Notices

drinking to help with stomach pain

Old 05-23-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
still moment by moment

drinking to help with stomach pain

I was addicted to vicodin and I have two brothers that are out of the closet alcoholics. I know that I am about two steps away from alcoholism and my bout with vicodin was just a fast forward. I am significantly younger than my brothers and I am probably just behind them.

I have had a stomach ache for several days. On Saturday I tried an experiment. The stomach was hurting bad and we had to go to a family gathering. I mixed myself a big drink and guess what - the stomach ache went away.

I know it was self-medicating. I know how dangerous that little experiment was. At this point I still can stay away from alcohol and I am doing that. This little experiment proves even further to me that I have some real problems.

What is this stomach pain? I know my brother has told me repeatedly that he drank so much because it is the only thing that would help his stomach pain. He tried different anxiety medicine but this drinking is the only thing that would ease his pain. And no, he wasn't getting enough help but at least I understand it.

If this stomach ache was caused by stress or something like that - well - it was awfully painful. Very painful. My parents used to tell me that my Dad gave himself uclers when he was alive from the stress he felt. He did not self-medicate thank goodness.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Could there be medical reasons for the pain? The drink was a double, but it provided so much physical relief.

I have to figure this out so I don't follow that path of self-medicating. My brother has told me with tears that drinking was the only thing that made his stomach stop hurting. I feel so bad right now about that - because I understand. On Saturday I did exactly what he had been doing for the past few years.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I'd say talk to your pharmacist and see if something over-the-counter will relieve the pain. If it doesn't, then you probably should go to the doctor, OK? It could very well be stress-related and could be solved with something as simple as Maalox Plus, but I really suggest you seek some professional advice.
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-23-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic there was practically no pain in the world a drink couln'nt cure. It was a darn good excuse to have a drink ( as if I needed any ) and I stuck to it.

Boy, did I ache.

Stop self medicating and visit your doctor right away.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Gee.. it is time to see a doctor...and tell him about your addiction to pain meds. Lying will not help him in diagnosing.

Hope you will get medical help soon.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You really should go see a DR.

Have a few test run. A colonoscopy and what is the one called down the throat? Alcohol will kill the pain temporarily but them the alcohol will make your stomach lining weaker, so you are not really helping yourself.

You really should go talk honestly with a DR.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
still moment by moment

I will tell my Doctor and he already knows about my addiction. I just wonder though - the stomach pain - is this anxiety? What about the alcohol goes right to the pain? The pain is like a big ball of lead right at the bottom of my rib cage. I just was amazed and I totally understand what my brother was talking about. (you wonder though - which came first - the physical ailments or the addiction?)

Is anxiety a medical condition? I don't understand about that, but I will look into it.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had anxeity, I have had panic attacks, the only stomach problem I experienced with it was THE RUNS...really not good. I think that pain would be more related to stomach lining not so much a mental challenge. Although, my 10 y.o can give himself stomach aches from working himself up on ocassion but that also generally ends by coming out the end.

I would guess too much acid, and possibly over eating more than anxiety. However; I am a female, maybe men react differently. Your dad had stomach pain but that was after ulcers were present, do you see what I mean?

Great anxeity med- xanax. but also can be addictive, if the DR prescribes too much. I was given it and I always cut the dose in half or by more. I could feel myself come down when I took the prescribed dose.

Yes, talk to your Dr. or look up Gastroenterologist.
Wasn't there a study or confirmation that ulcers can be a bacteria? I believe sometimes treated with antibiotics.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Erin,
You should see your doctor.
As for the drinking, you know the answer to your question. You are substiuting one addiction for another and as you said, you are just a step away from it getting out of control. We addicts will look for any excuse to self medicate.
Run, don't walk to your doctor. :xmasu
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Which side is the pain on? I used to have terrible pains in my stomach and I mean absolutely horrible. The pain turned out to be my gallbladder. The gallbladder had to be removed and now my stomach feels so much better.

Get a checkout from a Dr. and don't self-medicate. Drinking will probably end up aggravating things in the long run. Take care of yourself without alcohol.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

The one down the throat is called an endoscopy.

Anxiety can DEFINITELY manifest itself physically! Especially in the digestive tract. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) certainly seems to be related to anxiety and can cause severe abdominal pain. So can ulcers which are also exacerbated by anxiety. The list goes on. But, unfortunately, as addicts, it is usually not good for us to take the usual anti-anxiety meds like Xanax because we tend to get addicted to them. Imagine that! LOL. Which means we're basically left with treating the symptoms. And there are plenty of totally non-addicting ways to do that. Let us know how it goes with the doctor, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-25-2005, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Have you considered that it might be the alcohol that is hurting your stomach??

My husband used to have horrible stomach problems, and guess what? A drink always relieved the pain.

He quit drinking for a while, and the stomach issues magically disappeared after a while. Alcohol can screw up your whole digestive track.

Having said that, you really should see a doctor. They can check you out and make sure there is nothing seriously wrong.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Erin,
Did you get checked out yet? I hope so!

Love and hugs,
Eddie