Notices

and still i rise

Old 05-19-2005, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and still i rise

We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.
Maya Angelou

After 3 relaspe i wasn"t sure if i could come back. Self pitty had taken over. I had lost site of my recovery. I found mysef more worried about what the the people that was supporting me would think. It wasn't until i got into recovery that i really found out the meaning of caring for someone. I never really allowed anyone into my heart i was so busy numbing that i never really felt what it was like to have someone love me just the way i am. I am an Alcoholic and addict and my sick mind would tell me that i was not worthy. i could not let anyone know me because i was sick and i didn't want anyone to know because i felt that i was the worse person in the world. I have two months clean now and I pray that i will continue to grow in my recovery. I have the tools i know my triggers, i have a sponsor, my problem is using what i know to stay sober, picking up the phone staying out of slippery places, making no excuses. I feel like i hurt everyone that is a part of my recovery so much when i relasped and it caused me to be dishonest. I was only being dishonest to myself this is my recovery and my focus has to be on me and not what everyone else thinks. I truely believe that i never have to take another drink and i am worried that i will. for me to stay sober i have to go to meetings and talk to my sponsor, I have to see my counselor and keep it honest. most of all i have to pray. there is no other way. but yet i still worry that i will take another drink. cunning baffling and powerful. I keep coming back this time i want to stay!
Old 05-19-2005, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

(((luckfosho)))
Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things!!
Congrats on your clean time!!
What others think of me is none of my business!!
I do believe that fear of taking a drink is a healthy fear...that fear today keeps me going to meetings.
I guess when i lose that fear, even for a split second, then i'm in trouble!!!
Glad you're here, keep coming back!!!
\\// Wendy
Old 05-19-2005, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyfosho
It wasn't until i got into recovery that i really found out the meaning of caring for someone. I never really allowed anyone into my heart i was so busy numbing that i never really felt what it was like to have someone love me just the way i am. I am an Alcoholic and addict and my sick mind would tell me that i was not worthy. i could not let anyone know me because i was sick and i didn't want anyone to know because i felt that i was the worse person in the world.
Me, too, lucky - me too. This disease is out to kill us any way it can. But the gifts of recovery are many and we do recover. Congrats on your clean time. Keep coming back or, better yet, just stay.

hugs,

phinny
Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I was in and out of AA for years. Took me countless tries and 5 years to earn a 1 year medallion!

Simewhere alomg the way my fear fled. Step work was the key I think.

Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also was in and out for years, admit it Don, OK! 20 years. I 'm not sure why, I kept trying, when in most cases I gave up hopes and dreams quick. I have all kinds of chips from AA. I was going to give them to a group but, instead have them in a zip lock in the open to remind me of the struggle. This sounds crazy but, all of a sudden something somebody told me 10 years ago makes sense or a sloggan all of a sudden I understand. My doctor at the VA asked me what has made the difference this time.
I didn't know, I told him, this time. Heck, many of the things I'm doing now I did before.
I guess it boils down to I just didn't want to stop before. And saying I wanted to was saying what others wanted to hear. Don W