Notices

9 days

Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

9 days

Hello all,

I just wanted to let all the anonomous people inhabiting this website to know what a great source of inspiratin they have been to me. My first week was nightmarish and I am finally getting some sleep. I still have the sweats and shakes a bit but my heartrate is normalizing (thank God) and I am thinking like a new person. Does anyone have any informatin on Rational recovery? It would be a great help. Thank you all.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

sdpablo,

I read some of "Rational Recover" and it helped. But what really help me was "Sober for Good" by Anne M. Fletcher. It talks about all of the recovery programs and how they've helped others with their problems with alcohol. Check it out!

Bookie12
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sdpablo,welcome to SoberRecovery and congrats on 9 days.Here is the link for Rational Recovery http://www.rational.org/
Old 05-24-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are seeking recovery. 9 days! Great!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Michael

Well done on your nine days sober. I am an advocate of Rational Recovery and find that it works for me. I was directed to their site from a very kind contributor here and as soon as I had accessed it I knew that it was just the right thing for me. I have tried AA but I find it counter-productive. There are a number of reasons for this; I am not religious and do not believe in the notion of higher power. I am affected by the stories of others at AA to the extent that I doubt my own addiction. These doubts led in the past to me going back to alcohol and I am not about to take the risk again. Probably the biggest drawback is the central belief of AA, that we are powerless over our addiction. Well I don't, can't, buy that. If I don't have the inner power to defeat a physical addiction and I don't believe in a HP, how will I ever overcome it?

For me recovery is a personal, internal battle. It is fought in my own mental processes and the weapon I find most effective is offered by Rational Recovery. You can run through their programme in less than half an hour to get the basic tools and if you find it useful then that is wonderful. If you find that you need a spiritual dimension to assist you then you would be better to give AA a try. I am firm in my own beliefs and would never criticise those of people who have HP's or who need the support of a belief system, it just isn't for me.

Whatever you decide on I wish you every success in your search for a method that suits you personally. As the saying goes; for every old sock there's an old shoe.

Michael
Old 05-25-2005, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Pablo

Conrgatulations on your 9 days sober. I just wanted to add to what Michael has written...

There is no reason that you can't incorporate methods and tools from various programs. I embrace both parts of myself in my recovery...my intellectual capacities to overcome my addiction and my spiritual self. It has been important to me to maintain an openess to what different programs offer and not to be intimidated by any message that feels cohersive.

I am finding that I am in such a great state of change in my early sobriety, that my needs for and understanding of different approaches is ever shifting.

Best Wishes in finding your path.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Congrat's on your nine days. Keep comming back to SR.