Notices

good news/bad news

Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

good news/bad news

the good news is, is that i didn't recieve any bad news from my physician....apparently i had a slightly elevated level of glucose, otherwise i am in completely perfect heatlh.

the bad news is, is that i started drinking again the minute i heard this. this is f#$%% up. i was so pissed off at my self when i thought i might have hurt myself, and i thought i was scared straiight (as i might have said in my previous postings). so now, here i am, drinking again? its like i think i have a little bit more leeway so i'm going to take it. but i can already forsee, the future. i see what i am doing right now and i know i will regret it, so i need to take the bull by the horns.

i think one thing that is important for us to realize is that it will not be easier tomorrow......"gather up all your tommorows and all you have is empty yesterdays"

i have had, like 20 day 1's. that is okay.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well now you have a chance for day 21....and hopefully day 21 #2, #3, ETC.

-pedagogue
Old 04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi ninthchance...

Hmm...I guess the only disease you have is untreated alcoholism.

And you know how to ZAP that.

Glad to see you.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ninth,

I quit over three years ago by reading the Rational Recovery website Crash Course...that was after years of chronic abusive drinking. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. There is a mental tool on that site (AVRT) that is extremely effective at teaching you how to end the cycle.

One of the interesting things that I read in Jack Trimpey's book is that addiction is a result of health, not of disease. Addiction is our "pleasure drive" stuck on full throttle. I thought about that when I read that you drank right after finding out you were in great health.

I really do wish you the best...and I hope you use everything at your disposal to kick this thing once and for all.

Warmly,

India
Old 04-14-2005, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I wouldn't be so bold to say I'll never drink again. God only knows, I haven't a clue. Just curious, if you were told you had cancer, would you take radiation treament to try and put it in remission? I won't even say go to AA. I'll tell you it's worked for me for almost 6 years now. This is hard to quit drinking by your self.

What's your life style like? You have to make changes in your life stylwe or, you'll continue to drink. I had to give up being around people that drank. I gave up going to the bars etc. I learned what made me angry sad etc. to cause me to feel the urge to drink. Do you know what your triggers are?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rationalrecovery.org
There are no Rational Recovery groups anywhere in the world! Your desire for “support” is nothing more than a plan to get loaded in the absence of support.

Stay away from recovery groups of all kinds. You can’t possibly recover there, and they’ll never let you go.

Your beliefs about God are perfect for now. If you try to create a god of your own understanding, it will only be made in the image of your addiction. Seek God only if you are interested once you are fully recovered.
Hmmm. No support. Then why come to a place like SR, which is all about support?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by ninthchance
its like i think i have a little bit more leeway so i'm going to take it.
Exactly. It's a common thing among people with a drinking problem. We scare ourselves silly, only to resume our behavior at the first opportunity.
In my case, that reflected a deep sense of self loathing, spawned from childhood events, compounded by the absolute knowledge that I was an alcoholic, that I drank to get drunk.
The first time I had to get my stomach pumped didn't change my behavior.
The desire to stop and stay stopped comes from within.
Some of us need more convincing than others.
Be safe ninthchance, and don't give up looking for the desire.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Blaze05 - I purchased the book "Rational Recovery." And though it's only been just over 4 months since my last drink, I too can say "I will never drink again...and I will never change my mind." Peace.

Bookie12
Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Blaze, I logged onto the site rational recovery last night and stayed for about an hour or so. Thanks so much for the link and information. I agree with much of what was said about AA, the disease concept etc., and also the personal experience I had with AA (never ask questions, don't think, use pat phrases, AA jargons and slogans instead, etc) that they repeated. I'm going to get the book. Did you subscribe to the site or just take the crash course? "I will never drink again. Forever."
Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ninthchance,
Everyone has exactly as many Day #1's as it takes. It took me nearly a year after coming here to actually quit drinking! Things in my life just weren't bad enough, no matter how much I wanted to stop for some reason....I just couldn't. This site is wonderful in that it can offer advice and a 'safe' environment anytime day or night. When I was first trying to quit it became very important to keep it close at hand. Using a combination of AA,Smart and This website I managed to finally put it all together....
Best of luck to you!
Csmcjewl