Notices

Inpatient rehab: how useful was it?

Old 04-22-2005, 05:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inpatient rehab: how useful was it?

Those of you who went to treatment centers, how useful was it for you? I really would rather not go that route, but I realize that I cannot rule anything out. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and those of your acquaintances.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Wild1,

I'm going through the same thought process at this exact moment. If anyone out there can help us with this, please reply...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi wild one.

Simply put, I doubt I would have the little sober time I have now if I hadn't experienced residential treatment.
I also believe that one gets as much out of it as one puts in.

In a nutshell, the counselor assigned to me told me the first day that we were going to break and remake me. That may sound ominous, but it really is indicative of what I experienced while I was there.
I'm grateful I went through with it. I was a voluntary participant, and one of only three out of twenty five clients left at the end.

I'll never forget the time I spent there.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't you only have to go through inpatient if you're phyiscally addicted to alcohol? I'm completely psychologically addicted, but not physically. But it's so hard for me to get myself to a meeting. I was sober for 3 years, but after relapsing it's so much harder. It feels impossible if I don't go through inpatient. I guess it's a personal choice?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi blackc@, and welcome to SR.

I don't know what the requirements are for admission to residential treatment in California. I would imagine a chemical dependancy assessement of some kind. I've heard of people actually going back to treatment after years of sobriety, simply because they felt they needed to be immersed again in the daily regimentation of the environment.

If you're considering it, as a matter of personal choice, I believe that's all that matters, and that you won't be required to qualify your addiction as physical, or anything else.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey wild1, blac@,

my experience with rehab was good - i was in a place with all kinds of people who had problems similar to mine. I was able to see in that group results of continuing to switch my drug of choice, and paterns of using. Part of addiction for me was searching for a combination that would work for me - I could see the results in others of their experiments with using. I realized that no matter what the drug, the results would be the same. I was able to see that i needed to give up any reservations that i could use or drink anything - It wasnt the drink or the drug at that point, it was the behavior, It was my mind that was the problem. ANY drug would unlock the destructive power of my addiction- my mind to destroy me.

THE most helpfulk thing that i got out of rehab - I would have to do something every day to treat my addiction. I needed the support of other addicts and alcoholics who were sober. They could show mwe the way -

god bless -

Aaron
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
old enough to know BETTER!!!!!

HI!

I may not be the right person to respond to you, as I just joined this forum two days ago myself.

I can just tell you that YOU MUST BE READY for rehab. YOU MUST WANT HELP! You have to be ready to admit YOU NEED HELP. The reason I say that is that my family sort of pushed me into rehab 3 years ago, but I rebelled and although I went, I thought it was a joke because I convinced myself I *didn't have a problem* and I DIDN'T belong there. HOW WRONG I WAS!

This past week I WANTED to go to rehab on my own but couldn't because of other responsibilities (I have two teenage girls) and now I feel as though I missed my chance to truly get help ..... 3 years ago!

I know first hand that there are people there that REALLY want to help and can TRULY be a lifesaver, but YOU MUST WANT help or it will be useless.

TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY and GO to rehab. DO IT FOR YOUSELF! Don't waste any more time. You owe it to yourself to be YOURSELF and we (myself included) have been living out of the bottom of a bottle, or drugged for much too long. There's so much more to life ...... I just wished I had realized that 3 years ago. Sadly, it takes hitting ROCK bottom to realize what we're doing to ourselves and those around us who love us. We just can't see it through the FOG that alcohol, or drugs, or both put us into.

Since you are inquiring about rehab, I'm assuming that you are ready to get and accept help! GOOD FOR YOU ..... DO IT!

I hope I've helped!

I'd love to know what you decide and if you do go, I'd also love to know how you did and if it helped you. I KNOW IT WILL!

Wishing you luck. Atleast you are lucky that you discovered this website where there are so many folks that want to help and that can relate to our addiction. I only wish that I had found this *home* long ago!

God bless!
Maria
Old 04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My husband drug me to rehab.. I was too loaded to kick or scream. Once I was there and after the formalities of saying goodbye I found myself with a very large very sweet woman who took my blood pressure and then gave me some medication (valium) to help me not go crazy looking for the next drink/bag. I was a drunk that had experienced alcoholic seizures when booze was withdrawn. I learned from prior experience that I needed the medication. Did you know a person can die from alcohol withdrawel but not heroin or other drugs?????? Medication is important.

I got a great education about addiction there and I made a couple of life long friends. Great support for the roller coaster of emotions that happen. The time to think about yourself without the family and over concerned friends. Always something to eat around including cookies and my rehab had pretty good food and even a vegetarian option.

So there's my 2 cents worth. I say "Just do it!"

Yours in sobriety,
Michele
Old 04-22-2005, 09:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stayed in rehab 7 days. Without it, I know I would still be drinking. The on site counseling & group therapies were well worth it. I was only there 7 days, but those people became as close to me as my family. I am happy I did it, and would pick rehab again if I needed too.
Kelli
Old 04-22-2005, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I would echo what "findingme" said about rehab, you really have to want it. If someone else is pushing you to it and you aren't ready to so whatever you have to do to stay sober, it is probably not going to work. I did two stints in in-patient treatment programs, neither kept me sober, but I just wasn't ready yet. I did learn from both experiences and the knowledege has helped me in the long run, but nobody can do it for you. In-patient treatment is just more concentrated help.

As far as whether you need to be physically addicted, I think you are speaking of detox. Detox is for people who are physically addicted, but treatment is for people who have a problem with drugs or alcohol. Hope that answers your question.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been to 4 rehabs and although they are great solutions and help many people, you must be ready and willing. I went for other people such as family, friends and the law...unfortunetly I never did it for me and I didn't stay sober. When someone finally gets beaten down enough to really want to be sober, the doors open and it really is very simple. The tough part is learning to live sober...not necessarily learning not to drink. I think I looked at rehab like I did alcohol...a quick solution to a huge problem. Looking at rehab that way didn't work for me...while there I was fine, but afterwards I didn't have the structure of rehab to cope and went back to alcohol. Sorry if I sound like a downer, but that is my experience. Good luck in your decision.

John
Old 04-22-2005, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

luckily for me there were treament centers available. i was no longer able to function on the outside anyway, so treatment was a safe haven for me.
i didn't do exaxtly what i was told to, but it gave me a place to grow and sort things out.
by the way, i didn't do the 2x4, i did 90 days inpatient and 6 months in a halfway house. without it i wouldn't have survived, let alone got clean.
but, like the others pointed out, your motivations will be a big determining factor in your success, or failure.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by findingme
This past week I WANTED to go to rehab on my own but couldn't because of other responsibilities (I have two teenage girls) and now I feel as though I missed my chance to truly get help ..... 3 years ago!
I have three children, age 17, 8, and 6, so I'm right with you on the conflict with responsibilities. My issue is a conflict between getting myself upright and my family ties. (I'm very concerned about the family visitation policy at our local place here; it might sound like rationalization but it really isn't.)

I found it very helpful to see the lessons everyone learned from going through treatment, and to see the qualities I need to develop in living my daily life.

At this point, I will probably go back to AA before I go into treatment. Even though I have some issues with it, I think it would be frightening for my kids to think that their mommy was sick and they couldn't go visit her. Of course, it will be even more frightening for them if I continue to drink, so I am still open to whatever it is I need to do.

I am embarking on day 3.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Wild1,
Congrats on day 3, day 4, day 5, day 6 and day 7.

If you are considering treatment, there's generally a reason. You either genuinely want the help or you want to get someone off your back. If you want a reason to go to treatment, think about how much "visitation time" you are going to get from sitting in your local jail or in prison. Your kids are just going to want mommy to get better.

My treatment experience was wonderful. I was 17 at the time, got placed in a lock up unit; contemplated suicide and running every day I was there. They messed with my brain so well, I thought that my parents had abandoned me and I was going to be living on the streets when I got out of treatment. I saw my parents once when I was in treatment for 24 days..and that was part of therapy. Treatment saved my life. Though I wasn't thoroughly convinced at the beginning I wanted treatment or sobriety; I learned that it was a life and death disease and I best decide which I wanted...

Good luck. By the way, sober for 14 years now. Haven't had a drink of alcohol since the night I went into treatment. Regularly attend AA, work the steps, and having a very happy and serene life with my husband and 2 children.

Jen
Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

Going to residential treatment absolutely saved my life. I had sort of a different experience with it too. I went in, voluntarily, knowing I was an alcoholic and ready to stop drinking, but completely disregarding my marijuana addiction. I knew I needed to stop smoking pot in order to get some of the stuff straightened out in my head, but I truly believed I could go back to smoking after a while. They decided I should try day treatment at first, and I willingly agreed, still believing I could give up the pot. Unfortunately, though, I could not. After two weeks of going to day treatment and not being able to leave the pot alone, I checked myself in for the 30 day residential treatment program. It was the best decision I have ever made. I am so grateful for the time I spent there. It was the hardest thing I had to do, but it really kick started my recovery. The schedule was exhausting, not the least of which was a two-hour group therapy session every day.

Of the twenty-five or so women I went to treatment with, there are only 3 who I KNOW are still clean and sober today. I don't say that to discourage you, just to let you know that you really do have to WANT IT for it to work. I have been clean and sober for over 14 months now--not a long time in the grand-scheme of things, but longer than I have ever stayed sober in my whole adult life.

Hope what I said helped!!!!!