Notices

can't move...

Old 05-10-2005, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
WiserthanBud

Unhappy can't move...

I'm new member as of today, looking for information, 48 years old, smoked a pack a day and drank lots of beer everyday for 30 years, 18+ over past three, lost left kidney Feb 13, 2004 to cancer, got acute pancreatitis Feb 13, 2005, spent 5 days in hospital for detox, been dry and smoke free since. Hear anything about sore arms and legs after stop drinking? I have very sore arms and legs, feels like I ran ten miles and did weight lifting yesterday. Been like this for over a month now, when I sit too long my legs cramp up, can't work, get depressed. Doctors call it Toxic Myopathy, can't say how long it lasts. Anybody experience this?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Look for my email Hawk. I've had a similar experience with muscle pain.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just typed an answer and erased it by mistake. I've had the same problem as you. Even though I've been sober for almost 2 years. After I sit for awhile I have trouble moving. Many ask what is wrong. I've been told two things. First off our nerve endings are returning to life after being asleep for years. Alcohol is in the same family as anesthesia. My doctor at the VA told me what I believe is a laymans term for Toxic Myopathy, Alcohol Arthritis. Not much has helped. I've found it to be worse after excercise involving my legs. Instead of building strength, they get weaker. In fact, I get to the point I have to crash for sometimes the week end. I'm not sleepy tired but, physical tired from having fight the weak legs. How about going down a flight of stairs?
This is a problem for me. I've got to be sure to hold on to keep from falling. Going up stairs or hill isn't a problem. Someone has suggested Massarge Theraphy to me. Although, about a year and a half ago I tried it. I felt like I had walked 10 miles. Don W
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
WiserthanBud

so, i'm not alone

Don, Sounds just like what I'm trying to describe. Some days good, some days real bad. feels like leg is asleep, trying to wake up. affects limbs, neck, hips, elbows, ankles butt and feet. would like to mind more people with this experience, what time frsmes and prblems they indured. thanks fo all input
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Hey Hawk.......I experience some of the same symptoms, but the doc told me it was neuropathy. Nerve damage after years of insane drinking. She said it'll improve slightly but never fully recover. But my best bet was to quit drinking because the damage wont get any worse. I've been sober for 2 years and I'm still reminded everyday what drinking has caused me physically. Drinking to excess causes a myriad of health problems. I say to all who still drink to excess. Don't drink anymore.....For me it was that easy. Sure, I still groan walking pass a beer cooler and just know how good a budweiser would taste. But I'd be dead ass drunk in less than two hours if I drank one of them because I understand how the alcoholic mind works. And that means knowing about neurotransmitters and the whole anatomy of how alcohol works in the brain. That was the key for me. Alcohol Education. I can't drink alcohol because I'm an alcoholic.......
Old 05-11-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Walker, I agree with you. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a situation you can't change. The pain we talk about is a daily reminder of the physical abuse my body was put through. I have been helped setting priorities in my recovery. Most everything has returned. Like I mentioned except for the ability to move fast. However, I've adjusted by going after slow girls. Don W
Old 05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
WiserthanBud

i'm surprisseed that almost 200 people read this thread and only 3 had any physical ailments, congrats to all the healthy recoveries
Old 05-23-2005, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hHi Hawk...

Perhaps some of the readers were helped by your sharing and the replies. They mnight see a doctor.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about trying a helath food store. It really sounds like low potasium to me. Do you eat well? I know there are great products in the health food stores including natural healing books. I own a few. Hey, I have never looked up alcohol abuse in them...hummmm where have my priorities been.

I know that sometimes tow days after a hang over I can get cramping. But that I usually avoid it by tkaing loads of water and lemonade and eating a banana.

Also, your Dr should have more to say about it than just a NAME. Geez...this is no rare disease, it is pretty wide spread!!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
WiserthanBud

BIG CAUTION!!!! MY DR PESCRIBED WATER PILLS (ALDACTONE) DUE TO ME RETAINING WATER AFTER STOPPING ALCOHOL, THEN WAS TREATED FOR HIGH CHOLESTROL WITH CRESTOR, WARNING:, DO NOT LET DOCTORS GIVE YOU CRESTOR AND ALDACTONE AT THE SAME TIME, REASON FOR THIS THREAD, TOXIC MYOPATHY, YOU CAN VERIFY AT WWW.FDA.COM (FOOD & DRUG ADMIN) LOOK UP SIDE EFFECTS AND WARNINGS OF CRESTOR

THANKS FOR READING ORIGIONAL THREAD
HAWK
Old 05-30-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Great thread!

I've been sober for 3 years now and still have pain and weakness in my legs. What really made me nuts was the burning sensation I experience in my feet...another sign of alcoholic neuropathy. I have begun in earnest to walk daily and the exercise helps alot and keeps me from whining too much!

I know I always read the directions for use last but wouldn't you think there would be warnings on those beautiful bottles of Absolute vodka and single malt whiskies????? Yes, I see "drink responsibly" slogans on ads for booze but don't you think there should be a warning about what drunkeness does to your legs, eyes, feet and nervous system!

For anyone reading this who has begun to think they might have a problem with drinking, listen up! These physical problems are real! They're the one thing that the 12 Steps can't heal and they are irreversible!

thanks again for the topic, sorry for ranting on...
Old 05-30-2005, 04:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank

you Hawk! I will check out the link.

Blessings
Old 05-30-2005, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, I only get funny feelings when I wake up after getting hammered. 3:00 am my body is out of water and arms go to sleep, seems not enough blood pressure since lack of water.

I always hydrate aggressively as soon as I wake up, sometimes by morning I am fully hydrated but it takes a lot of water. I take 20 pills each morning and exercise daily so although I have drank like a fish for decades I dont have any of the problems you speak of.

Further I noticed that consuming brocoli makes my testosterone spike really strong - alcohol crushes it. Get some multivitamins and eat a ton of brocoli.