Notices

Campral

Old 09-24-2002, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I like cake

Campral

My doctor has just prescribed this, also known as Acamprosate.

Does anyone have any experience of it?

What should I expect?

This has come after my first alcohol withdrawal seizure, after attempting to cut back before starting a new job. I ended up being ambulanced to the ER during lunchtime on my first day. Fortunately, my new colleagues are not aware of the real problem, but i am desperate to give up as at present I have to drink during the working day as well as at night. This cannot continue but I am scared of having another seizure. i was very lucky to have it witnessed and i was treated right away.... I live in fear of collapsing in the street or at night or somewhere I am not safe.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Magic Rabbit
Old 09-24-2002, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Magic Rabbit - check out this page:

http://www.doctordeluca.com/Document...ateSummary.htm

The address is so long that part of it is missing here, but you should be able to click on it and it will take you to the page.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DANNO-65

Hi magic rabbit, hope you're ok.....That was quite a harrowing tale you told...I would just like to say that I have used campral, and in my own personal experience, I found it very helpful in quelling cravings. I can't recall how long I was using it, only for a month or two and I didn't notice any major side effects. I have been advised by my doctor that it may work more effectively when used in conjunction with counselling or meetings, to re-affirm your commitment.
Hope all goes well......
DANNO_65

Old 10-08-2002, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Magic Rabbit

I also used Acamprosate for a while at the end of my drinking, but it didn't make much difference to my drinking. I was then put on Antabuse, which causes bad reactions if you take alcohol, and had several episodes of drinking and having bad reactions.

I eventually went to Alcoholics Anonymous, and am now 15 months sober. As Danno says, you need support as well as medication.

I wish you well

Michael