Notices

Need to quite and need help

Old 04-28-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need to quite and need help

I need to quit drinking. I don't drink every day, but when I do, I drink too much. I'm scared. Seems socially alcohol is always around. I work with a lot of people who drink regularly and like to talk about it. I'm really scared.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Einstein,

Welcome! I'm glad you found us and you made a great decision to stop drinking. We can offer lots of support. Try to take small steps, that is, don't think 'forever' because it can be overwhelming. I know that many of us, including me, had to make some hard decisions in the process of quitting drinking. And, one of those decisions is who we spend time with. I know that I definitely could not have been around people who were drinking regularly and talking about it when I stopped drinking.

I hope you keep visiting and get to know us.

Anna
Old 04-28-2005, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate, i know it is only a matter of time before i reach the point of lossing everything dear to me and i don't want to get there; i'm scared and this demon has so much control
Old 04-28-2005, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
new life

Welcome to S/R einstein, alcohol is big biz and will always be around, come in and read some of these post, its a great place to start!
Old 04-28-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs down

Oops!

Last edited by CarolD; 04-28-2005 at 07:39 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome

EINSTEIN

SR is a great place for information and support.

AA meetings are where I found sober friends.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help and support. I wish I wasn't so scared. Scared to admit I have a problem because that means I am like my Dad who has always been an alcoholic.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Einstein
Welcome to SR...
I think you will like it here... you will find support and understanding in your quest for a sober lifestyle.
We live in a culture that romanticize's alcohol and you can't turn a corner without seeing a promotion for booze or rarely watch a movie where it isn't present.
It takes extra effort to learn to live and have a lifestyle that does not contain alcohol, that is why we usually find the easiest route is to bond together with other's who share our own stories in dealing with recovery from alcohol.
But for those of us who have decided that we no longer want what alcohol offers(in the end it pretty much offered this alcoholic the promise of death).... it is well worth the effort.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Hey I was scared to, but the fact that I finally accepted I was what I was the work could be done! You'll get a great deal of support from this community, so keep coming back.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you found your way here. Stick around, read, and learn. Life is much better without alcohol.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EINSTEIN
Thank you for your help and support. I wish I wasn't so scared. Scared to admit I have a problem because that means I am like my Dad who has always been an alcoholic.
Einstein, welcome! My dad was an alcoholic too. Although he cut down on the drinking during his last few years of life, he never came out and admitted it. Being honest with yourself is the first step. It only gets better.

I'm scared too. Optimistic, but scared. Keep hanging around here.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome to the site. Read some of the posts and try and make some sense of how your life is going. I've read many times, if you think you have a problem, you have a problem.

Avoid the drinkers at all cost if, you can. Is this a peer pressure issue? I don't hang around people that drink heavy. I miss them but, God and sobriety are the most important things in my life today
Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Michael

Hello Einstein and welcome to Sober recovery. I am sure that you will get tremendous benefit from posting and reading the threads here. I know I have.

Like you I work in a drink fuelled environment. When I stopped drinking all of my work colleagues wanted to know why. I gave the the excuse that I had been unwell (not really a lie) and that I had been advised to lay off alcohol for a while until I was better. The problem of course is that whilst you can admit to yourself, your family and close friends that you are an alcoholic it is not so straightforward at work. Issues of trust, ability, promotability and safety may be hung on the knowledge that you are an alcoholic. In my opinion it is best to give a vague excuse and allow time to dull any interest that colleagues may show.
I can now go to a bar or a pub and have a soft drink whilst my colleagues are on alcoholic drinks. It doesn't bother me at all. I figure that if I try to avoid alcohol I run the risk of becoming isolated and I don't want to do that.
When I first came off alcohol I found it very difficult to sit in bars and restaurants but I persevered and as I say it is not a problem now.
You need to do what is best for you, in sobriety only you will know what ithat best choice is. I and the others who contribute to this site will give you the benefit of our personal experience and you can pick it up or discard it at will. There is no universal cure for alcoholism, but you will always find friendship and support here to help you find your own way to a happier and healthier future.
Very best wishes for a sober future
Michael
Old 04-28-2005, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiya Einstin (Excuse my spelling) i can relate. I only drink about once or twice a week (Now) but when i do i dont know when to stop and will drink until im so drunk i get 5 hour blackouts and have no idea where i have been. This is what frightens me. I have just joined too and am finding it very useful reading through posts already, i hope you do too.

Take care, bonnie,xxxx
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Red face

Originally Posted by EINSTEIN
YOU are NOT your dad, you are just you. Admitting that you have a problem with drinking is a good thing, my Dad was an alcoholic and I am an addict...we are not alike except that we both covered up all our issues with some substance. I never wanted to be like HIM...he was sooo sick...I ended up doing drugs and my personality was not like his...just my using. You are an individual and we are all different...I am glad to see you are here......kahlia
Old 04-28-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, your message gave me great comfort