need help and I will do anything I can", to "I am scared, I wasn't drunk but I will do what the judge says". Is there a way to require someone to go to a treatment facility and how do you find them?

Old 10-02-2001, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mg128, hello and welcome to the recovery forum. Listen, you could try the intervention people. Go to this page:
http://www.intervention.com

If you want a listing of recovery houses, just ask. I will do the best I can but I need your city and state.

Just for Today------------I am Sober
Old 10-03-2001, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mg128

Pernell,
Thank you for the link. He is located in Tampa Florida. Any information would be helpful. Again, thank you.

Old 10-03-2001, 07:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

mg128, I have located three very good places. you can make the call and self-refer to these programs.

1. Tampa Crossroads
202 West Columbus Drive
Tampa, Florida
813-228-9226 http://www.tampa-crossroads.com

2. Phoenix House of Florida
1718 West Cass Street
Tampa, Florida
813-254-3776

3. DACCO
Drug Abuse Comprehensive Coordinator Office
4422 East Columbus Drive
Tampa, Florida